Desperate for HELP with wick choices

I have been making candles FOREVER…it seems. Seriously though I have been making candles for over two years and I only have 4 successful candles that I sell…pretty amazing.

I started out with a paraffin based wax but when I realized how much soot comes off of those I just had to change to soy.

If anyone can offer any wicking suggestions I would be SO GRATEFUL.

Here are the specifics:

I use a 14oz Elevation Jar (although it seems to hold more than 14oz. ….I think I measured it and it is more like 18oz. It has a 3” opening and the widest part of the jar is almost 4”.

I use 428grams of Blue Grass Soy

I use 30 grams of the Fragrance

I have almost every known to man wick in my stash.

Currently I am testing with LX

I am going to list all the fragrances that I want to use and know that have good throw. I will be putting them into the 14oz elevation. If anyone can make a suggestion for the wick type and size I would be very grateful. I am double wicking the jar.

Scents For Soy - Great scents in soy!

Holiday Bash

Orange Chiffon

Lilac

Rose Petals

Juniper Breeze

Raspberry Guava

Carmel Pecan Pie

Baked Apples

Water Blossom Ivy

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Fall Leaves

Blue Candle Supply (Company that sells Blue Grass Soy Wax)

Hot Fudge Brownie

Cucumber Melon

Coconut Mango

Lavender in Bloom

Cranberry Punch

Sugar Plum

Bittercreek Candle Supply

Blueberry Muffins

Hot Apple Pie

Grandma’s Kitchen

Bittercreek South Candle Supply

Cinnamon Bun Type

Angle Type

Cranberry Crumble

I have tested all of these with several wick types the last being two LX20 and LX21. I find that they either smoke or they burn fine until they get about 2/3 to ¾ down and then they smoke and/or throw off black soot into the wax and discolor it.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Lola

I think you'll find that the elevation jar can be a hard jar to wick. I gave up on it, tried everything, just always had problems with that jar. I'd find a scent here and there that would work, but if I can't use all my oils in the jar, it's no good for me. I had soot on the jars, dancing flames, hang up, wicks that would fizzle out, puffs of smoke, you name it....I encountered it with that jar, didn't matter what wick I used. I find out I am not alone, there are many others out there with the same problems.

I too gave up on jars that don't measure the same from top to bottom. I use Metro Jars from the Jar Store and wick-it wicks and for the first time in a year........no soot. I have used many waxes and wicks and this is where I am at now.

Dixie

gerrie,

Thanks... the problems you described are exactly the problems I am having!!! What jar do you use for this size (14-18oz) candle?

Dixie,

I looked at the metro jar...heaven...a straight side!

Can you recommend with wick type and size for any of the fragrances I have mentioned using the metro jar?

Thanks,

Lola

Does anyone now of a west coast supplier that offers the metro jar or something of similar size with a straigh side? I tried to order from the Jar store in CT, but the shipping was going to be over 40.00 on only one case of 36 jars...yiks!

Thanks,

Lola

http://www.fancycandlejars.com/new1/metro.html

The shipping from fancy isn't cheap either. I'm in WA and he gave me a quote of 30.00, said a case of 36 weighs 40 lbs. I'd love to find a supplier closer, that doesn't have a huge minimum.

I got the 8 and 12 oz metro and had no problems wicking the 8, but the 12 oz needs a lot more testing, getting a lot of soot on it. It's only 3" diameter, but I'm having problems wicking it.

I'm using 70/30 soy/paraffin blend. I've just switched from straight paraffin to this blend, so it's a new animal for me.

Hope to test more this weekend, been hard to find the time lately :angry2:

• 2 months later...

Gerrie, I use an LX 28 in straight soy with the twelve oz. Metro.........not sure about the blends though. Just checked the shipping to Washington and it is slightly less at $24.00. The cases do weigh about 40 lbs. each with packaging. Less packaging results in more broken so it's a small trade-off.

For the elevation jar with soy you can use one CDN 22 or to doublewick I am as I type, testing two ECHO 8 with a reasonable melt pool after 3 1/2 hours. Did not use scent so I don't know how it throws but I will probably re-test early next week.

Ron