What is your MUST HAVE

angel2211

I've read heaps of articles on things people use for soap making. But what are your absolute must haves when soap making. I have my scales and stick blender. Not sure what else i need eg. stainless steel bowl, spoons, etc..

So i thought i'd ask other people what are there "cannot be without items".

That way you may of all found other things that are wonderful that the average tutorial might not have had in it. :D

Thanks Kaybee23. I'm actually just going to make what i've called supermarket soap for starters, anything i can buy at the supermarket is the soap i'll make..

I probably worded it wrong, i'm actually after peoples must haves as far as their utensils and accessories go. I've heard a lot of people say they hand stir while others say they "must have" a stick blender... I'm just wondering what else i'll specifically need to make the soap, what sort of spoons people use, double boiler etc.

As for oils whatever oils i find at the supermarket that's all i'll be using till i pay my credit card and place my next order. I just ordered up big on FO's and M&P, gotta wait for more funds before i do more exotic soaps :sad2:

Thanks for your reply though i checked out that link and now have a better idea of what oils i should be going for.

Here is another one, maybe this one will be what you are looking for. :D I think this was the one I was looking for when I posted the first one.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421&highlight=stick+blender

A stick blender is a must have with homemade soap. A large bowl or 2, a whisk, big soap spoon, a couple of spatulas, scales, skewers for swirling, metal cups for measuring FO, smaller glass bowls for measuring oils. A rubbermaid pitcher for mixing lye water in. Don't forget maybe a mask for mixing the lye and goggles and gloves for mixing the lye and the soap. That is just a few things.

when making small batches (2lbs) I found that I could melt my hard oils in the microwave in the 4 cup pyrex measuring cups (glass) and used the 8 cup glass pyrex measuring cup to actually soap in (mix the lye into oils) you may already have those in your cupboards or can easily find them in wal-mart, etc

edited to add some other useful threads for ya...

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5494&highlight=tools+soap

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19716&highlight=tools+soap

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421&highlight=tools+soap

Thanks heaps Kaybee and CandleFreak, that's exactly what i've been looking for. I now have my list and i'm ready to go shopping :D . Then i'm on my way to bending everyone's ears after my first soap batch...

Thanks a bunch.

For small batches, I use the 1 or 2 gallon containers from MMS that my palm oil comes in for measuring and melting oils, and mixing. One container to clean is a good thing. I think walmart sells one gallon sized buckets in the paint section too.

My arsenal includes, a stick blender, a single silicone spatula, and a chopstick to swirl with. Some 5oz. dixie cups for FO and mica/ultramarines if I'm not using liquid colorant, and a 2 cup glass pyrex or two for mixing my swirlie colors in with the sectioned off raw soap and a couple of popsicle sticks to mix the colorant in.

I like being cheap. :D

I like being cheap. :D

Thanks Grump Girl, Nothing wrong with being cheap if it gets the job done why not.. The less money spent on accessories is more money for making...

it's a win, win situation.

Thanks for your advice.

My arsenal includes, a stick blender, a single silicone spatula, and a chopstick to swirl with. Some 5oz. dixie cups for FO and mica/ultramarines if I'm not using liquid colorant, and a 2 cup glass pyrex or two for mixing my swirlie colors in with the sectioned off raw soap and a couple of popsicle sticks to mix the colorant in.

Same as Grumpy, but i use a ladle to spoon some soap in 2 cup pyrex for swirling.

I didn't even think of a ladle, what a brilliant idea.... hhmmm thinking i'd better get new stuff for the house and then pinch the old ones for my soapmaking... Thanks for that hun, added it to my ever growing list :undecided

I actually don't have a wooden mould just yet but i do plan on getting one as soon as i can. I've got an excersice book that i'm writting tips and hints in so i've just added that one to my tip book. Thank you so much for that one...

Is it necessary to spray a plastic mould with rubbing alcohol or anything before a pour??

I spray all my new molds with pam then take a cloth and lightly wipe out the excess,, but there are some that dont, I am new to soap making too, and when I tried to just pour my CP into a new mold I had a little trouble with it releasing so I just popped it in the freezer for 15 minutes and whalaaa, out it popped.

I use a big mixing bowl with a handle and a pour spout that I got on clearance at Targte to soap in. I use the smaller pyrex cup to take some out of my batch to add color for a swirl. I use a big stainless steal spoon I had gotten at a restaurant supply store. a deep bowl to measure my lye. a big heavy duty plastic pitcher to mix my lye water in. I marked it LYE POSION DO NOT DRINK because sometimes I mix lye the day before so that it has plenty of time to cool and even though it is just me at home I leave a key out for friends and I would never risk them drinking it.

dixie cups for FO, stick blender,

I cover my scale with tin foil to protect it from drips

chopsticks to swirl with

thick rubber gloves for your hands, goggles, an apron

I will add if I think of anything else

OH boy, plenty of food for thought now, thanks heaps everyone. Is pam just like a cooking spray? I'd do a search on it but i think i'd turn up everything but what your talking about. What exactly is freezer paper. Im in australia so we've probably got it but it's probably something else. Like saran paper i'm still trying to find what our version of that is. I didn't even think of a restaurant supply store, That's a brilliant idea, we don't have any here where I live but next time i go to the City i'll be sure to head in there and check out what they've got. Good idea marking the lye water too, I'd have to mix mine and use straight away because of kids, pets and hubby. But i'm going to mark mine aswell, as a "just in case" measure. I'd hate to mix it be distracted with the baby and someone drank it so thank you for that tip. Not sure if we can get Babbassu oil but will be checking out my supplier for sure i'm hearing about it everywhere. Lots of people love this particular oil.

Thank you so much for your help.

And a wisk if you don't want to accelerate it with the stick blender. And a smaller measuring cup (2 cups?) for the colored portion of the batch (I have a stainless steel one that has a great pour spout!). First I used the ladel to take some out and put it into the cup for coloring, then I used the ladle to put my "batter" into the slab mold cause I layered it with the colored swirl portion.

LOL what's a Gizmo? That's usually what I call a thing i can't remember what it's real name is or thingamajig....

I'm going to use a stick blender but i've been reading about bringing close to trace and then mixing by hand. So a whisk would probably be very handy here... Alot of these things such as stainless steel measuring cups I can't get around here but will get what i can to start me off then i'll take my list when im in the city and get what i can.

Thanks for all the help everyone, this is exactly what i needed.

For some reason mine have come to trace really fast except my very first HP batch which took forever. The stainless steel cup I have is actually a small pitcher with a nice sharp spout that I can pour my colored prdouct from with some precision - a little better than my pyrex liquid measuring cup which has a goofy spout if you ask me.

Thanks hun, I can get a jug like the one below from my supplier. Would this one be any good. Here is their description of it:

600ml Jug

This medium sized jug is wonderful for making candles or soaps using a double boiler arrangement. The free handle is ideal for placing outside saucepans used for double boiler situations, to make for cooler handling when the time comes to pour.

I realise 600ml probably wouldn't be any good for the whole double boiler idea that they had but would it be ok for everything else? They also have a 300ml jug.

post-4041-139458404684_thumb.jpg

Yes PAM is the cooking spray and I cannot do with it for my tarts.Only made a few batches of soap but will be doing more this craft season.So more PAM to buy.Just a little will work great.

LynnS