Is my heat gun a fire hazard now?

Last night when i was cleaning my molds and stuff, after I was done using my heat gun, I sat it upright on the counter. Apparently it was touching the cord and I didnt realize it. It melted the rubber on the cord and now I have wires exposed. Can I just wrap that spot with electrical tape or do I need to just buy a new heat gun? Please help :(

Thanks!

If it were me.....

If the wires you are seeing are coated, meaning you melted through the black rubber sheath on the outside but are maybe seeing a colored plastic coating on the inside, I would go ahead and wrap it well with electrical tape and just be sure to unplug when you're done with it.

If you are seeing actual copper or aluminum wiring, then I would probably just get a new one to be safe. You could still wrap it well and keep it on hand for immediate use till you get a new one, and for emergencies (like if the new one ever dies). JMO.

I wish I had melted something else that maybe wasnt so important, lol. Just not MY HEAT GUN! I cant really spend the 25.00 right now for a new one. I've maxed myself out buying candle supplies since I got my DBA and am trying to get myself ready to start selling.

I dont see any copper or anything, its white underneath so I assume that the wires are still coated??

Sounds like they are coated, which is good. Just wrap with some elec. tape, and unplug after each use, you should be fine until you are in better shape to get a new one.

Okay Judy, what is that thing? Something for a bathroom? Here I thought I was cool cause I had a big hook to hang mine on. I want one like yours!!!

And yeah I can see myself leaning over the counter to get something and wham or leaning back and wham so I would still have to put it up high but I really do like the concept of the holster.

Okay Judy, what is that thing? Something for a bathroom? Here I thought I was cool cause I had a big hook to hang mine on. I want one like yours!!!

And yeah I can see myself leaning over the counter to get something and wham or leaning back and wham so I would still have to put it up high but I really do like the concept of the holster.

I got it at walmart in the kitchen gadget isle - it's called a tool caddy - it was only a few dollars, if I remember right - it's just the right size! :yay:

Another option would be to take the heat gun apart and replace the entire cord. New cords don't cost much, and you wouldn't have any concern about any repair of the old wire. That is what I would do for a repair.

JMO, Elapid----<