C3 Soy Wax

Hi all! I've been wondering about that also, since Northstar And C-3 Nature wax say 6%, EL container soy, Millenium, say 6-7%, while Bluegrass, Snowtop, and Millcreek all say to 9%. Will the 6% waxes throw at this level and if you add more, do they bleed? Carrie and Cheryl, I take it you are referring to the C-3 for the 9% FO? Just wondering as a few of the above have poured better than my Snowtop but felt that the 6% would not have a good enough throw. Still trying to decide if I should order different wax or just keep trying to wick the present. Thanks for all the help and encouragement. Beth

Hey lightning bug!! I am also just trying out the C-3. I used 1.375 percent and I have no seeping. The cold smell is awsome so far. Hope the hot throw is just as good. I poured it at 170 and it set up well with no sink holes.... I will keep you all posted... I am using a CD wick to start.

I am hoping this is a more predeictable wax to use.. I use EZ soy now and have had to retest and rewick this wax several times. I am losing to much time and money and getting so frustrated!!

not sure what exp means. but for the FO, I have always used 1oz per lb and even went up to 1.5oz per lb with this wax. I have always used RRDs.

exp = experience, sorry.....

What size RRD wick do you use and do you add any additives? Does the wick burn properly?

Sorry for so many questions, I plan on testing this myself but I want some other opinions as well.

I have used C-3 quite a bit and only use ECO wicks. I like that they are self trimming and burn hot enough to do a good job without alot of mushrooming. i did find that using the recomended sizes did not work. Ones rated for 3.5 in. jars would burn the house down. So for a 3.5 inch jar I use one rated for a 2.5-2.75 inch jar and it burns just right. I always go a couple sizes down.

Hi,

For those of you using C3 - how is your wetspot and frost issues?

On the other thread there are reports of sinkholes and frost in another thread a few posts down at http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848 - in that case I might as well keep trying to make CBA work better - there are no frost or wetspot issues with it (for me at least) - even when heatgunning it.

TIA

I'm also determined to make the CBAdv. work - and haven't made any candles in a little more than 3 weeks. Didn't have candle withdrawal til today, since we have been inundated with company and the humidity can't get any worse. Am on my last 15# of the old ADV - and have been sort of agonizing over ordering 100# of the new improved version and will then just bite down on the bullet and MAKE IT WORK!!! My central AC is on so hi that my DH has a fleece vest on....am forcing in house humidity down to 50%----will test that humidity percentage again to see if I can get the glossy tops.

I will not give up on the ADV - will not-will not!! Well, that's my mantra today anyway. Henry, did you say the new ADV. flakes feel oily?

Henry,

I only made one candle so far. It did have a wet spot, but no frosting and no sink hole. Cold and hot throw is good..

I can't wait to try out more scents with this wax.

I know there was threads regarding the S-1 wax which I think is the same as Naturewax C-1 check out this link...http://www.earlyamericancandlesupplies.com/waxpage1.asp

I tried out the S-1 about a year ago and did not care for it. There wasn't any cold throw and a very light hot throw.

The C-3 seems to be much better....So far.

Need to do a lot more testing!!!

itsjustme - yes, the new flakes are oily - the old was more dry. I'm at the point where I'm ready to order some more of the old to compare again to satisfy my curiosity. What was left of my old I made into containers but saved a bit for comparison because I knew I'd get the new version as soon as it came out. I did not have the repour issues with the old version and unfortunately did not have enough left to continue testing side-by-side with the new after the temp/humidity stayed really bad here. I still have candles made from the old version - no frost after all this time - but some wet spots. This new version doesn't wet spot at all for me even in thicker glass containers, which is where I'd see it right away - usually after one day (don't ask me why). The cold throw is definitely better IMO. I still can't decide about hot throw because our air conditioners run all the time. I do stick them in a back room but our place is so small its still hard to tell (and our bathroom is so small its not really a good test!). Plus, and I know its apples and oranges, but now everything seems weak to me (hot and cold) going against the IGI waxes I've been playing around with.

islandgirl - I don't think C-1 and S-1 are the same. I actually used to get my S-1 (and their palm waxes) at the place you mentioned so I'm sure I'll try the C waxes since they carry them. They are big Astorlite distributor, but when Astorlite's S-1 soy started being hard to obtain, they got in Cargill waxes instead. I think that is what they mean by "formerly". Unless Cargill bought the S1 formula from Astorlite? I have no idea. I do remember S-1 frosting a bit on the edges after it was burned and set back up - but very little. The surface was flat however. I too remember a less strong throw - but at that time I was happy just to be able to pour hot.

There are so many positives to the new CBA (zero frost, zero wet spots, hot pour) that I too think I am going to stick with it for now at least for 100% soy containers even if it means a heat gun or a slight repour.

What is the CBA soy wax?

I have been testing the EcoSoya Advanced and can NOT get a good hot throw to save my life! I have tried different FO suppliers and % in the wax. I get BAD seeping at anything over about 5% (yup - I do live in Florida and notice this when the candle gets warm).

I am looking for a "warm pour" Soy wax with no frosting and Good Throw.:P

• 2 months later...

Henryk,

I saw your post regarding the S-1. I emailed the Early American Candle Supply and this was their reply:

HONEYWELL BOUGHT THERE WAX FROM CARGILL AND NOW WE CARRY CARGILL AND THE SAME PRODUCT IS NOW CALLED C1.

SINCERELY,

JOHN

So for those of you that liked the Astorlite S-1 (myself included), I am glad to know this tidbit of information. :D

See ya,

Beverly

For those who say that the C-3 is greasier, it's not but the wax DOES look different although it behaves the same as the other C-3. What I think they did was chip it thinner and larger flakes and I also think it's much fresher, meaning that stores are bringing in more and the wax in the warehouse has dwindled. I work closely with good size buyer of C-3 and they always give me a heads up when something has changes because I'm one of their biggest buyer of this wax and they want to keep me happy! So anything that Cargils changes, I know about due to my supplier telling me.

As a matter of fact, they've pretty much discontinued sell most other waxes because of the cost of parrafin. The price kept rising and they just said to heck with it and now only carry Cargil waxes.

i do have seeping issues with this wax. i only use 1oz per lb and i almost always have some seeping. i add fo @180-185 stir for 2 minutes and pour between 160-170. i found that warming the oil a bit before i add it works well & that it doesn't seep as much. it also doesn't start seeping for 2-5 days after i pour it...weird i know. i do get alot of frosting if the jars are stored in cooler air, when its warm no frosting. i don't use any additives. i have tried adding palm stearic but it never did help the seeping issue so i stopped. i don't use any other additives and I use cotton wicks. i have the best luck with them :) i am getting sink holes to. its taken me about 7 months to go through this case because i am just discouraged with it. i only make soy for me because i can't get it to perform exactly the way i want it to. i burn the candles that have seeped in the past just fine but god knows i would sell one and poof..:mad:

i have posted in the past about the seeping w/c-3 and got alot of helpfull tips. you could probably check the old board to!

one time i used 12oz c-3 and 4 oz igi comfort blend and no wet spots, frosting or seeping. these set up terrific. i had very high hopes..lol i used my 2 best throwing fo's to test and unfortunately the hot throw stunk...:( so back to the drawing board!!

sorry this is so long ...lol