Got a phone message from a repeat customer

....saying her daughter is getting married and she wants to ask me about my candles.

So giddy with the vision of 100s of pretty little favors dancing in my mind, I return the call.

She says she'd like 12 mason jar candles to use in centerpieces.

<psssblpthhhhh....that's the sound of my bursted balloon>

Well, it's better than nothing I guess except for 1 thing...I don't make mason jars.

Do I want to order a new jar and go through the testing and all that just for this one potential sale?

I told her that I have 3 new containers and she can see them at the farmer's market which opens in a couple weeks....that maybe I'll have something to suit her.

I got the same thing from a friend whose nephew was getting married. 12 small tureens.Then I was doing some rose petals for a show and pretty soon those were added for the cake table(everyone thought they were real petal and smelled like roses).Then it was bears,lotion and soap for the wedding party so kinda grew as time went on.

Just this past March I did 110 packs of tarts for a charity auction for this friend.Also she got more lotion and soap for the auctioneer and his workers.So she depends on me when I keep finding more things to do.

I would love to do another wedding with tarts or something.I bet the 12 candles are to go on the tables.That was what mine were for.

LynnS

I wouldn't want to go through testing just to sell one case of candles, but I probably would because it is a very good way to get repeat business. Also, those jars don't seem to be as hard to wick as some other jars - and you won't be doing multiple scents (I assume), so it shouldn't take that much time. It would likely be a good investment, especially since she may realize that she will need shower favors, wedding favors, etc . . .

Unless you have to order those mason jars, couldn't you get them at the store that would save shipping. I would consider doing this only because it is a repeat customer. For centerpieces they probably don't need any fragrance so it may be an easy thing to do.

I know exactly what you mean, and I'm sorry for your disappointment! Honestly, unless you were to start selling the masons, I wouldn't go to the trouble. I just made 90 tins in a random size for a baby shower (darn big baby shower, LOL!) and even with the large number, it was still a huge PITA to test a new tin that I have no intention of adding to my product line. It was worth it for that many, but I wouldn't consider doing it for 12 after my experience.

I have done thousands of favors- they are a big seller for me, but a huge PITA at times. I would let this new potential customer pick from the jar selection you already have. It is very time consuming to test a new container, especially with the clock ticking. Oh no.. LOL!

Something has to give with her, IMO. You probably will offer her a scent and color choice, perhaps a custom label. (HUGE draw for favors- I would highly recommend offering this option.) If she is only looking at a case of candles for purchase, I would limit HER options. Unless she is opening her wallet a bit more.

If you think that you have the time to test a new jar before the wedding I would go for it. You never know how many people at the wedding are going to want candles. So you could potentially walk away with tons of new customers!

I say let her choose from what you offer. Let's just guess that 12 mason jars MAY bring you $100ish...is that really worth testing? And what if all the guests decide they want mason jars. Well, then you've just added a new candle jar to your line & need to test on all your fragrances. I think putting out what you offer with your contact info promotes what you currently sell and do well.

If you can get the jars locally and have ample time for testing I would do my best to accommodate her needs. It can't be all that time consuming, considering they are centerpieces which don't generally require FO. Who knows what may come out of it.:D Good Luck!!