If ...

Scented

(tempting to lead off with lyrics from the song ... :P )

but seriously... if you CP with full water and average cure time is 6 weeks for most soaps, would the cure time be longer if you use full water? And if so, is there an estimate on how much longer? I was just trimming soap made, I believe, about 3 to 4 weeks ago and it's still soft where soap was trimmed away.

I'm glad you asked this question because I was wondering the same thing.

Also, can anyone tell me if it's alright to wrap soaps in plastic before full cure? I'm mailing some out that are only a few weeks old for the newbie swap, and I don't want them to start growing or get funky before they arrive. :eek:

I thought cure also had to do with the water being allowed to evaporate to allow the bar to be harder and the chemical reaction to complete. So more water can mean a longer cure time. My experience has been that when I use full water, I can have a longer cure time and yes, my oils can affect that too.

If ... (tempting to lead off with lyrics from the song ...

"If a picture paints a thousand words than why can't I paint you. The words will never show the you I've grown to know..."

Ok, I don't have anything to add about the soap but I couldn't resist. That was the first song that was sung at my wedding. Gee, I hope that is the "If" you were refering to?

I have to let my so ap cure 6 weeks before I can test them? or can I sneak and test a bar after about 4 weeks?? lol I hope I'm not testing it too early :shocked2:

I'm still alive and I'm not scratching

I don't have enough experience to give you the "correct" answer, but I've used mine right after I unmolded it. Okay, right after I stuck my tongue to it and didn't get zapped. :D

No problems so far, in fact it's pretty nice. :)

LOL! Yep that was the song ;)

Val, if I'm not mistaken, you can use it right away just to see how it reacts, but the longer it sits the better. Hope that's the case, because I've used test cuts a day or two later to check the lather. If it's supposed to sit awhile, then that would be one explanation why I haven't liked anything I've done.

David Gates and Bread. Boy I must be getting old.

Cure time? Some soapers use soap as soon as there's no zap. Personally, I have dry skin and can't use super fresh CP. I wait at least 4 weeks; 6 is better.

I find that the lathering qualities and bar hardness improve with age. So longer is better. There's no rushing a fine wine, and we will sell no CP before its time. :laugh2:

Edited to add: Soft soap? Yes, water discount will make it harder faster. Also, upping the amount of hard oils and decreasing soft oils will make a difference. CP will most likely get harder than HP. And almost ANY soap, regardless of oils, will get rock hard over time. It just takes longer if you use more water and more soft oils. A soaper with more experience than me taught me early on that even a soap made with 100% soft oils (an all-olive castile, for example) will stay soft for quite a while but EVENTUALLY gets rock hard. That's proven true for me in my experience too.

Edited to add: Soft soap? Yes, water discount will make it harder faster. Also, upping the amount of hard oils and decreasing soft oils will make a difference. CP will most likely get harder than HP. And almost ANY soap, regardless of oils, will get rock hard over time. It just takes longer if you use more water and more soft oils. A soaper with more experience than me taught me early on that even a soap made with 100% soft oils (an all-olive castile, for example) will stay soft for quite a while but EVENTUALLY gets rock hard. That's proven true for me in my experience too.

That is exaclty what I was thinking and what my experience has been too. :)

Well now see I would think it wouldn't be soft by now, even at full water, but I have a soap almost a month old that's telling me otherwise. It's been set out to cure, rotated etc. and well ... I want it harder lol.

I have to let my so ap cure 6 weeks before I can test them? or can I sneak and test a bar after about 4 weeks?? lol I hope I'm not testing it too early :shocked2:

I'm still alive and I'm not scratching

I usually always take a bar of soap into the shower as soon as that baby is cut. LOL But I also take a bar from the same batch into the shower after it's been well cured to compare the difference and mildness. What a difference time will make. :)

So to answer your question, no you don't HAVE to wait, but like AJ said earlier, it will have a tendancy to dry your skin out if you don't wait at least a couple weeks.

That's good to know. Now what is it? lol!

This is from MMS:

INCI: Sodium Lactate

Sodium lactate is a natural humectant, moisturizer and pH regulator. For lotions replace the liquid glycerin with sodium lactate, in soaps use up to 1/2 ounce per lb of fats to harden the bar. Produced from renewable resources and completely biodegradable makes sodium lactate a better choice when moisturization is desired. Studies have shown sodium lactate to be a better short term and long term moisturizer than glycerin, our long loved friend. Try the tests for yourself. Make your favorite lotion twice, once with glycerin and once with sodium lactate. Apply the lotion to your leg or arm twice daily for 2 weeks. We are sure you will notice the difference. Sodium lactate is less sticky when compared to liquid glycerin so if you are trying to formulate to make a less sticky lotion use sodium lactate instead of glycerin. Sodium lactate 60% USP.