What are you adding to M&P

Livelovebath

Welcome to soapmaking!

I am new at making CP soap (which is but one of the reason I joined this board) but have been making M&P soap for years.

You have an amazing amount of options when working with M&P. I usually start out with a basic 'hand milled' recipe before adding anything else but you certainly dont have to. Some of my favorite things to add are:

cinnamon--1/4 tsp per 6 oz. of soap

ginger--1/8 tsp per 6 oz

chamomile--contents of one tea bag usually will do the trick

unbrewed coffee--about 1 tsp per 6 oz

There are also a bunch of fruits and vegetables that you can add but you will definitely need a preservative for those. You can also find recipes to add cornmeal, aloe, vit E, sand, witch hazel, almond and all other kinds of herbs and spices. Pick a recipe, try it out and have fun!

I put 2 ounces of shea butter in a pound of mine. You can do the same with cocoa butter also. I also use Lavender buds, oatmeal. I really do not measure them but I would say it is about a half a cup per pound. Make sure your soap is cool enough so it suspends in the soap. I made a chocolate one last night I added a heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder to 2 lbs and 2 ounces of cocoa butter. It came out great. You can also add loofah to it. Hope this helps.

I did alot of research on the web, there are tons of recipes out there. Here are some basic guidlelines that I use

Essential oils- 1 tsp. PP

Herbs finely ground- up to 1 TBSP.

Aloe gel- up to 1 TBSP

honey- up to 1 TBSP

oils(jojoba, apricot, hemp, others) 1 TBSP

oatmeal finely ground-up to 1/4 cup

powdered milk- up to 1/4 cup

clays- 1-2 tsp

Those are the basics- I have found with dried materials, like herbs or oatmeal, the finer you grind them, the more they stay suspended, let the base cool way down then stir them in.

i am also new to m&p soap. just wondering why adding differnt things to soap is it to give it appearance or does it achieve a different purpose? such as smoother skin & can anyone recommend different links that gives this info. such as shea butter adds smoother skin for an example. so if this sounds weird not feeling good.:(

• 3 months later...

I add allllllllll kinds of stuff to MP soap, here are just a few:

Shea Butter

Mango Butter

Jojoba Oil

Emu Oil

Coffee

Cinnamon

Paprika

Cold Cream

Lotion

Stearic Acid

Glycerin

Sugar

Salt

Castor Oil

Cocoa Butter

Cream

Goats Milk

Honey

Oatmeal

chamomile

Vitamin E

beeswax

Milk powder

Poppy Seeds

I have a very large list of some things I haven't tried yet as well, in addition to a whole bunch more things I have tried lol. I have found that when something suggests that a butter or other additive will "kill" the lather, it generally means that it kills the bubbles a little, but in these cases, the lather is usually extremely creamy and luxurious.

Nope. When I said that oils and butter "kills" the lather, I meant exactly that. It kills it.

Well that sucks! What kind of MP base do you use? I haven't made an MP soap yet that doesn't lather. I've made several that don't have a ton of big ol bubbles though. There's always some, but when I make a luxury bar they aren't as big and free flowing! Lather is always present though, and lots of it!

I generally use SFIC soap base. I have used oatmeal, honey, powdered milks (which happens to be my favorite), vitamin E, herbs, all kinds of exfoliants, etc... Adding oils and/or butters in small quantities makes a very slick and softer bar with practically no lather. Perhaps the base that you are using can handle such a change. I have also added some olive oil and had ZERO lather. LOL! I think that SFIC base is perfect as is. I do love the dry milks in some of my variatations. Did you really add lotion to your MP base? That sounds so interesting and I always pondered doing that, but did your finished soaps get a lot softer?

I generally use SFIC soap base. I have used oatmeal, honey, powdered milks (which happens to be my favorite), vitamin E, herbs, all kinds of exfoliants, etc... Adding oils and/or butters in small quantities makes a very slick and softer bar with practically no lather. Perhaps the base that you are using can handle such a change. I have also added some olive oil and had ZERO lather. LOL! I think that SFIC base is perfect as is. I do love the dry milks in some of my variatations. Did you really add lotion to your MP base? That sounds so interesting and I always pondered doing that, but did your finished soaps get a lot softer?

Hehe, yeah, I really did add lotion. I'll have to dig up that recipe. It wasn't much, I think around 2tsp pp of mp base. The finished soap was no different in it's softness, but the lather was nice and creamy for sure. I have to admit, with my MP soap, I measure like a fool. I highly doubt if I've ever had 2 recipes turn out exactly the same. MP soap has been very forgiving in that respect for me, which is one of the reasons that I enjoy doing it probably a little more than I enjoy making CP soap.

Well that sucks! What kind of MP base do you use? I haven't made an MP soap yet that doesn't lather. I've made several that don't have a ton of big ol bubbles though. There's always some, but when I make a luxury bar they aren't as big and free flowing! Lather is always present though, and lots of it!

I've been experimenting a little with additives. The base that I'm using (BB's) by itself gives a instant, frothy-bubbles; the Castor Oil changes that to a thick, creamy lather which I like better.

Shea butter made the bars moisturizing but too much did raise havoc with the lather.

Shea butter made the bars moisturizing but too much did raise havoc with the lather.
Exactly! If you put in a decent amount of shea, it is goodbye lather. If you put in too little, how can you really call it a shea butter soap?

Now about lotion in soap base.... I always like creamy lather. So I am going to try the lotion for the heck of it. :grin2:

When the weather cools down we might have to think about doing a MP swap huh? Maybe a Ultra Additive MP type thing? Recipes included?? It's too damn hot right now to even consider it for me, I have enough on my plate with the shop and the wholesale accounts, BUT.. come fall, I'll be much more energetic lol!

When the weather cools down we might have to think about doing a MP swap huh? Maybe a Ultra Additive MP type thing? Recipes included?? It's too damn hot right now to even consider it for me, I have enough on my plate with the shop and the wholesale accounts, BUT.. come fall, I'll be much more energetic lol!

Okay Prairieannie.. I am new to this MP soaping and I want in on the Ultra Additive swap too! Please let me know when it cools down enough for ya! I was given what is sounding like an amazing recipe with Goats Milk MP and I want to give it a try, and get the opinion from gals like you that have the experience. THanks!

Teri

I just add skin safe FO.I might try a couple things like shea butter but I am like one person.If it isn't broken why fix it? I do not color for the reason I think what is in the MP is a good soap.Like Goat's Milk and Honey MP so I have what I want in the soap base itself.JUST NEED some scent.

LynnS

What about Calamine powder-has anyone added this to MP, I purchased some in hopes of making a calamine soap for posion ivy for my mom who seems to find PI on a regular basis. I haven't researched it enough to see how much to add yet but figured it wouldn't hurt to have the calamine powder here just incase I find the time.

Angiestaff