Melted tealight cup

Well I have really looked at that picture and sat here amazed mainly because that massive kind of melting didn't happen from just a bit of wax left in the bottom and it was relight.

Look at the wick it is still very large that was put in a tealight house or an in-closed tart warmer or some thing similar. No wick will stay lite long enough with out fuel for it to do that kind of damage even in a tea light house or warmer.

I feel your customer lied to you.

Well I have really looked at that picture and sat here amazed mainly because that massive kind of melting didn't happen from just a bit of wax left in the bottom and it was relight.

Look at the wick it is still very large that was put in a tealight house or an in-closed tart warmer or some thing similar. No wick will stay lite long enough with out fuel for it to do that kind of damage even in a tea light house or warmer.

I would have to agree with Vicky..I think someone is not telling the whole story. I use these all the time with out a problem. Looks like it was put in a tealight warmer or something. You need the metal ones for those.

Vicky, I have to agree, that looks like it was torched or something. No way it was just leftover wax.

When I 1st decided to make tea lights, I tested both metal & plastic. I tried purposely to get the worst case scenario & it get it to do something just like this.

I always ran out of wick long before it would get anywhere near hot enough to melt the plastic.

I agree with the last few posters in that there's definitely more to the story than what she shared with you.

I agree. There is something fishy going on

I have been using plastic for years....never had one melt. Never. If it were put in an enclosed environment.....it just might melt.....that is what that looks like to me. Put me in an enclosed environment and I will melt. You know, body heat. Donita

Something fishy happened there.......and it is not me smelling just me shoes (went camping all weekend with the family):laugh2:

I just can not believe that the whole cup is melted. She really must of had some kind of party going on. 35% of my sales are tea lights, I have never had one melt. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

I can see this happening if the consumer put the cup in an unstable holder or any type of holder with a rounded bottom, where there is an air pocket beneath the cup and the cup is slightly tilted while burning. That is why I always make the consumer aware only to burn on a heat resistant and stable surface as the unbalanced holder will make the wick shift to the walls of the cup while burning and will cause a fire.

I doubt if she/he will admit it to you, but before you point out all of these scenerios, ask her/him to show you the holder they were burning it in. :)

I still havent seen her yet, I guess she has been sick so she hasnt been at work (there is a group home next door to me, I work there sometimes also)

I am still planning on asking what she put it in...I keep looking at it and wondering...I have never seen that happen...not to that extent...

I have seen crooked wicks melt the sides a bit, but never like this...

You guys are right the wick is long..I measured and it is 5/8" long...

as soon as I see her I'll get it figured out...what a weird thing:undecided

I'd be curious to hear what she says. I have been doing tealights for 6 years, always in plastic cups. I had one that caught on fire, and it was my own fault. I put a wick that was way to big in the tealight cause I had an oil that I just couldn't find the right wick for. I sell a lot of tealights so I was determined to find a wick that would burn this oil. I now have a bathroom vanity with a dark brown burn spot on it. BTW....that fire only melted 1/2 the tealight cup, didn't look like the total meltdown that you have.

I just read some posts about plastic tea lights melting....and recalls by large stores...hmmmmmmm.....I don't think that it means that ALL plastic tea lights will do that. Theses were probably an inferior product produced with cheaper plastic. All plastic is not alike. This is a big concern. I have been buying my plastic cups from Candlewic for many years and haven't had a problem. But.....I recommend that my customers use the plastic because they are cooler than metal ones and have more of a glow effect. Now I am wondering about this. My customers aren't going to get the same good quality that I have on when they purchase them from random stores..... I guess there isn't a regulation on what kind of plastic can be used in the production of the cups. I it should happen, but I doubt if it will anytime soon. Donita