It this a good list of scents to start out with...

Guest highflier

Guest highflier

I am adding a line of candles to my store and was wanting to know if this looks like a good list of scents to start off with for the fall and winter:

1. Harvest Spice

2. Pumpkin Pie

3. Mulberry

4. Vanilla

5. Hot Apple Pie

6. Macintosh Apple

7. Sugar Cookie

8. Cinnamon Stix

9. Gingerbread

10. Hot Coco

11. Grandma's Kitchen

12. Apple Struddel

13. Patchouli

14. Fruit Slices

15. Blueberry Muffin

16. Baby Powder

17. Pears & Berries

18. French Vanilla

19. Strawberry

20. Cucumber Melon

21. Cinnamon Bun

22. Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

23. Spruce Christmas Tree

24. Apple Jack Peel Fresh tangy apple cider with a touch of spice.

25. Sweet Pea

26. Pine Needle

27. Lavender

28. Christmas Spice

29. Banana Nut Bread

30. Christmas Splendor

31. Candy Corn

32. Sage & Citrus

33. Peppermint

34. Lovespell A Victoria Secret type

35. Lilac

36. Clean Cotton This fragrance oil is like the Yankee type. Spring is in the air! It is a soft clean scent

37. Home for the Holidays Blend of spruce, lightly sweetened bakery notes, spice, & candied fruits.

38. Autumn Afternoon

39. Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin

40. Warm Vanilla Sugar

41. Snickerdoodle

42. Spiced Cranberry Fresh tart cranberry with a hint of spice

43. Red Hot Cinnamon

44. Gardenia

45. Vanilla Hazelnut

46. Creme Brulee

47. Pink Sugar A playfully soft women's fragrance with the sweetness of sugar, cotton candy, musk and light florals.

Need help with three more fragrances. I will be making containers and votives. Do ya'll think this to many fragrances to start out with?

I also would like some help with type of containers to use.

I will be using the elevation jars 16oz. and 10oz. net weight and

8 oz. jelly jar. I need some help with some other jars that are great sellers that are not so hard to wick. Any opinions here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I am adding a line of candles to my store and was wanting to know if this looks like a good list of scents to start off with for the fall and winter:

Dude, what are you up to and how long have you been up to it? You may not be quite ready to take the world by storm if you're relatively new to this. Do you realize you're going to have to test each FO in each container to figure out how it performs with the wax, the amount to use, and how to wick it? Not to mention the votives. That list is mildly insane.

Wow, that is a lot of scents! I started with twenty and that was too many to start with. Are you making these candles, or purchasing them? If you are purchasing them then dont worry about their being too many other than having too many for customers to choose from. If you are actually making the candles, I would start with less.......maybe 3 or 4 each of bakery, floral, fruit, etc. HTH

Pam

Dude, what are you up to and how long have you been up to it? You may not be quite ready to take the world by storm if you're relatively new to this. Do you realize you're going to have to test each FO in each container to figure out how it performs with the wax, the amount to use, and how to wick it? Not to mention the votives. That list is mildly insane.

I ditto that.

Guest highflier

Yeah you can call me insane. I have been working for the past 3 weeks 12-14 hours a day. I ordered a Coogar Mark VII pouring machine that will be here Friday. Don't know if you have seen this equipment but the people I have talked to love it. Here is there web site http://www.coogarproducts.com/. It pricey at $18,500. Dont have to mix fo and dye into wax. It goes thru a mixing chamber that spins it 10,000 before it goes into the container. It takes 1 minute to go from one scent/dye to another. I have been pouring all my container w/o wicks. Makes for quick changes when the wick is not right.

I have a pool and spa retail store that is fixin to be so slow in about another 2 months and figured putting candles in there will keep the sales going. I have myself and my two employees to get 50 fragrances poured and burned in the next 6 weeks. Good thing I can pour all these test candles in one day. Everyone will be completly test before they are sold. I'm a perfectionist, got to be right.

I appreciate your help in the past. I'm finally getting the hang of wicking these jars. Finally got my melt pool to 3/8" deep in 4 hours. If its drafty it will be about 1/2". I burned 2 today for 6 straight hours and it was about 9/16" deep in drafty conditions. So I'm getting pretty close on the wicks now. I'm figuring worse case seniros that the customer will be using the candles in. Drafty conditions and I didn't even trim the wicks for the previous burn. They were 3/8" long instead of 1/4". That really make a big difference.

