Essential oil help

elle110

Ok, here is the situation. I go to Reiki and my Reiki therapist carries herbs, all-natural cleaning products etc. she is now interested in purchasing wholesale my soaps, lotion bars etc (only the essential oil ones that I carry). In addition, she would like to purchase essential oils from me that she will suggest to her clients for certain ailments they may be suffering. She is very trained in the mind/body experience as it relates to our everyday living and wished to provide her clients with products that will enhance their daily life. My ??? is, if I sell her the essential oils neat in 1 oz bottles then most of them will have to be later diluted for personal use, she is concerned about having clients have to mix their own essential oils, only bcz she knows most people stop doing things the more steps there are. She is possibly interested in purchasing them already mixed with the carrier oil in the 1-2 oz bottles that I would be pre-packaging, labeling etc. Whether she purchases them neat or diluted they will be labeled as required with any warnings etc. So my ??? is, does anyone wholesale essential oils and if so are you selling them neat or already in a carrier oil. I just have a weird feeling selling them already diluted, although there will be no misrepresentation about it, I just happen to like my EO pure and work with it myself but I am in a different position than most clients who are on the go or might have a headache and not want to have to worry about mixing their oils to get relief.

What do you guys think? What would you want if you were buying them and just a common person off the street w/no knowledge etc?

Keep in mind, every client will get info on how to use and dilute the oils if sold neat.

Sorry so long, but I really need input on this b4 I move forward.

Elle

Well being as person who hasn't touched a real eo yet, I'd say you take the extra steps. I think people would become lax or just not bother with properly diluting and such, would they even bother with a scale or any measuring? Much easier to be safe and do it for them, then to depend on strangers. BTW, what is Reiki? I've heard that word several times and have no clue.

Sami

Well being as person who hasn't touched a real eo yet, I'd say you take the extra steps. I think people would become lax or just not bother with properly diluting and such, would they even bother with a scale or any measuring? Much easier to be safe and do it for them, then to depend on strangers. BTW, what is Reiki? I've heard that word several times and have no clue.

Sami

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&hs=AlN&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:Reiki

The link above is just websters definition, it is a form of hands on healing It is really hard to explain but it has changed mine and a ton of other peoples life I know. I would suggest anyone who has any problems, spiritually, emotionally, or physically to try it, but I also suggest people really research it, also do research on the Reiki Master you are going to use, not everyone is trained and certified. There are a lot of people walking around saying they are trained in Reiki and have no idea what they are doing, plus it is good to look into a persons "belief" system, as that is not something you are uncomfortable with.

HTH

Elle

I have bought eo's from a local herbal shop and health food store and they are just straight eo's. I think the assumption is that if you are buying them then you are already aware of the possible dangers. If the Reiki therapist wants them diluted with a carrier oil then that's what you should do. She probably knows that her clients would prefer to not have to mix their own.

Well, coming from someone who has NO experience at all with EO's, if I was looking to purchase, and read the label that they were straight and I had to mix it myself, I would have to pass it up. For one, I am too busy, and another, to me it would be a hassle to mix it myself. But that's just me.

I would dilute them too. Only knowing a little about EO's, they can be dangerous. By you diluting them w/ COs it will cut down on the danger and possible lawsuits that could come out of it. Its terrible the world we live in, but everything I present to the public I try to make sure is safe from a lawsuit :undecided and healthy/safe in an uneducated consumer's hands. Anyway today's society as a whole (me included w/ certain things) wants things FAST and READY to use once opened. HTH a little :) Sounds like a GREAT opportunity !!

I myself, would want it diluted, ready to use. Like others said, most people are in a hurry these days, they just want to grab and go.

Also, I think it would just be a safer way to do things. Lord only knows what people will do out there with a bottle of straight EO, not having a clue as to the possible dangers. A lot of people would do some research, but there are a lot that won't.

I agree with everyone on the pre-mixing but if you look anywhere they are selling pure EO even B&BW sells pure EO, they sell the carrier oil and a mixing jar.

If I ever sold mine pure I would definitely include info on how to mix with the carrier oil etc. also, I will be doing a presentation every other month for her clients on essential oils, their benefits, how they are used, what ones can be used neat, and what ones need to be mixed w/a CO first, their place in the household etc. I am working with a certified aromatherapist on what oils to carry for what symptoms.

I see what your saying! If you are providing everything in a "package" w/ instructions then go for it. I understand that you want to give these clients something straight and pure, plus these are clients that are taking the time to better themselves so mixing 2 ingredients together won't be that strenous. Also by not pre-mixing you will extend the life of the product. I think that's great that your going to do presentations. Maybe it'll come down to premixing a handful for certain clients that just don't or can't do it themselves?? :confused:

Please make sure to study and read all you can on EO's there are many sites with great info, some can be very dangerous to people with certain conditions and pregnant women.

Yes, all EO's will have warnings listed as, for example: not safe for pregnant women, or people with high blood pressure etc

At this point, I am going to be working with the 10 EOs that I am most knowledgeable in, I have a EO PDR and have been working with a certified aromatherapist on the benefits and dangers of EO.

In addition, I will be giving the client several classes on EOs, she is already well established in this area of study but am going to cover my butt all around.

I love essential oils but if used incorrectly they can cause adverse reactions.

Just as a sort of funny side note, when I was pregnant I knew one of the many essential oils to stay away from was peppermint because it can stimulate labor, well into about the 8th mos my DH was making the Sea Breeze soap which has spearmint, peppermint and eucalyptus, I was practically beating the shop door down so I could get my hands on the Peppermint, I was so ready to have the baby. But, of course, I went and ate another chocolate bar instead LOL

Thanks everyone for your input so far

I am leaning toward just making them as requested by the client myself, with the exception of the Lavender and Tea Tee which I will package neat.

I agree, in packaging them up neat WITH the carrier oil and a mixing jar/bottle as a whole pkg. this way it is easier for the consumer to do it correctly. They have all ingredients right there, the instructions etc. and no worries. ;)

My mom and I went into a health store that sold lots of oils etc. and my mom was looking for a particular oi (which they didn't have0 but aran across and EO for headaches and was asking the lady about it (I know next to nothing about most EO's only a handful that I have here) and when the lady told her she should cut it with a carrier oil, and was explaining percentages and stuff, my mom said, "oh that's too complicated for me!" and put the oil back.

So there is an example for ya. ;)

I think people would appreciate having the whole pkg. deal more so, and would be more apt to buy it that way then to have to worry about buying a carrier oil and look for another container to put the diluted mix in. You've done the work for them.

Have you spoken with your insurance agent about this?

My insurance agent said there would be problems if I gave "instructions" or taught how to "use" eo's (or other products), or sold products that are supposed to "heal." The problem being my insurance would be dropped, or would skyrocket so that I couldn't possibly afford it.

Apparently, I could sell eo's and let people figure out how to use them on their own, but I could not offer advice as it would subject me to lawsuits if any harm came to the person who sought it.

Maybe this doesn't apply in your case, since you would be selling them to a certified Reiki, but I thought it might be something you would want to consider. If nothing else, find out what kind of insurance the Reiki has.

I think as long as SHE (Michelle) is not stating on the labels that the oil is for "healing" or whatever, she should be ok. I think she can even say something like, "is known for helping with "this or that" or "may help with......" something like that and it would be ok.

Otherwise she can put nothing referencing "healing/helping" and just let the Reiki recommend the oils that they should use/buy. ;)