Need help

Tara

I was asked today to do a demo with my son's class to show them how to make candles. These are 10 year olds btw. His teacher would like to have some sort of hands on and to be able to take something home Any ideas? Please:grin2:

When my son was in 3rd grade, we made pinecone firestarters for the class to take home. Also, when my daughter was in the same grade, we made tealights as part of a Valentine's Day gift. I had the tealight cups pre-wicked and the kids poured the wax using dixie cups. Hope that gives you some ideas. :)

Well it would appear that you would need a candle that would set up pretty quick. or relatively quick. Hard to do in a one day deal. Maybe you could have a two-day demonstration using votives or some other small molded candle. On day 1, melt, add color and FO, pour, and wick. You could use metal votive cups or waxed paper cups. THEN set them aside to cool till the next day when you come over to make sure they come out of the molds OK or peel away the paper cup to reveal the finished candle! That way you have control and they don't take home something unsafe. If you wanted to, you could provide them with a little glass votive cup to burn the candle in, You could get them for about 50 cents apiece at Michaels or elsewhere.

HTH! geek

When my son was in 3rd grade, we made pinecone firestarters for the class to take home. Also, when my daughter was in the same grade, we made tealights as part of a Valentine's Day gift. I had the tealight cups pre-wicked and the kids poured the wax using dixie cups. Hope that gives you some ideas. :)

Good idea. Did you just do one scent one color or did you do different ones? There are like 25 kids.

geekrunner-- I like the dixie cup votive idea too but it does have to be a one day project. I am only off on Fridays which is when I would be doing this. They would have to wait until the following Friday to unmold.

We did chunk votives at a grand opening for a health food store where each person picked their chunks and then did the overpour. You could do those with dixie cups, they have a little less drying time because of less melted wax. We used a water bath too to get them to set up fast.

I once did a birthday party w/ a bunch of 10 year olds. I took my presto, oodles chunks in rainbow colors & shapes and 4 fragrances for them too choose from. Used 1lb size metal molds in several shapes. I handled the hot wax and FO blending. Demonstrated and checked wicking up and sealing the molds, gave a little guidance about chunk loading. Then I helped each of them do their overpour. It went over big. I am a legend, LOL.

The teacher isn't wanting the kids to participate is she?? If so, then one of you would have to make up a paper for the parents to sign.

My friend has the opportunity to do this for her daughters class and the teacher wanted the children to participate, I strongly urged her not to do that. The teacher also wants her to use baby food jars.

I told her to pick 3 or 4 fragrances, let them pick the color, and let them name the candle. It's for Mothers Day and she was going to pick like florals, but I suggested she use fun smelling candle FOs, bubble gum, banana, coca cola, etc.... Something children would definitly pick out themselves, for their parent.

Mindy :grin2:

What about using colored granulated wax? Just wick a bunch of little jars and the can do "sand art" with it...you wont be able to fragrance it but they could do all sorts of patterns with the wax and cool layers. I did that with the disabled people I work with they loved it!

So what about pouring tarts and say letting the kids use cookie cutters to cut them out on cookie sheets?

And really you could make a votive in a few hours or so, that is pouring cooler than normal into say dixie cups would work. Just tell them to take it home after the last pour has set up and tell them when they can unmold it.

Guest EMercier

I would go for th tealights. They set up pretty quickly and can take home the same day. Also, if you want them to wick it you can use the wick stickers or pre-wick them.

I've done this with kids before. What I did was made multi-coloured chunks of unscented wax, and each kid got a votive mold (or you could use dixie cups) I used wick pins, then had them fill their molds with the wax chunks and just overpoured with white scented wax (everyone got the same scent). It's worked well for me!

Lots of cool ideas. I spoke with my son's teacher again. They are trying to relate this to Florida history somehow so now I have to think of something that would be related to that:tongue2: I still like the dixie votive cup idea may have to just use the "right" colors and scent to reflect some florida history somehow. I made some votives in the dixie cups this weekend to test What do you burn those in? I tried one of those flowerpot holders but it's too small. Thanks again for all the cool ideas

I think maybe using an indian scent would work, I would make the dixie cup votives with an indian scent and colors(may take a little internet research to find info about Florida indian tribes) That would take care of the Florida theme and a little history while you are at it.

You could use something like sage, sweetgrass etc

I think maybe using an indian scent would work, I would make the dixie cup votives with an indian scent and colors(may take a little internet research to find info about Florida indian tribes) That would take care of the Florida theme and a little history while you are at it.

You could use something like sage, sweetgrass etc

That exactly what I was thinking today. I know they have been studying the

Timucuan Indians so this would tie into that. Can anybody recommend what type of holder to burn these types of votives in? I would want to test them first.

Neon granulated wax! Like the sand scapes you see, only made with wax. You can get bright colors and layers them in a flower pot votive container with a small votive size wick. I did this a few years ago at the fleamarket and put a sign out that just said "make your own candle" with a few bright colored samples for them to look get ideas from. The kids really loved making them and it gave the grownups time to sniff my other candles. Bruce