menthol crystals

shutterbugg

I tried a recipe for foaming foot soak (Shannon's???) listed here somewhere that I made up using menthol crystals and it's wonderful.

Wildangel...do you have the recipe available?...I have some leftover of menthol crystal from my DD last cold and may be a good way to use it!!!

I think my Mom and DD are addicted to this stuff;) .

Foaming Foot Soak

25% Epson Salt

25% Dead Sea Salt

20% Baking Soda

15% SLSA

10% Citric acid

3% Menthol Crystals

1% Spearmint or Peppermint EO

1% Tea Tree EO

Mix everything except the citric, melt the menthol crystals and mix with EOs, then blend with dry ingredients, add citric last.

I think my Mom and DD are addicted to this stuff;) .

Foaming Foot Soak

25% Epson Salt

25% Dead Sea Salt

20% Baking Soda

15% SLSA

10% Citric acid

3% Menthol Crystals

1% Spearmint or Peppermint EO

1% Tea Tree EO

Mix everything except the citric, melt the menthol crystals and mix with EOs, then blend with dry ingredients, add citric last.

Thank you very much!!!!

• 4 months later...

Right now, I'm just making it up for family/friends so I'm packaging it in some cute little jars I found along with a small scoop. It's getting such rave reviews, I am thinking of adding it to my line, but not sure how I'll be packaging it yet. Will post pics if I come up with any ideas :) .

As for adding the liquids, I premeasure all my ingredients before I start making up my batches. The liquids go into small glass beakers DH brought me. I pour them from there. HTH & good luck!!!

I've melted it down with oils and added it to my foot butter. So far, I am still in the experimental stages with it. I like it but find it to be kind of pricey - the only place I have seen it has been WSP but I do admit, I haven't really looked for it anyplace. I just saw it at WSP and ordered it so that I could play.

I was shopping here tonight and saw they had them http://www.thesage.com/catalog/Additives.html?mmsID=64ea5fb556fa35df4c802cb1fe6375cc (scroll 1/2 way down the page). BUT check the price as I found some of their products to be higher priced than WSP!! (the shipping would probably balance out the difference). I purchased mine from WSP, and their strong you don't need much but it is expensive- a great additive though!! I used it in each of my foot products I had pictured in the gallery last week.

I had asked about menthol crystals here a while back. I wanted to make a lotion bar type thing for achy muscles. Anyway, if I remember correctly I was told that after a certain % on menthol in something it is considered to be "medical" and is governed by the FDA. So I decided to scrap the idea since it wouldn't be something I could make to sell. Of course, this might not be the case with what you are making.

I had asked about menthol crystals here a while back. I wanted to make a lotion bar type thing for achy muscles. Anyway, if I remember correctly I was told that after a certain % on menthol in something it is considered to be "medical" and is governed by the FDA. So I decided to scrap the idea since it wouldn't be something I could make to sell. Of course, this might not be the case with what you are making.

That's it! I remember that being discussed as well. On another board(maybe?)it was also discussed that using the menthol with the peppermint might be too much for those with nerological disorders or circulation problems. I didn't look into it further so maybe there is a way to confirn it some place. I just decided that I would leave out the menthol or use it without the peppermint whenever I get around to experimenting with it. It does sound like a fun recipe!

• 5 months later...
Has anyone worked with these? What exactly do you do with them, besides sit around and sniff,, or is that just me LOL

Shutter did you ever find a use for these?

BTW - I about spit my drink out when I read this. OMG how funny. Why? Because I do that!! I do use mine too (in bath teas and foot butter) but stuff is funny when you relate. For some reason it just cracked me up. I didn't realize this was an old thread. Apparently I've been sniffing too many menthol crystals.

Shutter did you ever find a use for these?

BTW - I about spit my drink out when I read this. OMG how funny. Why? Because I do that!! I do use mine too (in bath teas and foot butter) but stuff is funny when you relate. For some reason it just cracked me up. I didn't realize this was an old thread. Apparently I've been sniffing too many menthol crystals.

Anyone want to come over and look through my shelves and tell me why I bought 1/2 the stuff I did?? I can so relate too. ( I should list in the classy's as bought for unknown reason )