Fo

KimM

Does anyone just put FO in a warmer and scent your house that way?

I know someone that does that. She uses a jar on a jar warmer and just adds oil to the jar and it scents her house.

I was also told that you could put a little wax in and melt it and then add oil so it would be like "making a tart in a jar."

I am thinking what an excellent way to test new oils, doing the wax way.

You shouldn't put just FO in a burner. Some people add some water, but then you have to keep an eye on it & keep adding water. But, I have a little trick I use:

I take an unscented tea light. I pop/scoop out the little mini wick. Then, I put the unscented tea light on top of the tart burner, wait for it to melt(melts quickly) & THEN I add just a few drops of Fragrance Oil. Since the wax is in there, I don't have to worry about it evaporating, like the water does.

That would be the same as using my soy wax, melting it first in the warmer and then add a little oil.

By using the soy wax, I can get an idea of how well the oil throws in my wax hehe.

I mix FO with water in an 8 oz. mason jar & put it on my candle warmer all of the time. Just made a habit of checking the water level regularly & turning the warmer off when I leave. I like it better than wax since it's easier to clean up.

I know a candlemaker that tests her oils by putting an oz of wax in the jar and melting it first and then add a capful of oil. Swirl it around to mix.

I am going to try that, it will save time I think. I make tarts to test my oils and I just got 50 new oils so if I can do it this way, I can test more in less time.

I've had scents that throw well in a tart, but not in a candle, lol. So the tart trick is not foolproof. But if a scent doesn't throw in a tart, it likely won't throw for me in a candle.

I only make tarts, is why I make tarts sometimes to test. I haven't gotten into making jars yet LOL.

I've had scents that throw well in a tart, but not in a candle, lol. So the tart trick is not foolproof. But if a scent doesn't throw in a tart, it likely won't throw for me in a candle.

I had Green Clover and Aloe throw well in a tart and not a lick in a candle:cry2:

Made me very sad because I love the scent!

I know a candlemaker that tests her oils by putting an oz of wax in the jar and melting it first and then add a capful of oil. Swirl it around to mix.

I am going to try that, it will save time I think. I make tarts to test my oils and I just got 50 new oils so if I can do it this way, I can test more in less time.

just make sure that you are testing at the same percentages that you will actually be adding oil.

if you are using only 1 oz of wax and a capful of oil that is way to much FO and you will not get an acurate measurement of throw.

If you only make tarts why don't you just make a tart and test it that why. I don't understand how it is that much different than what you are describing

and seriously some oils will throw in melts but not in a candle, be careful

I mix FO with water in an 8 oz. mason jar & put it on my candle warmer all of the time. Just made a habit of checking the water level regularly & turning the warmer off when I leave. I like it better than wax since it's easier to clean up.

How much oil and water do you put in?

just make sure that you are testing at the same percentages that you will actually be adding oil.

if you are using only 1 oz of wax and a capful of oil that is way to much FO and you will not get an acurate measurement of throw.

If you only make tarts why don't you just make a tart and test it that why. I don't understand how it is that much different than what you are describing

and seriously some oils will throw in melts but not in a candle, be careful

When I make tarts, I have to make 12 to test the oil. I haven't gotten the measurement down for just making 1 or 2 tarts so I use a 1/2lb wax and make a batch.

You shouldn't put just FO in a burner. Some people add some water, but then you have to keep an eye on it & keep adding water. But, I have a little trick I use:

I take an unscented tea light. I pop/scoop out the little mini wick. Then, I put the unscented tea light on top of the tart burner, wait for it to melt(melts quickly) & THEN I add just a few drops of Fragrance Oil. Since the wax is in there, I don't have to worry about it evaporating, like the water does.

That is a good idea too and since unscented tealights are cheap, I buy them at Wal-mart and get the 50 pk for $2.

Do you use a tealight warmer or electric?

When I make tarts, I have to make 12 to test the oil. I haven't gotten the measurement down for just making 1 or 2 tarts so I use a 1/2lb wax and make a batch.

Does anyone have the measurements down for just making 1 or 2 tarts?

I just did this today in my crock/warmer. I had a little oil that is not enough to make tarts so I thought I'd use it like you do.