Finally, I get my Soy Jars working!

NattyCat

Newest creations - all made today.

"Angel" in white, Chocolate brownie in brown, baby powder in pink and in the background there's double layer "St Clements" (orange and lemon with wax lemon slice embeds)

Finally getting no frosting and plenty of scent throw with CB135!

Nat

DSCF0003.JPG

I'm in the UK so I guess we have different ones over here. There are some great ones in the USA but the cost to ship them over is insane!

I like these ones as the plastic stopper comes off the lid so you can fill the cap with rose petals, or dried fruits or pot pourri etc and then put the stopper back on!

Nat

Thanks Suzie,

I market the jars as reusable and people complained that they couldn't get the sticky labels off easily - so I bought myself a paper guilotene and just print those tags out both sides on thick paper and fold in half. You can fit a lot more information on them, including info on your other products! I just use a hole punch and raffia. Quick, easy and a clean jar!

Nat

Colors look good but have you tested those jars?

What size in US inches is the top?

To me the top opening is to small and will not release much scent and it may be to small to burn right not large enough to get enough oxygen to burn. It will be hard to trim the wick and may smoke.

Hi All,

Will try to answer questions all in one go!

The jars are called "apothocary" jars, I'm in the UK and I get them from a company here for about $1.50 each. The plastic stopper comes off so you can put things in the lid if you wanted.

The embeds are made from soy wax - they're not "in" the wax, there are lemon slices sitting right on top, next to the wick with a bit of wax poured around them to make them look embedded into the surface. Stearine usually hardens soy wax enough to make actual embeds as long as the overpour is very cool though. Photo below.

I've extensively test burned in these jars and the throw is amazing - the opening of the jar is just over 3 inches across, which I think is fine for a jar?? I'm still burning a rosemary mint one which doesn't just fill the room with scent, it fills the whole end of the house within 45 minutes of lighting.

DSCF0006.JPG

yep, I thought so too. The actual jar is only slightly wider than the neck opening also. The glass is rather thin though, so I advise my customers to only burn for 2 hours and not the 4 that it states on the safety label. Never had a breakage even though I've burned for longer, but better safe than sorry - (although I have crafter's insurance in case anything bad DID happen!)

Nat

as I said, they are just over 3 inches across - about 3 and a smidgen. The larger jars with the embeds are just over 4 inches across, I can see how my answer above wasn't very clear because I spoke about the embedded jar in the same paragraph as I gave sizes for the apothocary jar.

All the text I mentioned about testing, was about the bulb-top apothocary jars too.

Are american inches bigger or smaller than UK inches? I thought they were the same?

Nat

as I said, they are just over 3 inches across - about 3 and a smidgen. The larger jars with the embeds are just over 4 inches across, I can see how my answer above wasn't very clear because I spoke about the embedded jar in the same paragraph as I gave sizes for the apothocary jar.

All the text I mentioned about testing, was about the bulb-top apothocary jars too.

Are american inches bigger or smaller than UK inches? I thought they were the same?

Nat

Thank You for making that clear. It's just that picture of that jar looks so much smaller than American apothecary jars.

The reason I asked for US inches is I don't use metric and the UK does.

16oz Apothecary Jar.bmp

Hi There,

Yes, the jar actually looks like that but it is taller and the neck is taller - the proportions are about the same though, and I guess because the neck is taller it makes the width look smaller. Could also be the angle of the photograph!

Nat

Your candles look wonderful, but I think they would look better if the caps were filled w/ something, jmo, though.

The reason I asked for US inches is I don't use metric and the UK does.

Here's a website everyone will find VERY useful for conversions ... I have it saved in my favorites. As you will see, you can convert just about anything.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

yes you can fill the lids - i tend to use dried fruits, silk flowers or pot pourri, depending on the candle fragrance. Tried embeds, but they just make the glass dirty. Any other suggestions always welcome as I've run out of ideas.

Nat