Can we talk bubbles

Scented

Getting big, fluffy, fat bubbles isn't just dependent on what you put INTO the soap for bubbles. It's also dependent on what you put into the soap that's a bubble killer, KWIM? The oils work together.

I make one soap with a 25 on soap calc in both fluffy lather and creamy lather, and that pup will have you DROWNING in lather (at least in my water). Does need a decent cure time, though. Don't judge your soap before a good 6-week cure. I've had soap that doesn't lather worth a ding dang at 4 weeks, but at 6 weeks (or more), you'll choke on the stuff. :D Even my soaps with relatively low lather nos. on soapcalc have considerably amped up bubbles after several months of curing.

Coconut -- don't be afraid of this stuff. I'd bump it up to 25%. :D

AJ, but would you put coconut at 25% and still use castor oil and pko and babassu?

I just tried my first batch with a little RBO and olive in it and some sodium lactate. I can definitely say, this is probably among the harder bars I've cut. I think I'll wait a good while to soap with it again lol! My hands hurt, but it was only like 12 hours old. However, I saw bubbledom.

I'm wondering...In order to get the big honkin bubbles, should you sacrifice the numbers in the creamy lather? Would a low number in creamy lather and a high number in the bubbly lather give you a better bubble?

I must say though Scented, I thought your soap (especially the white/pink one) had really nice bubbles. I understand though, trying to find "the" perfect recipe to get 'em cussin in the shower from being bubbled out of their freakin minds.

YEah that was another person's recipe and I got ahead of myself and wanted to make up my own lol.

I will say that it seems if your bubbly lather is a point or two higher than the creamy lather that the bubbles come out to play. Now I can't say that I'll say the same thing after the soap has sat around for awhile lol. I'm just talking about the batch I made at 1 a.m. I cut it after about 12 hours, tried a little (sucker felt really drying) but tried it again at about 6 p.m. or sooner and it felt much better. Almost like I had powdered my hands. BUT we'll see what happens on down the road. I did like the bubbling I got off of both washes.

Julia, I don't know what I'll do when I run outta the palm I have, but I plan to not continue using it. (Ohhh more recipe playing that I'm starting to hate lol)

Scented, I don't generally use both coconut AND pko in the same bar. One or the other. I happen to like a small % of castor in nearly every batch, but that's just me. Some say they don't notice a difference when they take it out.

Babassu? Outta my price range. LOL ;)

Julie

OK, I tried out 2 of the bars again this morning (the grapefruit is long gone :rolleyes2 ) The blue/green one had nice creamy "dense" bubbles, meaning they weren't big bubbles (there were a couple). The other one (I forget the scent but it was lightly purple swirled) had a few more bigger bubbles and a lot of dense bubbles.

Yeah I need to send you the newer ones Julia. Those are the first two soaps I made. On those, I'd love a bubble boost, but I'm finding some bars to send to you. I think the bubbles ended up staying the same in the following batches though.

Ok, now gettin serious. I'd have never of believed it, as it's not supposed to be for bubbles, but grapeseed at 8% in my soap has done wonders for it. It seems to help the bubbles "let loose" fast and with huge bubbles! Give it a shot girl!

Bunny, do you add the grapeseed at trace or to your other oils?

Just one other thing that you probably already know about but in the off chance that a newbie like me might know something you don't I figure I'd throw it out there. I have hard water not that bad but with no water softener in this house it's a bubble buster. I recently made a batch of soap with Tetrasodium EDTA, (good God please tell me I'm at lease close enough in the spelling that you know what I'm talking about) just that tiny amount made a big difference in the bubbles & feel of the lather in my soap.

I also have to agree with the person that said wait at least 6 weeks cure time. I don't really get nice bars until they've had a chance to sit that long.

Soap is like women & fine wine * **we only get better with age.*** :D:wink2:

Karen B

Grapeseed might help with the bubbles cuz it's got lots of linoleic acid - it's the short chain fatty acids that bubble a lot.

I mix PKO and coconut in my bars - that way I can bump up the % and still keep the coconut low enough to not feel drying. We've got really hard water. So now I've got a big bubble bar (here at least), but not as much creamy lather as I'd like. Though I do notice it's creamier when I go down to Moms, who has really soft water.

And anything that kind of "breaks" the surface tension, and gives some texture for the bubble to form against, helps. Silk, clay, powders....

So Robin you're saying some silk and clay could help with bubbles?

Now I see you mentioned powders and I have a couple of kinds ... I believe a silk powder and a goatsmilk powder. How are these ummm used lol. Actually, do you dissolve them in water before adding lye or try dissolving in the oils instead? Or just tell me to get on a different boat lol.

I find they help a lot. Even the powders. I've used rice bran flour and gotten a bit more bubbles. Usually just a tablespoon ppo at the highest. I just dump it into the oils before the lye and SB the heck out of it so I can get rid of the clumps. Probably better to mix it a bit more ahead of time.