Lush Bubble Bars vs PVS Recipe

lindsaycb

I just have to jump up and down. I purchased a bubble bar on ebay since there is not a Lush anywhere near me. I just wanted to touch & experience their products first hand.

I cut one in half last night and can you say DISAPPOINTMENT? The bubbles didn't last even 15 minutes. The fragrance was nasty and the brightly pink bar did nothing in my water for color.

SO...in comparison. The PVS recipe is a huge success. My bubbles with those last well over 45 minutes. My fragrances of course are better (LOL) and the colors at least tint the water to make it a little fun!

I've been making these for a couple years now and LOVE them. I'm sticking with this one!!

http://www.pvsoap.com/recipe_bubble_bath_drop.htm

do u mind sharing how you package these?

I just have to jump up and down. I purchased a bubble bar on ebay since there is not a Lush anywhere near me. I just wanted to touch & experience their products first hand.

I cut one in half last night and can you say DISAPPOINTMENT? The bubbles didn't last even 15 minutes. The fragrance was nasty and the brightly pink bar did nothing in my water for color.

SO...in comparison. The PVS recipe is a huge success. My bubbles with those last well over 45 minutes. My fragrances of course are better (LOL) and the colors at least tint the water to make it a little fun!

I've been making these for a couple years now and LOVE them. I'm sticking with this one!!

http://www.pvsoap.com/recipe_bubble_bath_drop.htm

I completely agree!!

LUSH is overrated and all of their stuff smells like horse shampoo to me *LOL*

IMO what makes LUSH so appealing are the displays and "natural" look to all of it. I agree, some of their products are not so great but they are a multi-million dollar company so they must be doing something right!!;)

Yep it's all in the marketing-dang them. ;)

IMO what makes LUSH so appealing are the displays and "natural" look to all of it.

I don't think they have a "natural" look to them, unless they've changed in the last year or so. ??? Hmmm I've always considered them to be kinda funky and edgy. LOL

• 1 month later...

Just a quick question, what is the purpose of the cream of tartar? Can it be subbed with anything? I went to the store to get some of this and it was like 8 bucks for a 2 ounce bottle.

Dont' shoot me for having this opinion, but I LOVE some Lush stuff. Love it. I've used bubble bars that filled the tub with bubbles that lasted long after the water was emptied. I've had some amazing fragrant bath bombs (oh LORD do I love "All that Jasmine" - tho of course the discontinued it), and I am in love with Karma... Karma soap, Karma powder, Karma you name it.

I think their stuff is good cause I've never seen ANYTHING with so much of a fragrant punch as some of their bombs!

Oh, and that shampoo Big is amazing too (tastes like a Marguerita - don't ask me how I know).

So I confess, I got into all this cause I love Lush and cannot afford it.

Not to say you all don't have higher quality stuff, and not to say there is not better smelling stuff out there.... I just have yet to fall in love with anyting else.... YET

As with all items, it's a matter of personal taste, if you are completely satisfied with what you are currently using, why bother changing? I think many people on this board find that products that other companies offer do not fit our needs, be it fragrance, soap bubbles , moisturizing..or price range. All up to the one who is ultimatly using the product, and enjoying it

quote]

Why change? Well I guess cause I'm as addicted to trying new things as I am to Karma :)

And besides, I know they are scalping me! And because their stuff is not consistently great - I think they sell some stuff that is way past its prime and I hate not knowing if this'll be the "bad batch".

But I am always desparately seeking Jasmine!

Just a quick question, what is the purpose of the cream of tartar? Can it be subbed with anything? I went to the store to get some of this and it was like 8 bucks for a 2 ounce bottle.

Try subbing cornstarch. Pulled that off a site where they were trying to match the lush recipe. The gal who did said no noticeable difference.

Here it is pretty reasonable in bulk: http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamCat=1&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=4284

Reasonable compared to supermarket prices, that is.:rolleyes2

This is the shipped price, but they do have a 4.95 handling charge per order.

I dug out my picture from Christmas open house...

InKristinesShower.....pm me. I don't have a working website these days as I'm putting together my store. But, I'll have plenty of bubble bars here shortly.

Hey, girlie, whatch using for a mold for those bubble bars?

Are these suppose to big rock hard after they dry? I have another recipe I use and they are rock hard after 2 days. I made some from this recipe and they are still cumbly. Is that the way they are suppose to be?

How long in advance do some of you make items like this (bubbling type products) before a show? Also does the SLSA loose some bubbling power after a while. Asking because the first bombs I made last winter seemed to have better bubbles than the fresh bombs I just made lately. I am wondering why as I used all the same ingredients. Have kept SLSA in closed container but maybe it lost its OOMPH anyhow??? I still get bubbles but not big long lasting ones.:cry2:

GLO

The molds I used were from Dollar Tree. They're little plastic food containers that come with lids. I believe 12 to a pack. They're pretty sturdy & perfect for a number of things. I use them for apres glow molds too. Love the size.

I am trying to find a size smaller though for bubble bars. Sometimes they get to be too hard to break off a piece. So a smaller version would be better.

I wouldn't sub oils for glycerine at all. I've found that oil actually decreased your bubbles in total amount and in how long they last. Maybe subbing with aloe gel would work? But I'm not sure on that at all really.

Now, here's an interesting fact...

I made a batch of white tea & ginger bars (from ICS) and colored them in yellow from select shades. They got hard as they normally do, but then the color on the outside faded & it became wet. Almost like it was pulling moisture from the raining weather? I'm assuming this is from the corn starch? Odd odd...oH and now 60 days later they bubble, but nothing spectacular in my mind.

BUT, now at the same time, I also made some bars using oxides. One in citron et figue (SC) and black rasp. vanilla (peaks) and they bubble still like nuts, last forever & they're rock hard still. I can crumble off pieces too.

Go figure. But I think I may just stick with powdered colorants.