Anyway thanks again for your help. Haven't gotten a whole lot of responses to my post. I got a lot of work ahead in the next 6 weeks. Sounds crazy huh. Going to put 2,500 container candles and about 6,000 votives in the store and call it Wholesale Candle Factory Outlet. If you make some pretty pillar candles I may be interested in buying some fancy one to put in the store as well. I'll work on them at a later time.

Sincerly thanks again,

Mike

Guest highflier

Yooper I thought to many choices would be a bad thing. I may do 30 instead. But which 17 do you cut out? Choice can be good and can be bad. Really could use some help here.

Thanks,

Mike

Sounds like you have alot of work ahead of you. I wish you luck. You know there are always folks here willing to lend advise/help. You have a large undertaking ahead of you and if you've tested and tested somemore and feel comfortable with your product, best of luck.

We love to see pictures, hint...hint;)

Have you tested all those for throw? Some of them might not throw at all.

IMO, there are a lot of scents that are similar. I personally don't think it's worth carrying 3 scents that smell almost the same, different name, you know? JMO

edited to add: I've also noticed that too many sometimes can be overwhelming to a customer. By the time they sniff half of them, they can't smell anymore or distinguish what's good or not. A lot of the times, they can't decide and don't buy at all. Keep it simple! I think 30 sounds much better!

Well if you're calling it Wholesale Candle Factory Outlet, you will need to carry quite a lot of scents (though still not necessarily as many as 50) as the name implies. While having too many choices will be confusing to the customer, it may not be so bad if you group them according to their scent types. In this way someone who doesn't like florals can just skip that section altogether.

Guest highflier

I promise I will snap some pictures of the store when we get it loaded with all the candles. I'm hoping to have most of it done by the end of September. Wax will be here tomorrow and pouring machine will be here Friday. Then lots of work!!! It can't be more work then racing though. Check out my racing website. http://www.nitrousshop.com/index.html. If you want work there it is! LOL

Thanks again,

Mike

If I were to cut 17 scents, I would leave these, IMO:

Harvest Spice

Pumpkin Pie

Mulberry

Vanilla

Hot Apple Pie

Macintosh Apple

Sugar Cookie

Gingerbread

Grandma's Kitchen

Fruit Slices

Blueberry Muffin

Pears & Berries

Strawberry

Cucumber Melon

Cinnamon Bun

Spruce Christmas Tree

Apple Jack Peel

Sweet Pea

Christmas Spice

Banana Nut Bread

Christmas Splendor

Sage & Citrus

Lovespell A Victoria Secret type

Lilac

Clean Cotton

Home for the Holidays

Autumn Afternoon

Warm Vanilla Sugar

Spiced Cranberry

Red Hot Cinnamon

Gardenia

Vanilla Hazelnut

Creme Brulee

Pink Sugar

Since I'm not familiar with some of the scents, how close do these compare? I bet they're pretty similar (cinnamon-y and spicy) and you could cut out 3-4 of them.

Christmas splendor

Autumn Afternoon

Christmas Spice

Grandma's Kitchen

Harvest Spice

Apple Jack and Peel

JMO!

Guest highflier

Trish I will only use the scents that throw well. I'm trying not to get to many scents that are the same. I'm getting my f/o from atlantis and they told me some just don't throw well. I told him then by all means don't send them to me. I will send them my list tomorrow and he my cut out several of these because of not being good scent throwing oil. So far every candle I have tested has had a unbelievable scent throw. I have tested hot coco, honeydew, apple struddle, butter cream crunch, mulberry, and vermont maple syrup.

So which ones would you get rid of in my list?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm getting my f/o from atlantis and they told me some just don't throw well. I told him then by all means don't send them to me.

Just remember, that everyone's results are different! Even the same wax/ wick combo, someone will have a great throw with one FO and another person won't.

I posted above which scents I personally would remove, and it's just my opinion!!

