another cp vs hp guestion

dixiegal

I was thinking of trying hp for my first batch of soap. Then I read on another board that you HAD to be able to do cp before you did hp? I dont really understand why. I did some searches on this board to see if anything was posted about this and couldnt find anything. Is this true? ad if it is can anyone tell me why?

TIA

HP was my first attempt at making soap. To me it was easier and less confusing. I still think it's easier although I prefer cp because of the way my finished bars look. Read the tutorials on both and see which one looks like the one you want to tackle first. To me, the most important thing is lye safety. ( the stuff scares me so I'm very careful with it) I don't understand why anyone would think that you needed to know how to do cp first.

Naw, you don't HAVE to do CP before HP. My very first batch was CP, then I proceeded right on to an HP batch. I didn't die. LOL

Some recommend doing CP first so you can get the hang of bringing a batch to trace. There are just more steps and more stages to identify in HP. If you've done your homework, don't see why you couldn't dive right into HP. But CP is good practice to start with too. :)

I personally think HP is a good way to start. Through the cook process you become familiar with all the stages of soaping. As a plus, when you do CP and your batch siezes, separates, etc, you don't panic and try to slam it into a mold. You whip out the crock pot and calmly continue on your merry way, knowing all will be well.

thanks everyone, Im going to give hp a try this week,( if I can get past my fear of working with lye,lol )as Im still waiting for my brother to make my wood soap molds for cp, Now I just have to see if our sorry super walmart has the mini loaf pans to use as molds for the hp:rolleyes2

I've done a whole 7 batches of cp and today I am going to do cphp. Does cphp really look that messy? after working with the smooth texture of cp I can't help but wonder just how gunky it really is..I will certainly find out today..:cool2:

thanks everyone, Im going to give hp a try this week,( if I can get past my fear of working with lye,lol )as Im still waiting for my brother to make my wood soap molds for cp, Now I just have to see if our sorry super walmart has the mini loaf pans to use as molds for the hp:rolleyes2

Cool, another virgin like me! I hope everything goes well with your first attempt. The lye was a bit intimidating at first but I suspect your determination will win out. I mixed my lye outside in a pitcher that I was sure to cover when it was done. I was terified of stumbling on the way back in. So far I've been very fortunate and haven't expereinced anything more than an accelorated trace after I used a couple of eo's.

Ok, let's do this!..:highfive: