what am I doing wrong?

ok guys I need help. I came home from work today and my candles that i poured last night are getting wet spots or it looks like the wax is pulling from the jar. you can see the pics of these candles Im talking about in the other post i wrote last night called 70/30 candle pics.

anyways

I heated to 195 F

added fo and fragrance at 195 F

and poured at 175 F just like Green Leaf suggests

I had this problem with the EZ Soy and I thought that the 70/30 wasnt suppose to do this. Im thinking its gotta be something Im doing wrong.

I try to pour as slow as possible. I live in an old farm house and I let my candles cure on my dining room table. I have the window open while im making then because the Fo makes me sick. But when you walk past the table the candles shake because of uneveness of my floors. Could this have any effect on the candles ?

Here's the thing: You cannot control the occurrence of wetspots and this is a prime example. You can do everything while pouring to prevent them, but changes in the humidity or temperature after pouring can cause them to occur. No wax is perfect and wetspots aren't completely preventable.

I've had only one small wet spot on one container and another container the wax separated about an inch deep all around the top. The day I poured them, it was cold & raining. Your pouring temps sound good so I'm thinking it may have to do with the ambient temp in the house. Try warming the jars before you pour and cover or wrap them so that they cool slowly. The draft from the window might be causing the problem. I'm in a old house(built 1912) with uneven floors too and don't see that as a problem. Only thing the creaky floors would do is give you an unlevel top. HTH

You know what I have those "jump lines" as well. I just didnt know the correct way to explain them to ask about them. i wll make another batch on Sunday and Ill pour at 165 F and see what happens. Ill let ya know. Im just worried that when I go to sell customers will not like the look of them. It personally doesnt bother me that much.

I think we are far more sensitive about wet spots than the average customer. Now that I make candles I visit the candle department of EVERY store:tongue2: I can't pass up comparing my candles to the mass produced ones. If you start doing this you would be surprised at how bad the candles in Yankee, Walmart, Target, and especially Michaels look. They all have wetspots and frosting and so on. Plus most of those don't even burn nice.

Anyway, the point is that if you take the time to test and make a really nice smelling candle that burns well, people won't notice the wetspots.

There are things you can do to HELP avoid wet spots. But they aren't foolproof because temperatures in the environment change, thus shrinking wax away from the jar.

1. Choose a wax that's rated highly for good adhesion to containers.

2. Follow the mfr's directions carefully regarding pouring temps.

3. Preheat your jars. Warm, not hot.

4. Allow candles to cool SLOWLY. Put them in a cooler and close the lid. Or use a cardboard box insulated with crumpled newspapers. You get the idea.

5. Once the candle has completely cooled, keep it at a constant warm temperature (see, here's where it gets tricky!) If your house gets cold at night, or they travel in a cold car, etc., they're gonna spot. When wax gets cold, it just plain shrinks.

I agree with the others that only some chandlers are particular about them. My customers only care about the pretty colors and the scent throw. LOL

Crafty and Angela are 100% correct. Although there are things you can do to minimize wet spots shortly after production, you absolutely can not control them. Wet spots are one thing.....shrinkage. Maybe you can control the ambient temperature (and thus the spots) in your own surrounding and/or where you store them, but once they leave your premises.....in your car, to a retail outlet, to a customers home, you have no control over the temperature and if they are going to appear, they will appear, period. Doesn't matter what you do. Learn to love them. They bother you far more than they bother customers.

Who knows what happened. I have a square container candle I poured at least 5 years ago, one of my first candles. Don't know what kind of wax, just a paraffin. Some kind of apple pie scent with a very bright red. Still adhearing to the sides, still smells great, never burned it cause it was just to look pretty in my kitchen, jar has an apple shade. The other day it had the oil on top, after all these years. Wish I had kept notes back then, and now, cause this candle has the best cold smell. If you want to remelt try putting in the oven on low heat melt all the way then let them harden up in the oven very slow. Might work, who knows.....