Need to vent about unprofessional consignment shop

I have been very frustrated with this new consignment shop I "signed up" for. I put signed up in parentheses because they don't seem to believe in contracts or written agreements. I was naturally hesitant to place my items in their store due to them wanting to conduct business on the proverbial handshake, but I saw other vendors that I knew personally who put their stuff in the same store. So I decided to take the risk.

Problem with this shop is they have no customers. This is largely due to them not having a sign on their building. Customers can't find the store, even when they are looking directly at the building.

After having my stuff in their shop for four months I decided that I am going to pull a lot of my candles out and just leave a small inventory. I can't afford to leave that much stuff in one place anymore that isn't making any sales. So, I go into the store today and of course it's closed. There's no "closed for the holidays" sign on the door and all the lights are off and it doesn't look like anyone's been in there today. I don't know their hours because they don't keep their store hours on the door, something that has always frustrated me.

I went back an hour later hoping the shop keeper just went out to lunch, but still closed. The owner has done this before where he will go to lunch but not bother to put a "be back in one hour" sign on the door. I'm pretty certain the store is closed for the day though.

I've sent an email but they've never answered their emails in the past, ever, so there's no reason for me to believe they will answer me now.

I am getting very tired with the lack of professionalism at this shop. If I had any reservations about pulling the bulk of my inventory from their store, I don't anymore.
  • Shocked 2

Hi @AudraT. Yes, I agree with the others, I'd get my products and be done with them. You shouldn't have to deal with a business that is unprofessional and unreliable, life's too short. In business, always, always get the deal in writing and also make sure it's a deal you are comfortable with. Best of luck.

• Like 2

I was in as many as 10 stores at one point.  I pulled my stuff from all but 2 that do really well.  I got tired of them constantly needing stock and driving around with inventory and checking on them all the time.  Just got old.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

I was in as many as 10 stores at one point.  I pulled my stuff from all but 2 that do really well.  I got tired of them constantly needing stock and driving around with inventory and checking on them all the time.  Just got old.

I can see where that could get old. It did get your name and product out there in front of people. Any way to track and see if buyers in those stores now purchase from you online?

• Like 1

Update: I got my candles out of the store. I got an email late last night saying they closed down the store for the next three months for the winter season but they will be in today so I can pick up my stuff. So, this works out because now I don't have to have an uncomfortable conversation about why I am removing all my products, my shelf, wall art, and even my Gorilla hooks out of the wall LOL.
I looked in my inbox and junk folder for an email explaining they are closing the store down, and nothing. When I arrived today there were other vendors there removing their stuff as well. I think they made a last minute decision to close down the store and hadn't told anyone.
They said they don't know if they will be reopening the store in three months or closing down permanently.
I do hope they can open up again as they invested a lot of money into building improvements, but they really need to fix some major issues or else they may never make it.

• Like 1