I Need A New Container For Measuring Lye

SueH

I've been using an old Rubbermaid container to measure lye and don't really like it and have been searching for something else. Today I saw my brother's big ol plastic drink container from Burger King and it looks perfect. It should be okay to use since it's plastic?

the only thing I'd be concerned about is static cling, which lye is very prone to. I don't know where you live, but when it's the season for this, take a dryer sheet and wipe the inside of the container before pouring the lye and it will all then come out on it's own. Wouldn't hurt to wipe the outside of the container that holds the lye too so the lye pieces won't get stuck there (if it's plastic).

As long as you aren't mixing the lye (just measuring) in this container, anything but aluminum is fine.

I just use disposable plastic cups. When I do the lye thing here's what I do (in my garage)

Cover the workbench with newspapers

Have paper towels and plastic garbage bag handy

Use a new dryer sheet and rub all over the plastic cup, inside and out

Sit that on my scale

Pour it into my water

Put the newspaper and cup into the garbage bag and tie it all up and in the trash it goes

For measuring I use plastic glasses from Sam's Club and discard after using.

For mixing the lye I use a deep rubbermaid pitcher which prevents splashing when I stir. I have a poison decal on the side of it and everyone knows to stay clear when they see the sign.

I read about someone that would measure the water into a container then zero out the scale and then add the lye to the water. Add lye until the scale is at the correct weight for the lye then mix.

I've done this several times now. I don't have to worry about static I just have to be very careful to add the lye very slowly when it gets close to the correct weight. I don't want to go over.

For measuring I use plastic glasses from Sam's Club and discard after using.

For mixing the lye I use a deep rubbermaid pitcher which prevents splashing when I stir. I have a poison decal on the side of it and everyone knows to stay clear when they see the sign.

Same here, the entire picture is covered in them and it's put way back out of the way so someone would have to have long reach to get to it and it's up out of reach also. Even though I only soap when I'm alone. I'm still paranoid about kids and pets.