Firestarter wax to sawdust ratio

I have a ton of scrap wax, I have done some searching and found that you should put the sawdust in a pan and then add wax until it is all moist then put it in your cup. Should I add more wax then that?? I don't want them to look like a clump of nasty sawdust..I want pretty firestarters any suggestions?? TIA

I have never made these kind before, but recently bought some that the gal had taken pinecones and dried them and dipped them in wax. They work GREAT and I am planning to try that with my extra wax. I read that you are supposed to use enough wax (with the sawdust) to make it sort of like oatmeal consistency and then pour in the cups. Would be interested to see what this looks like. We burn fires all year long and go through a ton of firestarters.

I am just experimenting with these too! I use a muffin tin with a muffin paper in it. I use cedar chips (I buy these for my kids' pet rats, so have plenty on hand) fill up the muffin paper with chips and pour my extra wax on top. I have been trying filling wax to different levels and I have found out that you shouldn't fill it too full, because it is harder to light. I tried out a couple this past weekend in our fire pit and they worked really well. I have seen some people put pinecones but I haven't tried that yet. I have to admit that I am a little worried about the pinecones snapping when they burn.

My mother had something similar when I was a kid - someone did the same thing, but put it in an egg carton. You just had to break off an egg portion and then the cardboard of the egg carton was very easy to light. Granted, they aren't as pretty, but they work very well.

I am just learning too, but I found that these are easy to make. Have fun experimenting!

Funny you should ask this today--I am making them as we speak...cleaning out jars of old wax

I fill my cupcake holders about 1/2 to 3/4 full, pour melted wax over, stir around a bit for wax to soak into sawdust, refill to top if needed and add my potpourri on top.

Hope that helps....

I use the pine hamster litter in my firestarters. I use the party cups like the ones you use to put nuts or mints in at a baby/bridal shower. I top my firestarters off with a little decorative potpourri, just to make them look better. I use the cheap dollar store potpourri.

Edited to add: I forgot to say that I add wicks to my firestarters for easy lighting. I use the small pieces of wick that are left after I trim my wicks on my container candles. I never waste anything.

I think if you dry the pinecones in the oven at 200 for 20 minutes first they don't snap. I've never had a problem with the pinecone starters we have used. As far as lighting goes, if you put in a cheap wick, they are REALLY easy to light. :)

I have done these a few different ways. I have filled paper portion cups (ones you put ketchup in at restaraunts) about half full of sawdust (got for free at local lumberyard), then topped with wax. I have done this using cupcake tins with cupcake papers, and I have dipped the pinecones. When I dip the pinecones I melt my wax to about 130 degrees or so. That way it sticks to the pinecone and I don't have to redip. HTH. Oh yeah, the paper cups and the cupcake liners I added a short piece of cotton twine to serve as a wick to start the fire.

I do it the same as Bev, but also add some paper from a cross cut shredder, to my wax and cedar chips. I think the potpourri adds a lot of eye appeal. I got my condiment cups at the local restaurant supply store, cheap.

Thank you all so much for your answers, luckily my FIL has a woodshop so I get all the sawdust I can ever imagine. Now just to experiment with cup cake liners and maybe even buy dollar store potpourri. Thanks again this is all useful information.

I make mine a little different, I mix my wax and sawdust together till it's thick and then spoon it out. Ive used dixie cups, ketchup cups, even the volette molds (I only use pillar wax so it comes out ou the mold) Right now I have these molds http://www.pourette.com/product.asp?Product_Id=27817&d_Id=6984&l1=6984&l2=

I usually give them out to our camping buddies that we camp with.

I make mine a little different, I mix my wax and sawdust together till it's thick and then spoon it out. Ive used dixie cups, ketchup cups, even the volette molds (I only use pillar wax so it comes out ou the mold) Right now I have these molds http://www.pourette.com/product.asp?Product_Id=27817&d_Id=6984&l1=6984&l2=

I usually give them out to our camping buddies that we camp with.

LOL not to sure that I want to make anything that looks like buffalo poop!!!

