Latest Candles & Supplies headache

Well I returned the melters to them. They confirmed the melters are in original condition and are issuing a refund. I've been prepared to eat the shipping costs in order to avoid a hassle and be done with the whole thing, but they've managed to come up with a new twist...

I'm being charged a 15% fee ($75) because they can't re-use the shipping cartons.

I don't really understand how an ordinary shipping carton is part of the product. They claim the boxes cost $15 each (note that's less than half what I'm being charged). I pointed out "275 lb test" boxes of that size cost $2.00 from Uline. Their final word on the matter:

Well beings we do not purchase our boxes from them I guess now that you have informed me they are cheaper we will look into this.

The packaging has always been part of the shipping of the products we send out.

The credit has been posted to your account so the matter is complete on my end.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, beings I did not see your original post, I must ask a Q. Why did you return the melters? Not what you wanted? 15% restocking free is not uncommon nor unfair if that was the case. If they were defective or misrepresented, that is a different matter.

Top, you and I don't always get along but, as far as advice goes, I would consider charging them back. By Visa/MC rules for merchants, if that information is not clearly posted on their website, they can't charge you the restocking fee, especially after everything they have already put you through.

Call your credit card, and indicate this to them, and, I assure you that you will be credited your entire amount.

Well, beings I did not see your original post, I must ask a Q. Why did you return the melters? Not what you wanted? 15% restocking free is not uncommon nor unfair if that was the case. If they were defective or misrepresented, that is a different matter.
Hi Eugenia. A handful of things culminated in my returning the melters, but I don't think it's relevant here. Their policy is not to charge a restocking fee if items are returned in orginal condition within 30 days. They confirmed the condition of the melters and didn't charge me a restocking fee. They came up with a repacking fee based solely on the condition of the shipping cartons after the round trip.

When I received the boxes they were braced with miles of shipping tape and didn't look as though they were new when they left C&S. I substituted my own for one of the melters when shipping them back. Regardless, they seem to be counting shipping supplies as part of the product and charging me many times what a box costs. I can't find anything in their posted policies that would lead me to expect this.

Hi Eugenia. A handful of things culminated in my returning the melters, but I don't think it's relevant here. Their policy is not to charge a restocking fee if items are returned in orginal condition within 30 days. They confirmed the condition of the melters and didn't charge me a restocking fee. They came up with a repacking fee based solely on the condition of the shipping cartons after the round trip.

When I received the boxes they were braced with miles of shipping tape and didn't look as though they were new when they left C&S. I substituted my own for one of the melters when shipping them back. Regardless, they seem to be counting shipping supplies as part of the product and charging me many times what a box costs. I can't find anything in their posted policies that would lead me to expect this.

I would definitely do a chargeback. I can't believe this type of service. unbelievable. :angry2:

Top, that is simply ridiculous. If there is no such charge listed, do NOT pay.
Check this out:

There was a 15% repacking fee applied to the return as the melters were in good condition but the boxes themselves could not be salvaged as they had holes in them and the seam on the one box was broken out.

I would suggest you contact UPS regarding the damage to the shipment to us and see if they will refund you any money on this as it was damaged in transit by them.

Can you imagine approaching UPS to make a claim for damage to packing materials? I can't fathom their confusion between the product and the box. It wasn't special manufacturer packaging. It wasn't inside another box. It was the regular outer shipping cartons they sent the melters in, stuffed with big wads of brown paper.

Simply ridiculous. I order bits and pieces from them, but from this BS they'll get no business from my end. There are certainly better companies to deal with than them. I can't get over how they send the wrong product, a mediocre one at that, and in crappy boxes and now are charging you for that. My God it's so ridiculous it's hilarious in a highly sarcastic way.

IMO.....and since I have had retail stores, I have always been under the impression that "the customer is always right"....that is what gets a company repeat business. I guess they have made enough money this year. People reading this thread will cost them much more that what they charged you. They owe you a charge back. Donita

OMG it's a freakin Box! wow!

I normally buy certain items from them, but since seeing their horrendous service to others I definitely will not be using them anymore...I never did like the fact they never quoted their shipping cost, I always had to figure that out for myself, but really...

I'm a small time person and rarely place really large orders for anything...so I guess i'll be searching for other places to purchase my favorite items....What a bummer...

It just sucks how the little guy gets treated these days...Like that commercial on tv for a bank loan and the guy asking for the loan was 2 inches tall and the bank guys were really big...Now how are we supposed to feel about that?

ok sorry, off the soapbox now...

My God it's so ridiculous it's hilarious in a highly sarcastic way.

Yup.

