I can't beleive the NERVE of some people!!!

hem06

Someone posted the link to the auction on "The Whisk" and I saw it there.

Scroll down to just above the Paypal logo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultra-Clear-Soap-Base-2-Pounds_W0QQitemZ8209610189QQcategoryZ28118QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Did you SEE THAT?!?!?!!?

"This is not a lye by-product made in someones kitchen. This is lab formulated."

!#(*&$(*&$()($)(**%*%&*&*&$**(&()*&!#!!!!!!!!!

Where does she think Glycerin comes from?!?!

It doesn't say it isn't made with lye, it says:

This is not a lye by-product made in someones kitchen. This is lab formulated.

1. She is telling the truth. It isn't a lye product that was made in someone's kitchen.

2. This soap was fomulated in a lab.

It is true, however, it is very misleading. She is playing on the people's fears of lye to sell her product. Personally, I think it is unethical. I bet it's legal though.

Funny how that person is trying to make their soap sound super healthy when at least two the of ingredients are suspected to cause cancer. (propylene glycol and sodium laureth sulfate) Many professional brands of shampoo have release shampoos that do not contain these ingredients lately. I don't know about the rest of this person's ingredients, but those two would be enough to not buy their product for me.

Check this place out to see how bad some of their ingredients are - http://www.zellersnaturalhealth.com/danger.html

That is so funny Carrie. I was going to say the same thing.

e

It doesn't say it isn't made with lye, it says:

1. She is telling the truth. It isn't a lye product that was made in someone's kitchen.

2. This soap was fomulated in a lab.

It is true, however, it is very misleading. She is playing on the people's fears of lye to sell her product. Personally, I think it is unethical. I bet it's legal though.

Why couldn't this be misleading? Since it had to have lye in the first place to make the soap? Maybe SHE didn't personally put lye in it, but it was still used during the process to make it. IMO, she is insinuating that lye was not used to make this soap base and I think that is just plain wrong. Unless there is something about the m&p bases I don't understand since I don't use them. Now, lye isn't or shouldn't be present in the finished product, so it is my understanding that you don't have to list lye because of that.

I didn't know that we didn't have to add lye to our ingredients list. I have seen handmade soaps in the health food stores before that don't list lye, I wondered why, and thought that was misleading. Are you sure we don't have to list it?

Everything I have read and my understanding of it says you don't have to list lye since, technically, it is no longer present in the final product. Or at least it better not be present in your final product.:eek: If it is, you gots you some problems. :eek:

actually, you dont have to list any ingredients. Soap is not a cosmetic. you only have to list your ingredients if you make claims such as "moisturizing".

That is also my understanding but I still list them so that if anyone has real sensitive skin, they can see what's in my soap.

Looks like someone's creative way of selling melt and pour soap. And people who make soap from scratch advertise "Not made in a lab! Simpler ingredients that you can pronounce!" :)

I feel for you Canadians, your labeling laws are getting a lot stricter.

Looks like someone's creative way of selling melt and pour soap. And people who make soap from scratch advertise "Not made in a lab! Simpler ingredients that you can pronounce!" :)

I feel for you Canadians, your labeling laws are getting a lot stricter.

Robin, how can they make this claim, "This is not a lye by-product made in someones kitchen. This is lab formulated" since the base had to have lye in it in the first place? Or does this fall along the lines that "our" handmade soap doesn't have to have lye listed since its no longer present? (Yes, I know that we don't have to list our soap ingredients unless we make certain claims but like I said, I do anyway - except I don't list lye).

BTW, I LOVE your response for those that make soap from scratch. :)

I agree... truly misleading. Maybe not a lye (lol) at all but if anyone else goes there to buy something from them (that is know as soap smart as those who make it) and then tries to say it's not a lye-by product while trying to sell it. I'm sure sooner or later someone more knowledgable is going to straighten them out. lol I know if I saw them at a craft fair or something I would defanitely have to point out that lye is what makes the ingredients turn into soap, and how in the world did they manage to do all this without any lye during any of the process... oh I'd love to hear that response.. uhh uhh well uhh.... hmmmmm . lol