Tried New Wax....Did I do something wrong?

I tried the Just Scent 50/50 pillar votive blend last night. I made some tarts with the Just Scent Orange Chiffon, Almond Marzipan and Lemon Sugar scents. The tops of the tarts came out all ripply, not smooth like my other wax (which was paraffin with 1tsp vybar per pound). Did I do something wrong?

way, way too much vybar. Too much vybar makes wax wrinkle on top, somtimes referred to as shark skin. 1-2% is usually more than enough..if not, add micro wax instead of additional vybar...not as $$$, accomplishes the same thing, and won't ripple.

brad

Heartfulloftarts: I use OK6228 (preblended pillar wax) and J223 or J50 (container wax) to make my tarts. Straight OK6228 will ripple like crazy and sink like a beotch when used all by itself to make tarts. When I combine the two, I get a nice smooth tart (still have to pour around 150 degrees though) and awesome scent throw using 1 to 1.5 oz of fo per lb of wax. I use a 50/50 mix of the two and it works very well for me.

I would try pouring a bit cooler and see if that fixes it. If not, call Becky and tell her what's going on. She is really helpful. I don't use that wax, but will be testing it later this summer. I do use her other container wax and she always is helpful when I have issues.

way, way too much vybar. Too much vybar makes wax wrinkle on top, somtimes referred to as shark skin. 1-2% is usually more than enough..if not, add micro wax instead of additional vybar...not as $$$, accomplishes the same thing, and won't ripple.

brad

Hey Brad,:wave:

Where can we purchase the Micro. Wax inplace of using vybar?

Another silly reason...but when I have my molds cooling on the counter if I walk too hard, or my kids come tearing through the room, it jostles them and they end up rippling...if I tip-toe around and keep the kids out of that room then they don't ripple. Like I said it's a silly reason but that's what my issue was! LOL

Brooke,

I would guess that most candle supply companies will have at least one to choose from. Your best bet is a micro wax with a melt in the 165-185F range that is not super hard. Typical usage is between 2-5%. It will give the wax a more creamy look, raise the melt point, harden a soft wax, and aid in oil retention. Pillar and votive blends may contain up to 10%. As a general rule, double the percentage of vybar use for micro wax for similar results. Please contact me here (bford@clarussp.com), if you would like a small sample to exp. with.

Brad