I thought fire starter made from pine cones was a HUGE no no. We just had this talk a few months ago and everyone was saying no way to the cones. Im very surprised no one has mentioned it so far in their posts. Most people dont even burn pine wood in their fire placed because of how it will clog up their chimneys. I have some of the buffalo chip molds from pourette. I bought them new about 25 years ago. They work great with straw or hay what ever you want to use. I make them with scrap wax from my carved candles. I think a bail of straw would make enought fire starters to last a few years. Straw in what ever shape you mold them into would be a much better choice than pine cones or saw dust. IMHO Bruce

I do know about buffalo chips, I just don't think I could sell them that way. Straw does sound like a good idea, though sawdust is free for me. I am not heading down the pinecone trail, I have heard many many times that is a no no. I just want to use up scrap wax, so I figured wax, sawdust, and a cupcake liner would work, just didn't want to make them to dry.

You know I take my straw and cut it up into about 1 inch long pieces and load them into the wax. Its like having a hundred wicks going all at once when you light them. I would guess that 90% of sawdust is pine or maybe even TREATED wood (like they use for posts) and treated stuff you cant burn, VERY dangerous fumes. Thats why I never used sawdust. I do have some wood chips that I saved but they were pine too so I used it around my strawberry plants. Bruce

• 5 weeks later...

You can burn any kind of wood you like in your fireplace. the small amount of pine your using would not be harmfull. Plywood is a big no no. Even that in a fire starter is no big deal. Not a signifacant amount.

ive even read that you can use dryer lint as the body of the starter.

Be very careful if you are collecting the stuff. My sister was saving hers for that, and had a big pile of it next to the dryer. Unfortunately it is basically explosive and somehow it caught fire when her DH was doing some work on the dryer and it did a lot of damage.

you can also go to your local farm store and buy shavings that are used for horse bedding, they are pine, fir, that small amount will not hurt anything it is kiln dryed so the cresote amount is very small to none.

I thought fire starter made from pine cones was a HUGE no no. We just had this talk a few months ago and everyone was saying no way to the cones. Im very surprised no one has mentioned it so far in their posts. Most people dont even burn pine wood in their fire placed because of how it will clog up their chimneys. I have some of the buffalo chip molds from pourette. I bought them new about 25 years ago. They work great with straw or hay what ever you want to use. I make them with scrap wax from my carved candles. I think a bail of straw would make enought fire starters to last a few years. Straw in what ever shape you mold them into would be a much better choice than pine cones or saw dust. IMHO Bruce

The amount of creosote in a pine cone is so small that you would have to burn several truck loads to cause any major problems..... however burning pine wood is not a good idea...... except in camp fires.

The gentle man that installed my friends wood burning stove. Stated that pine is ok as long as you use oak ... other hardwoods also. The key he said was to having a good fire going. All wood will produce creosote.

I agree pine can lead to creosote buildup faster. However if you clean your chimmeny or have it done. This will never be a problem.

I have had a woodburner in my garage for years. I burn pallet wood pine any thing except plywood of course. I have never had a big buildup.

I also grew up with a fireplace. we never had a chimmeny fire.

The main problem with pine is it burns too fast. Oak and other hard woods burn slower.

The amount of creosote in a pine cone is so small that you would have to burn several truck loads to cause any major problems..... however burning pine wood is not a good idea...... except in camp fires.
Most of the pine cones I see in my yard have a ton of sap on them. Makes the pine cone "pop" and "spit" when it burns, you ever seen one jump out of a fireplace from this pop? I have. NOT SAFE as a fire starter IMHO. Bruce

Most of the pine cones I see in my yard have a ton of sap on them. Makes the pine cone "pop" and "spit" when it burns, you ever seen one jump out of a fireplace from this pop? I have. NOT SAFE as a fire starter IMHO. Bruce

I agree with you on that one. I have seen them "pop" and it isn't safe at all, but to each his own.

I am making them with sawdust, wax, and cupcake liners and it appears to be a good mix.