You don't show where you are located. Favortie scents can be a regional thing. Some customer bases go for clean and herbal scents and others go for the food scents. You might consider a smaller container for those that want to try a new scent. Or maybe you are counting on the votives to provide a low cost sample of a scent. Good Luck

1. Harvest Spice

2. Pumpkin Pie

3. Mulberry

4. Vanilla

5. Hot Apple Pie

6. Macintosh Apple

7. Sugar Cookie

8. Cinnamon Stix

9. Gingerbread

10. Hot Coco

11. Grandma's Kitchen

12. Apple Struddel

13. Patchouli

14. Fruit Slices

15. Blueberry Muffin

16. Baby Powder

17. Pears & Berries

18. French Vanilla

19. Strawberry

20. Cucumber Melon

21. Cinnamon Bun

22. Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

23. Spruce Christmas Tree

24. Apple Jack Peel Fresh tangy apple cider with a touch of spice.

25. Sweet Pea

26. Pine Needle

27. Lavender

28. Christmas Spice

29. Banana Nut Bread

30. Christmas Splendor

31. Candy Corn

32. Sage & Citrus

33. Peppermint

34. Lovespell A Victoria Secret type

35. Lilac

36. Clean Cotton This fragrance oil is like the Yankee type. Spring is in the air! It is a soft clean scent

37. Home for the Holidays Blend of spruce, lightly sweetened bakery notes, spice, & candied fruits.

38. Autumn Afternoon

39. Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin

40. Warm Vanilla Sugar

41. Snickerdoodle

42. Spiced Cranberry Fresh tart cranberry with a hint of spice

43. Red Hot Cinnamon

44. Gardenia

45. Vanilla Hazelnut

46. Creme Brulee

47. Pink Sugar A playfully soft women's fragrance with the sweetness of sugar, cotton candy, musk and light florals.

Need help with three more fragrances. I will be making containers and votives. Do ya'll think this to many fragrances to start out with?

I also would like some help with type of containers to use.

I will be using the elevation jars 16oz. and 10oz. net weight and

8 oz. jelly jar. I need some help with some other jars that are great sellers that are not so hard to wick. Any opinions here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

A cinnamon buns would be nice to add.

Guest highflier

Sharly I did forget to mention that I'm in Shreveport, La. That is in the Northwest corner of the state. We all love food so I know the food scents will be good. I have taken heed to the advice and dropped my list down to 37. Don't really want to get much less then this. Like someone said it is going to be a wholesale candle factory outlet and customers will probably expect alot of choices. Here is what I have so far:

1. Harvest Spice

2. Pumpkin Pie

3. Mulberry

4. Macintosh Apple

5. Sugar Cookie

6. Gingerbread

7. Hot Coco

8. Grandma's Kitchen

9. Apple Struddel

10. Fruit Slices

11. Blueberry Muffin

12. Baby Powder

13. Pears & Berries

14. French Vanilla

15. Strawberry

16. Cucumber Melon

17. Cinnamon Bun

18. Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

19. Spruce Christmas Tree

20. Butter Cream Crunch

21. Sweet Pea

22. Lavender .

23. Banana Nut Bread

24. Christmas Splendor

25. Candy Corn

26. Sage & Citrus

27. Lovespell A Victoria Secret type

28. Lilac

29. Clean Cotton This fragrance oil is like the Yankee type. Spring is in the air! It is a soft clean scent

30. Home for the Holidays Blend of spruce, lightly sweetened bakery notes, spice, & candied fruits.

31. Autumn Afternoon

32. Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin

33. Spiced Cranberry Fresh tart cranberry with a hint of spice

34. Red Hot Cinnamon

35. Gardenia

36. Creme Brulee

37. Pink Sugar A playfully soft women's fragrance with the sweetness of sugar, cotton candy, musk and light florals.

I still need some help with containers. My main jar is going to be the elevated jar going to pour 15 of each scent in a 22 oz. jar and 15 of each scent in the 15 oz. jar. Do ya'll feel that is still a nice jar to use as a main jar. I also will pour some 8 oz. Jelly Jars, 8 oz. tumblers.

But I still need some more help for a few other jars that are popular. How do the 11 oz and 22 oz barrel jars sell? Also if someone has some nice pillar candles that they can sell at a wholesale type price I will be interested in buying about 40-50 candles. I really loved this candle http://www.rhapsodycandles.com/welcome.html. If you have some pictures send them to me.

