? for hurricane experts/Donita

pdevine

This hurricane was poured using IGI-5560 hurricane wax with no additives. I only placed it in a cold water bath for no more than 2 minutes and then let it stand at room temp to release. After it has set for a bit, I've got this snowflake/mottling something or another going on with it. It looks kinda cool in person, but I don't want it to look like this. Any suggestions as to what may be causing it? There is NO fragrance oil added to it either. HELP ME:cry2: ,,,,,,TIA Portia

post-139-139458393374_thumb.jpg

depending on the temperature of your cold water bath (which to wax even a mild 55-65 degrees can be cold but wouldn't feel cold to us)

2 minutes is more than enough time to cause cracking.

That would be my first thought is try warmer water in the water bath...I put a hurricane into water that is too cold occasionally and it will get hairline fractures almost instantaneously.

I think that's Candlewic 5560, not IGI. Not a hurricane expert, but am commenting because I once tried with this wax and the same thing happened.

I thought I got water in it or something. Now that I see it happening to you too, I'm thinking maybe this wax doesn't like to be a hurricane or, like a cat, isn't fond of taking a bath. Or did you get water in it too?

Unfortunately I never did solve the problem because it was so much easier to try a different wax. I would think you could vary the water temperature, try leaving it in until the shell is fully formed, and/or see if maybe some micro would suppress the mottling/cracking.

I KEEP TELLING EVERYONE THIS:...............One more time....here we go LOL.......USE 5055 from Candlewic....with 1/2 oz micro 180 pp of wax. Today I am doing balloon candles and I warmed my water bath to 80. What is happening to you happened to me before Bill Binder owner of Candlewic told me what to do. I have been doing all of my canes like this. I even chopped them up and mailed them to people. You are having cracking for probably more that one reason. If I don't use the 5055 and ....and I say it again....micro 180 1/2 oz pp I get cracks....or little bubbles that will form in a line and become a crack. Donita

No there definitely isn't water in it. These are almost like tiny, tiny air bubbles under the surface. They are not cracks, just kinda like snowflaking under the surface.

I thought on the first on maybe it was caused by not wiping out enough of the PAM that I sprayed in the mold. But, I made sure on the 2nd one that I wiped it out REALLY good.

I have used this same wax before, many times with a hurricane mold (this one I used a stainless steel bowl) and never had this happen. I am trying to use up the rest of this slab before purchasing a different type. I am totally puzzled. Thanks,,,,,Portia

I just took my camera over to the counter with the hurricane wax balloon luminaries that I made a few minutes ago. There are no cracks in them...no bubbles and they took 4 1/2 minutes to make each one. It is the 5055 and micro 180 1/2 oz pp that makes all the difference in the world. I am taking pictures for a tutorial of how to make these and will put this into a album probably tomorrow. If they quit making 5055 I would scream......and micro 180...hehehe...Donita:rolleyes2

post-248-139458393674_thumb.jpg

Check the temp of your water bath. Should be at least 70 degrees. 'Canes just don't like winter. I agree with Donita. She only had to tell me 10 or 20 times before I got the message and bought some CW 5055. Adding some micro 180 might help you use up this wax. Also I leave mine in the water bath 10 minutes. That is with the IGI 1260 and the CW 5055. Good luck.

My next purchase I will DEFINITELY invest in some CW 5055 and micro. That and adjust my waterbath temp.

I can't believe those water ballon cane's Donita, I tried those SOOOOOO many times and busted EVERYONE of them. I finally gave up. Thanks,,,,,,Portia