Is there a need...

For a product/studio photographer? I'm thinking about reopening my photography business sometime later this year and thought I'd see what you guys were looking for in a photographer when it comes to your products and your business and if it would be something you would be interested in.

I've been doing this for many years, but stopped it about 3 years ago when I went back to my full time job. Back then I just shot weddings, graduations and my own/friends products among other things. I've been published several times in major newspapers, and loved doing it but really needed to try to get back to a job with a steady paycheck. I sold off most of my film gear to go digital this year, so I will have the most up to date equipment when I start this up again, even though equipment does not make a photographer.

Are you happy taking your own product shots for your publications/websites? What would make you look for a pro to do the work for you and what qualities are you looking for?

I'm going to bed, but I thought this started off is there a nerd ... (don't ask, I'm exhausted lol!)

To answer your question, I would think there would be a need. May people don't really have a variety of sets to use for their products. KWIM?

While I'm comfortable doing my own for now (since I'm not selling just showing) I can definately see a need. Just the number of "how do I get a good picture" posts says people need the service even if they don't think they should shell out the cash for it.

Sami

For a product/studio photographer? I'm thinking about reopening my photography business sometime later this year and thought I'd see what you guys were looking for in a photographer when it comes to your products and your business and if it would be something you would be interested in.

I've been doing this for many years, but stopped it about 3 years ago when I went back to my full time job. Back then I just shot weddings, graduations and my own/friends products among other things. I've been published several times in major newspapers, and loved doing it but really needed to try to get back to a job with a steady paycheck. I sold off most of my film gear to go digital this year, so I will have the most up to date equipment when I start this up again, even though equipment does not make a photographer.

Are you happy taking your own product shots for your publications/websites? What would make you look for a pro to do the work for you and what qualities are you looking for?

OMG...I AM DYING!!!! I didn't know you did this! DYING DYING DYING! I just sent my line to a Photographer three days ago! I love and adore you and your ideas..I bet you are GREAT at this! I would have much rather paid you...kept it in the family!

"What would make you look for a pro to do the work for you and what qualities are you looking for?"

I looked through my network, came up with a guy that shot Starbucks, Nike and others....checked out his portfolio etc.....BUT, I am not sure he has photographed candles...and every product is different.

WOW..I am so bummed about this. Oh well...now I know...maybe for my SPA line...OR Maybe if I am not pleased with his work I can hire you

I believe that professional photos are a must. If you have seen any of the pics I have posted you can tell why I need a pro! LOL

OK Sharon....what else do you do I dont know about?

Oh I 2nd, 3rd & 4th this idea. There is a huge need!

Even though I purchased a Nikon D70...my pictures still aren't what I want them to be. I can't stand the dorky backdrops that my home environment gives me...and the heck if I can visualize what I need to make them look GOOD

Save your pennies fast & get new equipment. OR, come to my house and use mine for me!

I think it would depend on the cost factors and shipping of products/setup. But there is a need for sure!

This is my feeling as well. I would absolutely love to have my products shot because I take lousy pics, but I can't afford an outrageous fee. I did some research a while back, but couldn't find someone affordable. So, imho, if you had a decent fee schedule, people would flock to you. Not saying to do it for free, but I can't afford to shell out $500 for pics. Anyway, long story short - I think there is a market for it both here and on other soap/B&B/candle boards. :)

I am very intersted in this too, because my pictures really do SUCK!!! LOL Can you please give us a price guidelines or something so that we can get a general idea before getting our hopes up. Thank You!

I definitely think there is a need too. I actually just hired a local photographer (actually, we're bartering!) for her to take good pictures of my product for my website and brochure.

Much like with my website, when it comes to photos, I can do it myself, but don't have the time or energy. That's why I had a custom template designed for my website. With photos, as much as I know I could get a better shot, life happens and I take the time to get pics when I can. Unfortunately it's often at night after the kiddies are in bed and the lighting sucks. I'd love to get better shots of my soap (I LOVE Robin's soap shots!!!) and briefly thought of hiring a local photographer, but for what I want, I don't think there's anyone around here qualified or cost effective.

C'mon girl - get your equipment and pm me! You know you need more LLC sugar scrub! I can send you a few gallons for some pics!!

Seriously though, from reading this thread, I think as soon as you get a fee schedule together you could probably post it and get a great response.

With your knowledge and experience with both photography and candles and B&B products, I think you could be very good at this. And you have contacts too that could help you to launch this business. You could specialize in this type of photography. You've definately come up with a good idea. I say run with it.

Yes, I believe there is a need for this. I can see many advantages to this. Someone to take pictures of your products in a imaginative and beautiful way. I would have fallen all over that. I was never able to take good pictures.

Thanks guys for all the replies. I definitely see there is a need so I'm seriously considering it. As many of you know, my full time job keeps me running about 70 hours a week on top of that, add trying to build my own business. It's just too much and my heart isn't in the job I've held for the last 12 years. Something has to give.

DH and I have been talking and we decided that I will quit my full time job later this year and fully devote my time to building my own BB and candle business as well as the photography business. I will come up with a pricing tier and all the other info as soon as I am at a point where I can spend time doing it. I anticipate this to be within the next 6 months. I'll work out all the details then.

As far as how to get your products to me to shoot, unless you're close or within driving distance to me, shipping would be the only option. We'll be moving to Western Kentucky within the next two months, so I'll be more centrally located than I am now.

Thanks very much for the encouragement. I feel really good about this aspect of the business and think that it will be something that will benefit everyone!