looking for recipe

I hope you do a lot of reading & research here & not at the craftbits.com site. I'm not too impressed with some of their instructions.

Never found that site before, but I went to check it out. ummm, they have instructions for adding pinecones to your pillar! Can you say big giant firestarter???

Check out Donitas instructions - you will be safer and happier!

Katie do you mean embedding silk or dry leaves into a pillar? If so please be aware that that would be a major fire hazard. If you mean embedding leaves into a hurricane then go to Techniques and Ideas in the left margin of this page. You'll get step by step instructions. Definitely check out the pictures of what Donita has done. They are amazing.

thanks.. not too worried about the sites link as they are great inspiration...

but thaks for the links I have looked at her posts they are great too..

umm arn't all candles a fire hazard.. LOL

No all candles are not a fire hazzard. Just improperly made, improperly burned, and/or unattended candles are the ones that you have to worry about. There's a big difference in a chunk of wax with flamable materials embedded in it, that the flame could come into contact with and ignite, and a properly made candle that has been tested to insure a safe burn. A common misconception is that all you have to do is melt wax, put a string in it and you have a candle.

People do ALOT of stupid things with candles, then blame the candle when there house goes up in flames. I think decorators are the worst at this. I've seen some of the most dangerous "ideas" suggested by professionals on TV, on websites, and in magazines. Last winter I saw one put a bunch of lite votives amounst pine branches, including the branches sticking over the flames. Just because it's pretty, or "inspirational" DOES NOT make it safe. I saw another turn wine glasses unside down and place votives on top and lit them. Votives completely liquify, this is a gigantic mess, as well as a fire just waiting to happen. These people do not try out there suggestions before telling others about it.

Yesterday I saw Martha Stewert making seashell candles, and she said, "These are great to go to sleep by." Are you freaking kidding me? We put warnings on each and every candle telling them not to leave burning candles unattended. Then someone like Martha, who many respect suggest that they do otherwise. I just dont get why people refuse to respect an open flame.