Stong scents=vendors hating me

Made by me

Has anyone ever had any trouble with their candles smelling TOO strong?

I've signed up to sell candles at a local county fair. I was there last year but had my own stall (yes, an old horse stall!). This year I'm in the big barn and it gets really hot and stuffy in there. I'm afraid that after 4 days of strong candles scents, everyone will hate me! :undecided

If you located anywhere close to the cattle that may be a good thing!

LMAO!!!

I wouldn't worry about it. The smell tends to attract people, but what you might worry about is someone wanting a candle of the smell coming from your booth (meaning all the scents mixed together ;) ) I can never smell our booth, but Rockin' assures me it's there. We only had one person walk by and wave her hand across her nose. I initially thought someone in front her passed gas by the expression ;)

Whoa! This barn is full of arts and crafts only! There's no way I'd set up beside animals all day long! What I'm worried about is with all of us crafters shoved in there with hot temperatures, a tin roof and no windows, that my candles might smell really strong.

Just prepare yourself....you will make the whole place smell and most people will "sniff" you out :) I was once in a very large hall and had people searching all over for the wonderful smell....however, you WILL have some complainers and they are usually the most vocal.

I once was set up next to a gal who complained because she was "allergic"...I told her I was VERY sorry but there was just nothing I could do and that maybe next time she should tell the promoters that she needed to be far away from anything scented...:cool2:

Since there really isn't anything you can do, just be prepared with some answers to the complainers and have fun and sell out !

Oh thats a good thing girlie!! I literally have people sniff me out from the entrance of my shows. (Did I mention these are outdoor at that lol) I obviously have strong scents, and a strong customer base :shocked2: So smell it up girlie!!

The people who complain are generally other candle maker who do NOT open their lids. And I was at a show where they put in a tiny classroom whith very old ladies who complained. They moved, I didn't. Their displays were much smaller and I had 450 candles. The next year they put me by the front door and nobody was upset. That's now my normal spot at this show every holiday season.:)

I've only had problems with old ladies complaining about candles being too strong. I actually had a woman pretending to gag from the smell of one tealight burning in a 50x125 foot area. The scent of your candles is what sells them so if people don't like it, they can move!! :wink2:

Trae

twoscentsworth,

I had the same problem.With me sitting there I did not really smell my candles and air fresheners. It was a huge 2 day event and most were not busy but it was average for me being my first time there.The lady behind me said she was going to have to talk to organizers because she didn't know if she would be back next year.She was near the door and it was very windy and dust was coming in big time.And then she said to me"No offense but I have allergies and that is also why I want another section.I had no idea.I was sorry because at time smells bother me.I just can't be near anyone with a pipe.I get so nauseas. So I guess my candles etc were overpowering.

I know Lynn...I feel sorry for them too but hello ! It's a craft show, people sell stuff that smells :cheesy2: that's just how it is. I am allergic to cigarette smoke and do my best to stay away from it.....but there isn't much you can do when people are in places where smoking is allowed and I am too . So while I really do sympathize, there isn't anything we can do. Besides, I am so busy selling I think some people are really complaining about that :cheesy2: