Newbie here Needs help

Guest Japes

Guest Japes

Hello all. WONDERFUL forum. I'm just now wanting to get into candle making and was looking to put together a short list of recommended resources. For example:

1-Best soy wax for purposes of scent throw and fragrance load.

2-Best parafin for purposes of scent throw and fragrance load.

3-Best supplier of fragrance oils, waxes, containers, wicks, etc.

4-What supplies such as burners, etc, you would recommend that I start with.

5-Tips and tricks for newbies. For example, what is the best temperature at which to pour the oil, for purposes of scent throw? Best wicks to use for slow, even burning, and maximum throw/burn pool. Etc, Etc, Etc.

I'm looking forward to everyone's input. I really love this board.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going to get TONS of answers to your questions, BUT if there was ONE perfect supplier or wax or wick or fragrance oil ect.... why the heck would any of the others be on the market even? Its all about reading up on candle making, and testing. Its a long road and we have all had to do it. There is no real answer to your question, you have to find out these things for yourself grasshopper. ;) Bruce

Hello and welcome to the board. :)

I would highly suggest that you utilize the search feature and your free time to get answers to your questions. You would want to create your own masterpiece, not mirror someone else's due to a lack of testing/creativity and easily obtainable knowledge found on this board and other web sources.

It would be best to assume you will receive a variety of responses from candlemakers on all skill levels. Keep reading, there is a plethora of information out there for you at your fingertips.

Check out the Techniques and Ideas in the left side column on this site. There are simple to follow instruction here. I started by getting some wax and wicks and began to see what happens. Trial and error will teach you more than anything. Keep notes and learn as you go. Suppliers are a great source of info on wax, they know their products and can help you decide what is best for your needs.

Cheers,

Janette

Suppliers are a great source of info on wax, they know their products and can help you decide what is best for your needs.

LOL at that post. You can try a suppliers wax and use it exactly as they tell you melting temp, best temp to add FO, best temp to pour etc. and it not work at all for you. I just find most suppliers directions to general and not very specific. Most just use the info supplied from their suppliers. They may not use or test any products they sell.

If a supplier has a message board then that's where you find better info about their products because customers post results like this board by Peaks Candle Supplies.

Candle Making is a major trial & error and lots of testing. Always keep notes of every little thing you do to make a candle room temp, heating temp, pouring temps etc. Record everything you do even how you do it and what you use to do it. That way you can go back to your notes to figure something out.

Guest Japes

I appreciate all this, but, a starting point for all these things would be GREATLY appreciated. It's a bit overwhelming when you don't even know where to START.

I appreciate all this, but, a starting point for all these things would be GREATLY appreciated. It's a bit overwhelming when you don't even know where to START.

First, decide what type of candle you want to make - container, votive or pillar.

Then, decide whether you want to use soy or paraffin wax.

After choosing which type of wax, find the suppliers closest to you and find out what waxes they sell.

Research the waxes on this board to see which one(s) sound like something you want to experiment with. Ex. you live near Supplier A, who carries 3 paraffin container waxes. Supplier B. is farther away, but carries a 4th type of wax, etc. These are the waxes you want to start researching first, since shipping costs can be extremely expensive.

Buy sample slabs and start testing.

We cannot tell you what the best wax is because everyone will have a different opinion. Same thing for fragrance oil. You just have to do some research to narrow down your choices and then take the leap and decide what to start testing first. Buy sample packs of fragrance oil, sample packs of wicks (based on the wick recommendations for the wax you choose). Seriously consider getting a starter kit because they can be pretty useful to get your feet wet. I started with votives, which I think are pretty easy to make, and expanded from there.

I'm a newbie as well and I can tell you that your best bet is starting with a kit. This way, you will get a "feel" for it without making huge purchases at first. Another piece of advice is to find a supplier near you so when you are ready to make large purchases, shipping doesn't eat you alive.

I had the same questions you did, but truly there are no answers because it's based mainly on personal preference. (Even geographic location/altitude can affect how your materials behave when making candles.) I will say that a lot of times when you have a question, you will find the answer on this board if you search it a little. I have spent many hours here reading and jotting down notes. It is a pain and time consuming, but I guess it really all depends on how bad you want it.

The people here are very helpful and very friendly, but they will not hold your hand. Most of the time they give away much more information than is truly deserved. They have spent many, many months--sometimes years finding the answers to the questions you have just asked.

Welcome, though, and stick around...I promise you will learn a great deal!;)

Guest Japes

Thanks for the wax tip. Can someone maybe help me by mentioning 3 or 4 good fragrance oil suppliers? Maybe if you have had experience with a couple and some of your favorite scents with those?

I have read a lot of good reviews about Peak so you may want to give them a try. I used to buy my oils from Longwycks but the business was sold to Rustic Essentials (sp) and i also read so good reviews on that company.

