some of my wax callas

beauloser

I love your flowers. Guessing you tied a wick to the end of a small dowel / reed and dipped for you hand dipped taper. Understand that you cut tear drop shapes out of wax to form the petal and wrap it around the taper. But what in the world did you use the straightened paper clip for? Looks very time consuming but worth the effort. Are the petals scented? Think I would cry if anyone burned one of your creations.

Thanks all for the comments...the straightened paperclips are actually the "wicks"....about a year ago, I got into making these and went thru test burning and such...a real taper(for the life size flower I wanted to make) had a top burn time of about 30 min. and caused a small hole in the back of the color part of the flower...the taper could be replaced, but it still left the hole, which just ruined my perfect, almost real, little flower. So I came up with the paperclip idea and labeled them as "wax creations" instead of candles...the tag clearly states "FOR DECORATIVE PURPOSES ONLY"

They are a PITA b/c I hand dip each paperclip individually using tweezers...when the taper is about half the diameter I want, I attach the taper to a dowel, then finish the dipping.

These are scented mixed floral fragrances...the tapers are with taper wax and the wax flower shell is cut and carve(maybe 6051, but don't quote me) from failed cut&carve experiements. I pour a bit of the melted wax into a glass baking dish and let it cool until it is pliable enough to handle without destroying then cut out the teardrop shape and wrap it around the taper on the dowel(upside down) then stand in front of the air conditioner with it still upside down until it cools enough to hold its shape!

Hope that answers most of the questions and thanks for looking.

If they aren't to burn, what is the point of the paper clip...I feel dumb but I don't get the point of the paper clips....can't you make them with just wax and no wick or paper clip :confused:
The center is made just like a taper candle. Normally you dip a wick over and over until you've built up the wax for the candle. In this case the paperclip substitutes for the wick for dipping purposes.