Poor hot throw on a coco 83, stearic and s and p 487 mix

So as the title implies, I am testing the burn properties and hot throw of a coco 83, stearic and S &P 487 mix candle in 16oz white frosted glass jars (~4.5" in diameter  and 3 inches tall with no bottle neck, just a wise open top). The ratios are 10% stearic, 25% S and P, 8% FO and 57% coco 83. FO added at 205 F, stirred for 30 to 45 seconds, and poured/cured overnight at 190 F in a hot (roughly 91 to 93 F garage) and humid  (58 to 80% humidity) environment. I am using hive and honey coco83 wax (contains beeswax as per the manufacturer) and letting the candles cure a week before burning. The hot throw is very sub par for a 16 oz candle. I tested 4 scents and the best throw by far was a CD 7 wicked candle with approx 2.3" diam melt pool during the first 4 hour burn which filled a room roughly 24' x 30 ft' relatively well (not overpowering but just right it seemed) with a slight air current from a ceiling vent. The same candle with a large, non whisper wood wick generated very little throw in a small bathroom (10' by 8'). I had one 3 wicked Cd 4 that performed poorly and one two wicked cd 4 that performed poor to moderate in smaller rooms. I Know the wood wick is just far too much and is burning too hot so I may move down to a small but I fell like I might just be at that challenging point of trying to do the delicate balancing act all new to intermediate candle makers experience.

Note: candles cured with a weird, almost powder like spongy consistency on the top. The wax wasn't soft per say but almost with a little bit of elasticity when pressed before actually deforming .

CDN wick series work well in the coco83:so 487 blends in my studio.  I don’t add additional stearic to the blend, since sp487 contains it already. Stearic is usually palm derived, so the extra chemical treatment on the CDN wick often improves the burn and hot throw. 

for a container that width I would be inclined to double wick cdn5 or cdn6. I’d place them fairly close together, with tabs touching, or possibly even overlapping a bit.

my gut tells me the stearic is throwing a wrench into the works. I could be wrong…

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah good to know about the stearic in 487! I definitely need to be more detailed in my research on these wax/wax additive compositions.  I figured I was adding maybe one to many solids. Any idea as as to the  weird, almost powder like spongy/elastic consistency on the top? saw this on one other small make candle in store and the cold throw was incredible

The powdery layer is likely excess stearic that cooled faster than the rest of the blend. 

CDN are different from CD. Same threads, just an additional chemical soak to make them withstand vegetable wax burns more effectively. 

sp487 is primarily stearic, castor and a smudge of beeswax. When used alone it looks like a “wet” palm wax candle. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KrisS said:

You said you added FO at 205.  How high did you heat the wax?  I don't have notes in front of me, but I'm thinking I had to go a little bit higher than that with the coco waxes.  225, maybe?  @TallTayl What was your experience?

The coco waxes I use I try to hit 200, especially if I am adding palm based additives. I do try to cool a little before adding fragrances. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The coco waxes I use I try to hit 200, especially if I am adding palm based additives. I do try to cool a little before adding fragrances. 

To clarify a bit: when heating candle wax blends, I aim for the temp of the highest ingredient to ensure it is all going to blend correctly and cool without any surprises. This usually minimizes graining and cavities in waxes that have a high stearic component.