Emulsified Body Butter

cindym

Just finished reading this entire thread. haha I would love to give this a whirl, but am interested in using paraben free preservatives. Has anyone tried this with Optiphen? Use the same amount?

Has anyone else tried this with a paraben free preservative?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made it up end of January with Optiphen Plus at 1%...so far so good. Test strips for bacteria and fungi are negative so far, but I have yet to re-test after the 'use and abuse' method and of course will need to re-test weeks later to see if it's holding up.

I use O-Plus in my sugar scrubs and have found it works great for months and months...at initial test and after 'use and abuse'.

I made it up end of January with Optiphen Plus at 1%...so far so good. Test strips for bacteria and fungi are negative so far, but I have yet to re-test after the 'use and abuse' method and of course will need to re-test weeks later to see if it's holding up.

I use O-Plus in my sugar scrubs and have found it works great for months and months...at initial test and after 'use and abuse'.

Do you use the test strips from MMS? The test strips are things I used while I was having family and friends test my body creme but I had lab testing done when I started selling it. I sent my body creme to a lab for testing but that cost $900. Ouch!

Do you use the test strips from MMS? The test strips are things I used while I was having family and friends test my body creme but I had lab testing done when I started selling it. I sent my body creme to a lab for testing but that cost $900. Ouch!

Yikes. I thought I had read somewhere on here way back that someone was having stuff tested for 30-60 dollars. You must sell a heck of a lot to pay those kinda numbers. Our teeny shows around here it wouldn't pay.

Glo

Yikes. I thought I had read somewhere on here way back that someone was having stuff tested for 30-60 dollars. You must sell a heck of a lot to pay those kinda numbers. Our teeny shows around here it wouldn't pay.

Glo

Not for the preservative challenge testing and I got quotes from a handful of labs and they all were about the same. They introduce bacteria, yeast, and mold, then test to see how the preservative holds up at 14 days, then again at 30 days. Then I get all the scientific documenation that states my product passed the USP Preservative Effectiveness testing. So, I think since this is a testing processes that is certified by the US it costs more. I could have additional testing done for this same product that was initially tested with lower fees. And no, I don't sell a lot of product yet but I wanted to make sure what I had was tested properly and in a certified lab. I saved up for this and this is really the only product I sell that needs a preservative. It was expensive but it was worth the peace of mind.

If anyone knows of a certified lab that does USP preservative challenge testing that only charges $60 I would certainly like to know! I would then make additional products that need testing. Right now I can't afford to test new products at that price!

I didn't know MMS sells the test strips, I use the strips from Snowdrift Farm. I do an initial test when I make a batch. If no beasties appear, I retest again in a few weeks, and then again in a few weeks. If no beasties have appeared I begin my own 'use and abuse test'...(sort of an at home 'challenge' test)

I've tested my scrubs for over a year now, but I've just starting this process with my creams so have a way to go.

Sounds like the $900 test was a challenge test...one in which a lab introduces different beasties (I think 5) into the product and then tests). As you pointed out, these are VERY expensive and something I just can't afford.

I spoke with a lab tech who used to perform these test and she suggested my process. If no beasties appear during initial testing and after some use and abuse and a bit of time, it's reasonable to assume your preservative is working. Not an 'end all/be all' but better than nothing.

I guess this and a good insurance policy is the best some of us little guys can do:)

ooopppss, cbv1, looks like I was typing my post as you did yours...didn't see your reply

Is the challenge test an ongoing process? I mean, do you periodically have to test batches? Or do you test every batch with the challenge test?