HI and WELCOME to CT,, www.peakcandles.com for the Kit,,They have the BEST for your money!! If you take and add each item up that Peaks offers in there Kits you will pay much much more,,And their Scents are awesome!!!!!!!!!

So you wanna do containers,,get the container Kit,,,

I love Pillars and started there!!!

Anyway,,here are my 2 cents worth,,get a notebook,,,read,,take notes on EVRYTHING and read some more,,Even if you start with a kit,,TAKE NOTES!!!! this is very important!!!! your notes are your recipes,,,,:D

Guest Japes

Just checked out that starter kit. Thanks for the tip. What are your thoughts, or anyone else's, on the wax that is included in that kit. It's IGI 4630 preblended.

Hello all. WONDERFUL forum. I'm just now wanting to get into candle making and was looking to put together a short list of recommended resources. For example:

1-Best soy wax for purposes of scent throw and fragrance load.

You will have to test different waxes. It's really a personal thing.

2-Best parafin for purposes of scent throw and fragrance load.

Again, buying different waxes and testing.

3-Best supplier of fragrance oils, waxes, containers, wicks, etc.

Again, no one should even consider answering this, as it's a personal preference and there is a ton of testing involved.

4-What supplies such as burners, etc, you would recommend that I start with.

5-Tips and tricks for newbies. For example, what is the best temperature at which to pour the oil, for purposes of scent throw? Best wicks to use for slow, even burning, and maximum throw/burn pool. Etc, Etc, Etc.

Will depend on the wax etc, etc, etc

I'm looking forward to everyone's input. I really love this board.

Take time and read the posts on this board. Research as to what kind of candles you would like to make.

Possibly invest in a kit, which will include everything you need.

Candlemaking is truly expensive, but if it's something you really want to do, you will take the necessary time to research.

Has anyone tried the:

Wick your Wax

Fragrance oils found here?

http://www.candlesupply.com/WYWfragrances.htm

I'm curious because they are ABSURDLY expensive but they claim them to be the strongest, uncut oils.

any thoughts?

I have used many of their oils and have never been disappointed.I keep trying other oils and suppliers, and have found many good oils elsewhere...but I always find myself landing right back at WYW when I get tired of the gamble,disappointments and hit and miss supplies coming in.

I have found that almost every supplier has some good FOs, but not every supplier has every oil that is good except for WYW. JMHO.......and you must know that "good" is subjective. What is good for one is not necessarily good for another.

Welcome to the board.

Guest Japes

Are they as strong and concentrated as they claim? In other words, if you are using 1ounce to 1.5 ounces normally, per pound of wax, can you really use less than 1 ounce with THESE oils?

Japes,

If you're looking to buy a kit, and want to try soy, I highly recommend Millcreek www.millcreeksoywaxcandlesupply.com - an excellent supplier. You get everything you need to make three 16oz container candles for around $25.

I would also recommend Snowtop www.snowtopcandlesupplies.com - another excellent supplier. You get everything you need to make twelve 8oz container candles for around $75.

There are many excellent suppliers, but I am only listing the above suppliers . . . too many choices, too much confusion. Also some suppliers don't sell kits.

HTH. ;)

Japes just go make the candle. You will not have the perfect candle until you make one. Everyone has different opinions on what and who is the best supplier. and they are just OPINIONS. yours will be different. You are just gonna have to jump in a and mess up like the rest of us!

Dat

Are they as strong and concentrated as they claim? In other words, if you are using 1ounce to 1.5 ounces normally, per pound of wax, can you really use less than 1 ounce with THESE oils?

I've used one of WYW oils and yes it was very strong, and you can use less oil per lb of wax, BUT, to throw in a hitch....there are MANY suppliers out there that carry oils that throw well at lower percentages that don't cost nearly as much. The type of wax and wick you use will also determine how well a certain FO will throw at lower percentages. You can spend top dollar on fragrances, but if your wax & wick combo is incorrect you won't get diddly squat for throw.

Start with the basics before you start spending big $$ on Fo's! Get your starter kit and take it slow is my best advise! Good luck and welcome to CT :D

Something else to keep in mind when deciding on wax....wax is a heavy shipping item so see if you can find a wax you like that is close to you. I don't know where you live but shipping on wax adds up really quick!!

You only need about .5 oz pp with these oils (or less for the top shelf line), so the cost evens out and they aren't that expensive. They are excellent oils and if you want high quality, give them a try. You can get a sample pack of these oils at BCN.

Also, try Just Scent, Peak, Snowtop and Millcreek for more fragrance oils. These are great companies. Millcreek has a soy wax kit that would be great to start with.

I didn't like 4630 when I tested it, but other people on here use it and love it. Just goes to show that what works for one won't work for all. :)

Japes just go make the candle. You will not have the perfect candle until you make one. Everyone has different opinions on what and who is the best supplier. and they are just OPINIONS. yours will be different. You are just gonna have to jump in a and mess up like the rest of us!

Dat

Well said DAT!! LOL.