I am seriously sitting here shaking my head at the preposterousness of the whole thing! You know, this, in addition to other things I have heard about them (sneaky handling charges) has me totally scrapping them off of my supplier list. I have only bought a few things from them, but there are just too many other great suppliers out there who are fair to their customers.

What a bunch of bull! I can't believe they want $75 claiming they can't

re-use the cartons. (???) The last shipment I got from them - the box was stamped on the side "Live Plants - This side up". It for sure made me take a second look.

- obviously they recycle but it is completely wrong to try to charge you above and beyond top dollar for something they most likely got second hand to begin with. I won't be ordering from them anymore either. I hope they resolve this for you quickly - what a pain!

The box charges are the icing on the cake for me!!!

God only knows what they will bill you for next!!:waiting:

Hey, don't forget they charge a $10.00 MINIMUM SHIPPING FEE

They just added this fee to their site last month..

(Which they only tell you after you are ready to check out!!):mad:

What a bunch of bull! I can't believe they want $75 claiming they can't

re-use the cartons. (???) The last shipment I got from them - the box was stamped on the side "Live Plants - This side up". It for sure made me take a second look.

- obviously they recycle but it is completely wrong to try to charge you above and beyond top dollar for something they most likely got second hand to begin with. I won't be ordering from them anymore either. I hope they resolve this for you quickly - what a pain!

Same thing for me. I ordered some stuff from them and got my stuff in an office supplies box?!?!?!? I definitely won't use them again........

Word of mouth is powerful advertising. It can make or break a business. I suggest we, who have ordered from them, email them and tell them how we think about their customer service. That would actually do them a favor. If no one offers them feedback on their service, but simply stops doing business with them and tells others to do likewise, that is the worst thing to happen to a business. Then they don't know why their business is failing.

geek

God only knows what they will bill you for next!!

I'm gonna guess ... $45 for a stamp to mail you anything or to send you one more email!! They must think you're government Top.

Hell I'm still trying to find where I can buy a freaking $15 box. Now that one still has me rolling!

Hey Geek if they want a clue about why their business is failing, send them a link to chat boards. I would have to charge them $75 to send them an email.

Hell I'm still trying to find where I can buy a freaking $15 box. Now that one still has me rolling!
Yeah, I get this surreal feeling with them like I'm communicating with another dimension. Kinda like buying candle supplies from Steven Wright. I haven't been able to find any heavy duty or double walled shipping carton in that size for more than a few bucks. Not that the boxes seemed like anything special. Quoting again:

C&S: As far as the repacking fee that is because it was not returned to us in original condition that it left our facility. The reason for the 15% fee that is charged to “move the melters and the paper wads” into fresh boxes is because we have to pay for the boxes that they are going to be shipped out in to other customers.

ME: How much do new boxes cost?

C&S: The size and thickness for the melters are $15.00 each. That is why we use them sparingly.

I find this to be ridiculous....no where on their site does it state that there is a repackaging fee. It just states that the items must be in orginal condition...nothing there that states you have to send it in the orginial packaging, but they do make a comment that they are sure your order will be dropkicked from them to you....Sheesh...

This came from their website:

Returns

Damaged Goods: Each shipment is packed carefully keeping in mind that the order will probably be drop kicked from PA to your location. In the rare event that your order does not endure the extreme shipping, please either refuse the shipment or sign for it as "damaged" and call us immediately to start a claim. Please retain all boxes and packing material at least 15 days for inspection by the carrier.

We are so confident that you will like our products as much as we do that we will accept returns within 30 days of your original purchase without a restocking fee. Items must be returned in original condition for resale. In-store credit will be issued (not cash or credit card refunds) for all returns unless you were shipped something in our error.

I would certainly contact your credit card company and do a chargeback. You have enough information from their site and their emails to back up any claim they may have. It is possible to also file a complaint with the BBB of their area and that many times will get their attention. I would also check with your state and theirs regarding their consumer protection act. Sometimes, all it takes is knowing the laws, and offering to use it to not get treated like a moron. I'm sure there are hundreds of people that will still continue to use this company...even if most of us don't, but if you file a claim it is on record and they can't hide that.

Hi Top,

I agree to call your CC Co. for a charge back. How extreme can they be. I can understand a 15% repacking fee, but not towards "original packaging" material. Especially when their policy admits that your shipment "WILL BE DROP KICKED" to your destination. They should have double boxed the items. Especially "pricey" items such as melters.

I purchased some balmorals last fall. I also purchased "separately" the correct # of lids to go with these jars. I received 1/2 the # of lids that I ordered. I emailed them, no response. I followed up with a phone call.

Well to make a long story short, I am still waiting for the lids that I was charged for.

They have been off my list for awhile now. Too many good suppliers out there with excellent CS to tolerate that.

Hope everything works out for you.