Color Frustration

OK... If I have to change colors for every customer again I will die:angry2:

I have a few fragrances that my customers buy all of the time. I hear complaints about the colors that they are not dark enough, then too dark, then not enough depth. I cannot get a Purple/Plum good enough for Peaks Mandarin Plum. Also same problem with Black Cherry. I use color chips and now experimenting with liquid dyes. What should I do?

Where can i get a color chart to mix liquid dyes very well?

Thanks for putting up with the venting

Well, I guess it's both. When I think I have the color right, one customer likes it and the other doesn't. So I change it to what the other customer wants. I get happy with it, then it's not good enough for the other.

I can't make myself happy with the color I'm producing becuase others don't like it.

I wish I could just set my standard colors. I just have not gotten there yet on a few.

I'm spending more money than I'm making on experimentation.

You will NEVER make them all happy. Make it one color and one color only. A color that pleases you. The customers that like it will buy it. If they don't, oh well. You will drive yourself nuts and fail miserably if you attempt to please absolutely everyone.

You will NEVER make them all happy. Make it one color and one color only. A color that pleases you. The customers that like it will buy it. If they don't, oh well. You will drive yourself nuts and fail miserably if you attempt to please absolutely everyone.

I ditto that....When I test them, I get the color I want and I write down what I used to get the color for that particular candle. If they don't like it, tough. :grin2:

Ditto! Once I find a color I like that I think matches the fragrance, that's the color I go with. I write down the formula in my notebook and that's what I use. I never custom color candles for customers ... if they don't like it, oh, well!

You may already be doing this, but to get a deep shade of purple or a deep shade of red -- or almost any color, for that matter! -- a drop or two of black dye really deepens the color. I do that for my black cherry jar candles, and the wax blend I use is super opaque. So I do quite a bit of red, then a titch of black.

I use mostly Peak's liquid dyes, but the same trick works with dye blocks, etc. Don't know if that is part of your problem with coloring it, but just thought I'd mention. :)

Edited to add: When I was starting out, I got a simple artist's color wheel. That shows how to get certain colors -- by adding yellow, or adding red, etc. It was really helpful! Then once I'd finally get that perfect shade of peanut butter golden brown, or black cherry red, I'd write down the formula like the others mentioned. I keep a 3x5 index card for each kind of candle I make. It includes the fo blend, supplier, wick size, color combination, etc. and also my test-burn notes, such as how long it took to get a FMP, etc.

HTH!

You may already be doing this, but to get a deep shade of purple or a deep shade of red -- or almost any color, for that matter! -- a drop or two of black dye really deepens the color. I do that for my black cherry jar candles, and the wax blend I use is super opaque. So I do quite a bit of red, then a titch of black.

I use mostly Peak's liquid dyes, but the same trick works with dye blocks, etc. Don't know if that is part of your problem with coloring it, but just thought I'd mention. :)

Edited to add: When I was starting out, I got a simple artist's color wheel. That shows how to get certain colors -- by adding yellow, or adding red, etc. It was really helpful! Then once I'd finally get that perfect shade of peanut butter golden brown, or black cherry red, I'd write down the formula like the others mentioned. I keep a 3x5 index card for each kind of candle I make. It includes the fo blend, supplier, wick size, color combination, etc. and also my test-burn notes, such as how long it took to get a FMP, etc.

HTH!

Thank you!! Everyone. I thought I was going to go nuts. I know you can't please everyone all of the time, but I try. I want my customers to come back, but I guess if it is that hard forget it.

I do use black to darken colors. Just never seems to be darks enough.

I ordered liquid dye from CandleScience. Purple and black is what I used for Mandarin Plum.

Could you please tell me your formula for Black Cherry?

Thanks SOO Much:D

For every 10 drops of red, I use 1 drop Peak black. That works for a pound of somewhat opaque wax. HTH!

Edited to add: Be careful when adding huge amounts of dye -- can clog your wick. Test burn those babies all the way down to see how they will do. LOL

I just have to echo that you should definitely stick with one color - the one you want. You cannot please everyone. I use liquid dyes from Lonestar and add about 8 drops red 2 drops violet and a tiny toothpick tip of black to get a really dark Black cherry color.

I just have to echo that you should definitely stick with one color - the one you want. You cannot please everyone. I use liquid dyes from Lonestar and add about 8 drops red 2 drops violet and a tiny toothpick tip of black to get a really dark Black cherry color.

Hi, Is that per 1 pound? What does the violet do?

Now see I'd be going for a reddish purple lol, but actually maybe a drop or two of blue into that purple will help cheer it up. I'm not the fond one of using black all the time to darken things. Then again, I like playing around with colors.

Now see I'd be going for a reddish purple lol, but actually maybe a drop or two of blue into that purple will help cheer it up. I'm not the fond one of using black all the time to darken things. Then again, I like playing around with colors.

I am definitly going for dark reddish black. Still don't understand what the blue is for? Maybe beautilful color. I just don't know? I need exact formula with the blue.

Thanks

Hi, Is that per 1 pound? What does the violet do?

I don't have my notes with me, but I think that was for 1.5 lbs (but again, I could be wrong. I'll check later). The violet deepens the red, but isn't enough to turn it purple, kwim. You really just have to play around mixing colors. I'm good at mixing up burgandy's, reds, purples and blues, but horrible at making anything orange/peach, etc . . . Just takes practice, I guess.

Ditto! Once I find a color I like that I think matches the fragrance, that's the color I go with. I write down the formula in my notebook and that's what I use. I never custom color candles for customers ... if they don't like it, oh, well!

YUP~ I NEVER allow a customer to control the colors I make my candles. If they can do that, next they'll be wanting a green lavender or an orange aplle pie!:angry2:

My colors are jewel tones and when customers ask for special colrs, I tell them there's one color and that's it. If they want something else, I'll send them to another chandler who is just starting out. Then they won't get the great throw but if color is that important then they can go someplace else!

NEVER let a customer control you and your candles! You control them and if they whine, oh well!:lipsrseal