Joy Wax

There was an FO I had to get from NG and I just couldn't just order that :)

Since I never tried Joy wax and they made it sound so great, I bought a slab. In searching for posts about it for the last 6 months or so there wasn't much listed. Going back a bit further it seems most people really liked it but it was too far away for shipping for some. One thing from the NG site itself and posts is that zinc wicks are the preferred wick.

If anyone who uses this regularly or has tried it recently can post any thoughts or hints on it I'd really appreciate it.

TIA

PS. Talk about packaging - this company's website, and inserts, and the free gifts I got with my first order were all coordinated. Even got a free mousepad. Everything was packaged really nice too. Even the wax slab was in some sort of non-stick bag - wish I could buy these for my self for storage. (Yes, I'm impressed easily I guess). :)

Thats the truth. Seems like they run their business really well (got great service). I like the GL 70/30 - but NG is so much closer to me. I order from many places though anyway (said that like I'm rich or something).

Some of the soap molds are so nice (I know someone who would LOVE that celestial dragonfly) that I want to start doing M&P now too.

:rolleyes2

I have tested Joy Wax in the past, and really liked it, but it's not the wax I currently use. You can get some really good colors, no frosting, and it sets up very smooth (why aren't I using this wax, you ask? Good question!! :D ) I got a lot of sooting with LX and RRD wicks, and I have never had good luck with zincs. I tested it with ECO, HTP, and CD and had good luck with all of them. You can wick down at least 1 size in comparison to 100% soy, at least that was my experience with it. I have emailed NG in the past to find out how much paraffin was in it, and I think the response I got back was that they didn't know, but it was a primarily soy wax. Whatever that means. If anyone knows what all is in Joy Wax, I'd love to know. This is all just my opinion....I've only been doing candles for about a year, so take it for what it's worth - not a whole heck of a lot! Happy testing!!

I used Joy Wax for years, and am currently testing GL 70/30 to try and save on shipping. Very comparable so far.

I used zinc wicks in my Joy, and had problems with soot in a few candles, and had to change up a few fo's, but I had that problem with most of the waxes I tried. Seems like nothing will work in everything..

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, sometimes the LX can go a bit crazy because of the flame size and I know for sure you need to wick down on the blends. I'm glad the MP on this wax is low. I'm wondering if the folks that had soot though stuck to the 6% FO limit NG recommends? Do you guys remember what you did? I'm willing to try the zincs and thanks for letting me know about the ECO, CDs, and HTPs. The only ones I don't have are the HTPs - I always just figured CDs and HTPs were pretty much the same thing.

I used Joywax with HTP wicks and had very good results. I'm not using it now but I love NG. I also asked them about the % of soy and paraffin and they wouldn't budge. Just told me the same thing as what's on the website. Honestly, I think that's one of the reason's I switched. I didn't like not knowing exactly what I was working with. But it's good.

Oh, I did use 6% FO also. Never had a problem with that. HTH

Definately will. They mention zincs first - and also cd, htp, and performas.

For the new 3" containers I have I was thinking trying a CD8 or CD10 and maybe either a 44-32-18 or 51-32-18 Zinc. What do you pros think?

Its terrible to try a new wax, new diameter, and new wicks all at the same time!

I tried Joywax, when I first started making candles. It's funny that you posted this because I was going to try it again.

I didn't get any frosting, always got smooth tops, cold and hot throw was good, and I always got better colors (deep colors).

The only reason I changed waxes is because, 100% soy was cheaper and it was in flakes.

Good Luck,

Mindy :)

Definately will. They mention zincs first - and also cd, htp, and performas.

For the new 3" containers I have I was thinking trying a CD8 or CD10 and maybe either a 44-32-18 or 51-32-18 Zinc. What do you pros think?

Its terrible to try a new wax, new diameter, and new wicks all at the same time!

Hi Henry,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the updated info I referred to:

http://tinyurl.com/ezxoh

Note: We personally test each batch of joy wax that is manufactured for us to ensure quality. We test each batch using 100% joy wax, color, fragrance oil, and CD wicking. We do not recommend adding any additives or any other type of wax to joy wax; our joy wax performs exceptionally without any additives.

Directions for use: Melt joy wax (using a double-boiler method) to 200F. Add coloring to your specifications. Drop the temperature to 175-170F. Add 1 ounce of fragrance oil per pound of joy wax. Pour into containers at 165-160F. Wick your containers, and allow to cool at room temperature. We have found that CD wicks work the best in this wax, however, HTP, Zinc, Hemp and Performa wicks may also be used with great success. As with any wax, trim your wicks before lighting candles. We invite you to try our Joy Wax, put it to the test against your regular wax, and SMELL and SELL the difference! You too will want to do a JOY DANCE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks again for the replies.

I forgot about that search "as phrase" option and pulled up some more threads I've been going over - including one of my own from last year with some good replies (obviously I got side tracked) :)

I got a couple poured with a CD and a Zinc (just a guess on the sizes) so we'll see how it goes. I didn't secure them so if the size is completely wrong I'll be able to replace them.

Also have the hemp and performas on order so eventually I'll see how those work also.