Update to Palm Wax Problem....

Soja

Here is the latest, I re-melted and poured hotter. I put the mold into a styrafoam cooler before I poured and covered it for a whole day! The feather effect is similar to the other one. Feather on the bottom and the very top.

I've allready poured another test. I wrapped the same mold in foam insulation, heat gunned it and poured hotter, about 220.

If wrapping doesn't cure it, I am done with ideas. Wrapping is the last idea you people gave me. Is it the tin mold? Cause I poured one in an Aluminum mold, round, and just left it. I did wrap it and it turned out great.

Ideas please...:undecided

Soja

post-1543-139458396498_thumb.jpg

Last weekend I made a palm candle in a polycarbonate mold. The patterning turned out really great. However, not sure if it's 'cuz the mold is plastic or because the sides of the hexagon are so narrow (the diameter, from edge to edge, of the mold is 2" wide). I'll try to post a pix tonight for you.

edited to say .... oops, my high resolution is to large to reduce for web. Lol. I'll have to reshoot at a lower res. Might be tomorrow or next week.

Hmmm, I poured some today and they came out really lovely with feathering all around. Are you sure that your mold isn't a little cold or sitting somewhere on the cool side? I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but that's the only thing I can think of.

First of all that candle is a beauty! Nothing wrong with it at all, just not what you want. I do think the aluminum molds are much better for obtaining the full pattern for palm. I can't remember if you have mentioned where you get your palm from but if you have the crystalizing and the feathering then try mixing them. Here's a link to some that I posted on the old board. By mixing, it makes the entire candle have a pattern and different ratios create different effects.

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=gallery;action=display;num=11089534 55;start=0

I know it's frustrating when you have a vision in your head and your candle doesn't match it but the ones you have posted are beautiful and anyone would think so.

I like the way it looks and the silver color is beautiful but I know what you mean......when I was doing palm candles.....they came out different all of the time...never could figure it out....I don't make them anymore. And Shelia....those candles are something else....hmmmmm....might just have to order some palm wax again.....Donita

Soja, have you tried pouring cooler - like 150-160? I get very consistant crystals at that temp in a 3" aluminum pillar mold (and my other molds too) and I don't wrap or preheat the mold or anything. My kitchen air temp is usually arount 75-80 when I am pouring.

Update:

This pic is the latest.

I get the silver by using diluted black dye. The feathering makes it look silver.

I re-poured the Dusty Pink hotter and wrapped the mold in insulation. Did not matter. It seems that the mold/wax combo just generates this kind of pattern. This is further confirmed by the small round dusty pink. I wrapped/poured just like the big pillar and the pattern came out completely different. The layered is just a color combo my Wife wanted to see. It's very light magenta, which is translucent and powdery green thats opaque. Thats in 'regular' wax.

SheilaW... Very beautiful examples. Please let me know more about the mixing combo's.

Stella1952... No, I have not tried cooler. That will be next.

LOVE these learning discussions! :)

Soja

post-1543-139458396565_thumb.jpg

ALLRIGHT....

Latest update to the update to the update...:D

This is a pic of one I just poured. 165 degrees! No pre heating the mold! In a 68.6 degree basement!

The only difference is the top didn't do much feathering.

Mei-Mei, SheilaW, I'm now sure it's the shape/material of the mold.

Stella1952, 165 degrees. I poured the others at 210/220

What Do Ya Think Folks??????

Soja

post-1543-139458396582_thumb.jpg

You're right, it must be the mold. You're making those for your daughter's wedding, right? Is she just absolutely set on having that mold shape? Maybe you could do a bunch of 2 inch pillars or something like that.

p.s. I really like that color.:grin2:

This is a difficult issue to resolve because palm wax seems to differ greatly from supplier to supplier; fragrance oils differ; the amount of additives (palm stearic, UV stabilizer, etc.); the melting temps, pour temps, air temps, etc. differ; and the mold composition differs. All these factors seem to have a strong impact on how the crystals form, the pattern(s) they make; the uniformity of the patterns, etc. The variety of effects possible are what interest me, but the complexity of influencing factors makes it hard to pin down EXACTLY how it's gonna behave each time! I love the surprises it shows me and honestly, have NEVER been ashamed of any of the candles we've poured with palm... but sometimes, I don't want a surprise, I want to be able to replicate the effect in a project.

Sigh. Back to Da Laboratory...

catchem.gif