Monoi de Tahiti, Cocoa, & Shea Souffle

magsglass

I'm so thrilled, I just gotta share. I made my very first whipped body butter yesterday and it turned out great!! :yay:

I was inspired by Sara's White Chocolate Bawdy Butter (thank you, Sara!!)

Only made a 1 lb. batch to start, just to see if it would turn out. I used the soapcalc.com's calculator to tweak the recipe until I thought it seemed to have the right qualities for a body butter.

Ingredients:

Cocoa butter (deod.) 85.3g/3.01oz

Jojoba oil 56.7g/2.0oz

Mango butter 42.6g/1.5oz

Monoi de Tahiti 42.6g/1.5oz

Shea butter (ref.) 170.1g/6oz

Sweet almond oil 42.6g/1.5oz

Cyclomethicone 9.5g/0.33oz

IPM 4.7g/0.16oz

It whipped up really easily and has held it's whipped consistency beautifully, although it set up stiffer over the 24 hours. Hence why it feels more like a souffle than a mousse now. :wink2:

The Monoi scent is there, but not overpowering. Rubbed some on my legs after I made it, and even after a shower the next day they still feel silky, which is amazing since nothing ever seems to help my dry skin.

Next time I think I'll cut back on the shea a bit and increase the mango because it's just a little too oily feeling to me. Does that sound right?

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Bunny, and for moving this thread to where it needed to be. Guess I was just so excited with successfully making my first B&B product, and starting my first thread at Candletech, that I stuck it in the wrong forum area. :embarasse

It's awkward being the new kid on the block.

• 1 month later...

Mags- your recipe sounds delightful.

Not a huge fan of Cocoa Butter, it seems to make recipes stiffer over time for me and leaves a film on my skin.

CGDM sent me some truly fantabulous Monoi Butter she formulated herself.

This stuff is To Die For! I absolutely am in LOVE with it. I have to give her a shout out as I won't even share my stash of it with even my closest friends... :P

I wont tell you what she is now that she has tried this monoi... lets just say she is a "monoi garden tool" :shocked2: <her words almost but edited for sensitivities! lol>

And thank you Terri for the vote of confidence in this newbies butter!!!! You are my mentor from heaven!!!

Maybe you can sub hydrovance or glycerin for the cyclo? I'm not sure though. I'm a noob. :P
NOT!!!

Thanks for sharing - I'll have to put it on my list of things to do LOL! Still have 2lbs of Monoi sitting on my shelf waiting for me.

OMG, I'm sorry. I didn't see this thread was alive until now.

Subbing something for the cyclo... I'm pretty sure this recipe will work just fine without IPM or cyclomethicone. They do give it a tad more slip, but if you use mango butter in their place, it will still whip up really nicely.

I whip for a bit, stick the bowl (stainless) into the freezer until it starts getting hard around the edges, then whip some more. I repeat whipping & freezing until it floofs up to double the original size. I use a hand mixer on HIGH because it works better for me than the big stand mixer I have. I can move really quickly around the bowl, incorporating a lot of air, to get the mixture well blended this way.

Also, I've found the trick to getting a whipped consistency is to keep the butter from getting warmed by the friction of the beaters. It's gotta stay cool, like when you're making real whipping cream, or else it will fall. So I only do around 20 seconds of whipping, with 5-10 minutes of freezing in between.

The Soapcalc... I used this wonderful resource to configure my recipe because it gives info about the oils' characteristics. Knowing these characteristics made it easier to formulate the butter (at least in my mind it did). Also, I love Soapcalc because I can just fill in the ingredients to get the recipe weights/percentages, and then print off a copy for my binder. (I just ignore the lye & water specs).

HTH! :)

Soapers has really good Monoi. Thats where I get mine from and its awesome! Its the least expensive I have found and since she is really close to me I can get my orders the next day and save on shipping!:yay: