Soy in B&B vs. allergies?

daniedb

I've been reading on the Dish that a lot of people avoid using soy in their b&b because of allergies...what the heck? I realize this may cause me to sound like an absolute idjit, but I thought soy was generally used by people who were highly allergic to many foods. I know that there have been some recent studies that show that very, very levels of soy intake have been linked to health problems, and contribute to certain kinds of cancer, but allergies? I knew this not. Anyone want to enlighten me?

I think that it's the protein in soy that most are allergic to, not sure though. The oil should be okay, since that doesn't contain any of the protein, but still, if I had an allergic reaction to something, I'd stay away from all forms of it just to be safe, the more you are exposed, the stronger your reaction can be (with some allergies).

Soy oil is used in almost all breads, crackers, cookies, etc made today. Not just in regular stores, but in healthfood stores also, there is a lot of soy listed on the labels.

It is an allergy that can have a very severe reaction like peanut allergy. Right now it is not as common as peanut allergy. But then several years ago peanut allergy wasn't all that common and now look at how airlines have stopped serving peanuts as snacks. So I am thinking that in time to come soy allergy will become more prevalent, perhaps as much so as peanut allergy. How soon this will happen I do not know, but because I don't want to have to reformulate everything in the near future, I opted not to use any soy ingredients. Like Gene, I do know someone with soy allergy and it is no joke. It is really a hassle for allergy sufferers because soy ingredients are in so many things these days, perhaps even more so than peanut ingredients.

P.S. I've also read that high levels of intake can cause breast cancer. Not sure how true this is, but probably best not to take too much just in case.

I'm a fan of that one too. I borrowed it from a friend so my kids could watch, and they loved it as well. Now I need to find our own copy!

I did get them the newest one, about the Were Rabbit. LOL :grin2:

ETA: Sorry for the hijack, danie! My bad! :-( Don't blame sudsnwicks -- she was just being courteous to answer my question. LOL

Oh, pshaw! I got my question answered, I don't care about no sinkin' hijack! And in fact, to add to the hijack: my dad has recently taken to calling the H-Bomb "Grommit". I've never seen the movie, so I don't know if that's good or bad, LOL! Kidding, of course, he adores the kid. Don't we all.