Whipped Shea Butter

Carol T

Hi every - I just joined today.

I'm in search of a whipped shea butter type recipe. Does anyone have one they share? I found a couple on snow drift farm, but I'm hoping to find one that doesn't call for aloe butter or hemp seed oil. I don't have those on hand...and I'm trying to use what I have in the house!

Thanks!!!

Carol:grin2:

I tried making the snowdrift farm recipe. Although I really liked the consitency I would say it was too temperature sensisitive. On a 72 degree day it became extremely soft and almost lost its whipped texture. I would try decreasing the liquid oils. You don't need to use the exact same liquid oils, a subsititute should be fine.

If you find a recipe that you have everything BUT a specific butter just sub it for the Shea that you have. You can take straight Shea butter whip it alone. Add a little dry flo to help with the slip and a little vit e and scent and you've got yourself a great butter. I like to use several different butters of equal amounts and then use about 1/4 of that total amount as an oil. You will find it to be a super easy and very rewarding product. Good luck.

Thanks for all your help! I'll go check out those links. I realized that when I wrote down the recipe from the first reply- I didn't see any directions! Hopefully I can find some and make it when I get home from work tonight. I bought some menthol crystals that I'd like to use and make some sort of my own ben gay....

i'm so looking forward to sharing with all of you!:grin2:

Wow. what fun i'm having. I was reading this one from last year...

and I have a question! Here's the recipe....

2 Cups Baking Soda

1/4 Cup Cream Of Tartar

1 Cup Natrasorb Bath

1 Cup Epsom Salt

1/2 Cup SLSA

1/4 - 1/2 Cup Glycerin

What is SLSA? THANKS THANKS!!!

I just made a batch for butter, and added some stearic acid to stiffen it up a little. So far it has a nice fluffy texture, but I made it last night so it still may harden up a bit more. I used a little more oils then butter but I was wondering (hoping, lol) that since I added the stearic acid that it wouldn't melt as easy?

For my shea body butter I only add shea oil and some eo's and call it " Simply Shea". You don't have to use the exact same oil that is called for in a recipe for shea, just something that feels nice on the skin and to help give it that nice whipped texture.

Ok well I did it. I had all this UR Shea from Agbanga. It nice stuff but has a strong smell. Hard to cover up. I used a honey almond from WSP. Didnt turn out bad. I piped it into the jars with a ziplock and I guess that is the best method. Still trying to figure that one out. It had a bit of grain but it blended right in. There was a bit of shea not well blended but I may just market as buried treasure shea when I go to market it if I am really lazy lol. I added a bit of cornstarch but it was still a bit greasy. I used 80 shea, 10 castor and 10 SAO.

So how does everyone package this stuff?

how do you cover up the smell?

I will probably use FCO next time around as the castor was a bit heavy... I will have to see in a couple of days

Xposted from the dish

The smell of shea does not bother me, I like the unrefined stuff. :)

There are scents that help to cover it up better, just play with them and see what you like.

I found that ziplog piping can melt the shea (heat of the hands) and alter the nice consistency that you get from whipping, so I scoop and tap, scoop and tap.

As far as oils other than castor - try shea (I loved that, like Shelia, then it is 100% shea as well). Jojoba is nice, too.