Layering Palm Wax

I don't think it is really a good idea. By the time your first layer cools enough to pour the second layer, the second one will most likely run down the sides of your first layer, and so on. Also, you have to pour it so hot, that you would prolly not get distinct layers anyway, they would run together. Maybe someone else had tried it and had better luck with it and will chime in for ya. :D

I layer them alot. I love that you get a very different looks in each candle. One layer will have the crystal/feather look and the next layer may be plain. Sometimes they kinda look like the rustic paraffin candles. I'll try to post some in the gallery tonight for you to see what I'm talking about.

At what point do you pour the second layer. Like the others said, palm cools pretty fast and pulls away from the sides. So it would be easy to have the second pour run down the sides.

Soja, I posted some pics in the gallery.

Jeana, it can get tricky pouring layers. I watch it like a hawk and once the top starts forming a shell but before the sides start pulling away is when I pour the next layer. Sometimes I wrap a towel around the mold and take one of those little hand held fans and aim it at the top so I have a bit more control. I have had the wax pour down between the candle and the mold and I don't care for the way that looks to much. Doing the tilted ones makes it more difficult also but again I don't care for the way the straight layers look.

I've been using this wax for a pretty long time now and sometimes I get bored with just the straight pour so I experiment with different things. You can mix it with a bit of pafaffin and get a starburst effect of crystals on a smooth paraffin surface which I think is pretty cool and I have placed the bottom half of the mold in tepid water for a few minutes and it looks like it's been dipped in glitter. I try a lot of different things. This is just a hobby for me not a business ( I only sell when someone calls me and most of my sales are gift baskets) If you're interested I'll try to dig up some of my experiments and post pics.

I just did a bunch of layered palm pillars (Mom loves 'em LOL!) I've found that I have to babysit them and it's just a matter of a little experience to get the timing right. Also, I've found using my heatgun on the sides of the mold before it pulls away helps to keep the next layer from seeping between the mold & 1st layer. Like SheilaW said, it's really neat how some layers can be crystallized & others are plain. I was just looking at one the other day thinking about what a cool "rustic-like" pillar it was!

When I get a chance I'll post some pics in the gallery.

We pour lots of layered palm wax candles - in fact, I think they make the KEWELLEST layered candles because of the incredible crystallizing properties of the palm wax. There is a happy medium to arrive at separate layers but that still "stick" together. For the layered candles, we do not pour at very high temps - just above slush gives the most control and least babysitting time. I posted some pics in the Gallery of them... sorry, I haven't taken the time to take new pics - we are trying to get a lot of candles ready for spring fests, etc. :D