I sent one recipe in for a challenge test. If I create a new recipe, then I would have that new recipe challenge tested. I won't have this recipe challenged tested again unless I make a change to the recipe. Before I sent my recipe in for challenge testing I did test it for almost 2 years, on and off, using the testing strips from Snowdrift. I tested it new, after a month of use, then 2 months after use, etc., until I finished up the jar. I never had anything grow on those strips so I felt pretty good about my recipe, but I decided if I was going to be in business, and sell my product, I needed to be absolutely sure. I sent this batch in for testing, using the exact recipe I use when selling my body creme so I am confident that it is a good recipe. I still use those test strips now and then. If I decided to sell a sugar scrub or emulsified body butter of some sort, I would have a batch of each challenge tested after I had gone through my own limited testing at home. I certainly didn't want to spend $900.00 and have my product fail the challenge test. My nerves were on edge until I received my results back, but it was party time when I had the documentation in hand that my product passed the USP Preservative Challenge test! So, the product has to be one I absolutely love, and one that I get rave reviews from my testers that give me feedback on a new product. Then I will save for a challenge test for that new product and hold my breath again! :smiley2:

I am making this right now and have been searching while my liquid and oils are cooling....when do you add the dry flo? At the end after you add the fragrance oil....or before.....? Help! I am afraid i am going to add it to late!

Oh good! I added it last and it turned out beautifully! It is still slightly greasy though. I guess most butters are. I like it much better than the balm I was making. This soaks into your skin after just a short time. I hope hubby likes it!

• 3 weeks later...

Cindy,

I made some of this today but tweaked it and it turn out soo good!! I only added 20% Olive oil and then added the other 5% Coconut oil. For the Butters I used Kokum.

The First time I made it is wasn't thick enough for a butter I put them in lotion bottles. This time since I tweaked it it came out so beautiful and creamy and just the thickness I wanted.:yay: :yay: :yay:

Barbara AL

I filled 3 jars and then filled an 8oz. bottle. My husband said he'd rather have some in a squeeze bottle so I thought, fine, if I can get it in there. So I filled a plastic baggie and cut a corner off and squeezed it in. About 2 weeks after I made this batch the bottled butter started to separate. I can't get it mixed back together either. The jars still look fine..... but we haven't been shaking it or mixing it up any. I would think the stuff I put in the bottle would be mixed even better, but it's the only one separating. Anyone know why it's doing this? Oh, and the stuff in the bottle is upstairs in our bathroom and the jars are in the cooler basement. Would that make a difference?

Hmmmm a couple of things come to mind. Is the bottle upstaris in the bathroom exposed to heat?

The other , most obvious thing that came to mind is , if you filled the bottle last, perhaps your mixture was no fully incorportated. Or maybe you introduced some air into to the bottle.

Can't say for sure. Somehow the bottle was compromised.

I think I found the culprit. I did cool it down in the freezer. I think I read somewhere on here, not to do that to soon. I still don't know why it is only separating in the bottle though. Probably cause it is slightly cooler in the basement and they have been undisturbed. It looks like baby vomit, but I am still using it up.....all those good oils can't go to waste!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

OK, just gotta do my annual bump of this recipe. This stuff is fabulous and I have my family clammoring for their "lube" as they call it. Made 4 batches yesterday and hope this keeps the family lubed till next winter. I sub shea for the mango.

Glo

• 4 months later...

Ahhhhh, I made this and it looked clumpy like cottage cheese. Anyone know what I could have done wrong??

ETA: I boiled my water and held it at 170 for 20 mins..added my butters,oils,steric and ewax, then added my FO and preserv. once i cooled some. Whipped it to death and then refrigerated and whipped some more.

Edited by Red

Ahhhhh, I made this and it looked clumpy like cottage cheese. Anyone know what I could have done wrong??

ETA: I boiled my water and held it at 170 for 20 mins..added my butters,oils,steric and ewax, then added my FO and preserv. once i cooled some. Whipped it to death and then refrigerated and whipped some more.

Maybe next time, don't put it in the fridge. Let it cool down naturally. Sometimes, cooling down too quickly when doing emulsified butters, it messes with the emulsion. Another reason is maybe you whipped it too much. Sometimes that breaks an emulsion too.

This is what I do: Once you get your water and oils emulsified really good, let it sit, and only use your stick blender periodically as it's cooling down. Once it's cooled to room temp, add your fragrance and preservative. Stick blend some more to incorporate. If you want a more whipped consistency, I would whip it a bit with a kitchen aid or whatever you have, once it's cooled down.

But don't over-whip. Or you might get more cottage cheese. :)

Edited by CBE