Thanks again for everyones help,

Mike

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you...you're going to be one busy guy! One suggestion I might add is that you incorporate more herbal/floral and fresh scents. The majority of your scents are bakery or fruit. You've got a whole lot of people out there that like their houses...and bathrooms...to smell fresh and clean...not like food. I'm one of those people. Although I like a bakery or fruit scent now and then...the sweetness of them gets to me after awhile, so I don't burn them for long periods of time. Now give me an herbal/floral or fresh scent, and I will burn them all day and night in several rooms of my house. Just my opinion, do with it what you may. Good luck in your venture!

wow.... Candles and high performance parts!! My two favorite passions!! :cool2:

I agree with Fern, you need a few fresh scents, maybe water? Storm is good for me with my 'male' crowd. Right now, I have several loving the Cigar, Leather line. Just a thought....

Guest highflier

Ok what would be some good scents that are not food and bakery.

I guess I could drop some and add

Jasmaine

Ocean

Fresh Cut Roses I tested this and it smelt just like the real ones!

How about a few other ones for me.

Thanks,

Mike

I definitely agree that you need some fresh, clean crisp scents....i personally can't stand foody scents...they make me get a terrible case of the munchies and headaches if there is a "cinnamony" smell to it

some popular scents for me...jade, green tea, white tea & ginger, blackberry sage, storm watch, clean cotton

don't forget florals too.....lavender, lilac, and jasmine are quite popular for me as well

hth

I have to ditto Trish. Some of the scents on the list are very similiar, i.e,, Cinnamon Stix,Cinna Bun, Red Hot Cinn: Spruce Xmas Tree, Christmas Splendor, Pine needle: Hot apple pie, Apple Jack, Mac Apple, Apple Strud. That's 11 scents that could be cut down to 3 for now then rotate the scents based on the season.

Guest highflier

Thank you guys and gals so much for all your help with my scents. I see what you are saying about duplicate fragrances. Here is my new revised list of scents. Tell me if you thinks if this is a little more diversified:

1. Harvest Spice

2. Pumpkin Pie

3. Mulberry

4. Fresh Brewed Coffee

5. Sugar Cookie

6. Gingerbread

7. Hot Coco

8. Grandma's Kitchen

9. Apple Struddel

10. Fruit Slices

11. Blueberry Muffin

12. Baby Powder

13. Pears & Berries

14. French Vanilla

15. Strawberry-n-Cream Bird of Paradise

16. Cucumber Melon

17. Cinnamon Bun

18. Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

19. Banana Nut Bread

20. Butter Cream Crunch

21. Sweet Pea A light refreshing floral on a background of musk

22. Lavender

23. Jade

24. Lilac

25. Jasmine

26. Sage & Citrus An herbaceous bouquet with floral top notes and a sweet woody background.

27. Lovespell Sweet citrus bouquet enhanced by hints of peach and berries on an undertone of musk.

28. Gardenia

29. Clean Cotton This fragrance oil is like the Yankee type. Spring is in the air! It is a soft clean scent

30. Home for the Holidays Blend of spruce, lightly sweetened bakery notes, spice, & candied fruits.

31. Jamaica Me Crazy A sweet tropical and fruity blend reminding you of the islands

32. Blackberry sage

33. Spiced Cranberry Fresh tart cranberry with a hint of spice

34. Red Hot Cinnamon

35. Christmas Splendor

36. Creme Brulee

37. Pink Sugar A playfully soft women's fragrance with the sweetness of sugar, cotton candy, musk and light florals.

38. Candy Corn

39. Fresh Cut Roses

40. Endless Love A green fruity floral bouquet with apple, rose & jasmine top notes with a sweet woodsy musky background.

Really do appreciate your opinios.

Also still could really use some serious help with some jars. Here is what I have so far: http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Tab=2&CatalogID=3&CatalogTitle=0&ProductID=3330using the 16oz and 10oz for my main jar line up. Also using the 8oz Jelly Jar.

I like this but not to sure http://www.alabastercandlesupply.com/proddetail.php?prod=BAR-11&cat=8

Remember I live in the Louisiana.

Thanks again for all your help,

Mike