First Candles - need some help - pics inside

Well we made the blueberry last night - using eco 10's (just to have another shot at making a good candle, and its fun). Anyway we heated to 190 then poured at 175. We preheated the jars and then covered them after pouring. We checked them out this morning and they were perfect, no wet spots and no frosting!! smile.gif

So we will test burn this tonight and I will post some pictures.

Thanks again

Are these still the Eco 8's? I can't really tell from the picture, but is the deeper side at least 1/4" deep? How is the throw? If at least 1/4" deep I would stick with this wick and burn all the way down.

BTW, I have the same Mikasa plates. :D

Are these still the Eco 8's? I can't really tell from the picture, but is the deeper side at least 1/4" deep? How is the throw? If at least 1/4" deep I would stick with this wick and burn all the way down.

BTW, I have the same Mikasa plates. :D

I put in the eco 10's for that one. I measured the depth by putting a butter knife in the middle and it was about an inch. The sides were just a little less. I don't know if this is the proper way of measuring. I will burn this one all the way to see what happens. The throw was great on this one.

Got those plates for our engagment about 9 years ago.

I put in the eco 10's for that one. I measured the depth by putting a butter knife in the middle and it was about an inch. The sides were just a little less. I don't know if this is the proper way of measuring. I will burn this one all the way to see what happens. The throw was great on this one.

Got those plates for our engagment about 9 years ago.

Yes, best to burn it all the way down. Keep us posted.

The plates were a wedding present 12 years ago. :D

Ok here are my pictures after 4 hours of burn time. I have a top view, and a view of each side. the melt pool went all the way across. The wick was bending towards the side that looks deeper.
Looks very promising. Thanks for sharing your first efforts -- it's fun to watch your progress. Glad you folks are having fun and I'd say you're off to a good start.

Looks very promising. Thanks for sharing your first efforts -- it's fun to watch your progress. Glad you folks are having fun and I'd say you're off to a good start.

Thanks - I am having fun sharing this with everyone. Everyone here is so helpful:D . I will post new pictures after I burn a couple of more times.

Here are more pictures after about 14 hours of burn time. The top of the jar seems to get pretty hot. I have read it should only be 175 degrees but how can you measure that. There seems to still be some wax left on the sides but it is getting a full melt pool. Do you think I might have to go one more wick size up to an eco 12? I found someone else who is using this jar and they use a HTP104 wick - how is that wick compared to the eco 10 or 12?

Anyway let me know what you think

DSC01495.jpg

DSC01496.jpg

Looks good to me so far. In my testing, the HTP 104 burns the same or a bit hotter than an Eco 8, depending on the FO (in soy wax). I think an Eco 12 would be a torch in this jar. It looks like the wax you have leftover on the sides will melt down with subsequent burns.

Would you happen to have HTP wicks on hand?

When you get towards the bottom of the jar, the hangup will likely melt off since the jar will be hot. Unless the candle is tunneling badly, don't change the wick in the middle of a candle. Wait and see what happens at the very end of the burn :)

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like a pretty big mushroom on the Eco 10. Is there anything that wouldn't mushroom in this jar using 70/30?

How's your testing going? No pictures posted for almost a month. Your pics were great - sharp & sized right for easily seen details. A picture really is worth a thousand words.

Since I am a beginner it seemed like that jar was a little to "advanced" for me. I switched over to jelly jars and have been testing those like crazy. I have been posting in the greenleaf board and some other messages here. I am having trouble with slight hangup on the 8 oz jj. Thanks for you compliments on the pictures.

Any way here are some links to the other messages that I have posted, that have some more pictures and my results so far.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28381

http://www.greenleafcandlesupply.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=1205

I switched over to jelly jars and have been testing those like crazy. I have been posting in the greenleaf board and some other messages here. I am having trouble with slight hangup on the 8 oz jj.

I also test with 8 oz jj. I figured why use a big jar, 16 oz wax if it doesn't come out very good. I also have that hangup on mine. But I've always washed mine in a sink of hot soapy water. Now I've gotten lazy and all I do is wipe them out. I've seen it hanging up on the side with or without cleaning them first.