Help with soy wax container candles

Hi there. I bought some materials to make container candles with my daughter as a Christmas project, and I've got quite obsessed with it but haven't quite mastered the basics yet! I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on exactly what we should change and experiment with to try and get a better burn pool..

I have attached pics of a recent attempt. We are using:

30cl containers, approx 78-80mm diameter

Wax - Kerasoy 4130 Container Wax (210g per candle)

Wick - TCR 33/18

Scent - 17g, brand = Scented Living

Dye - 0.45g

Temps - 

Melting to around 75º, stirring slowly and then taking off heat. 

Add dye 70º. Add scent 60º. Pour at 55º (containers pre-warmed). 

Left to cure for 2 days. 

Our original attempts used a lot more fragrance (we got our measurements wrong!) so we have been decreasing that but with no real impact. 

I'm wondering if next we should try "wicking up" or change brand to perhaps Wedo Stabilo or Wedo Eco?

Also we have a lot of the Kerasoy left so ideally would like to get more success using this wax, but is something like Golden Wax 464 better quality and more likely to get better burn results? I was thinking of getting a kilo to try as we're running out of fragrance oil anyway..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated so I can put in a supplies order for our next few attempts!!

latest burn.jpg

First try wax without color. Color can change wax dramatically. For new candle maker best to leave uncolored until you know your wax and wicks IMHO. The wick looks too small if you did test burn of three hours. I would try an uncolored candle with bigger wick and one with colored wax and compare. It can tell you a lot of burn characteristics.

How fun! Candle making is a giant rabbit hole. 

that one looks slightly under wicked.  You can pull that wick, smooth the surface to level if needed, and stuff a wick into the old hole to dial in your size for that container/wax/dye/fragrance combo.  Every combo is a unique “system” that you will want to take good notes for.  The next combo may be similar or very different.  

enjoy your new obsession 😊

Thanks for the replies!

That is a good idea re. trying without dye. So I can try to pinpoint the issue. 

Re wicking - do you mean using the exact same type of wick (TCR 33/18) but trim it longer?

I trimmed this wick to 5/8 inch or 16mm. 

Maybe I will try 2 candles without dye, everything else the same except trim 1 wick to 16mm and the other to 21mm.

When testing wicks a neat trick is make a candle without a wick, then skewer a hole with like a swish kabob bamboo stick. Then you can switch out wicks to test! You want wicks to be trimmed about 1/4. So make two candle NO WICKS. One with dye, one without.

Then use a skewer to make hole, then test original wick and then wick up or down. Hope that makes sense!

1 hour ago, Octo said:

Thanks for the replies!

That is a good idea re. trying without dye. So I can try to pinpoint the issue. 

Re wicking - do you mean using the exact same type of wick (TCR 33/18) but trim it longer?

I trimmed this wick to 5/8 inch or 16mm. 

Maybe I will try 2 candles without dye, everything else the same except trim 1 wick to 16mm and the other to 21mm.

Close.  The next size up from TVR 33/18.  I’m not familiar with your wick series to recommend a size. 

Thank you both again. 

Hole-skewering for wicks is a great idea, as currently if my candle doesn't burn properly I'm heating it in the oven to melt and discard the wax and reusing the container - it seems a real waste. 

Forgive my current lack of understanding of the terminology - by "wick up / down" do you mean a different type of wick, or trimming the same type of wick to a different length?

The image below shows a table with the TCR wicks recommended for diameter containers. 

I am using the 33/18 (83-89mm..ø) so will order the next diameter up (33/20 - 89-95mm), along with a different brand, as that will hopefully cover all bases...

And in the mean time I will prepare a non-dyed candle with a skewered hole.

This is turning into more of a science project than a craft project but it's a fun challenge and it's not got me beat yet!!

Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 14.38.47.png

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, "wicking" is actually a verb here.  :D  Until you became obsessed, you probably assumed that wick was just a noun.  LOL

When the musical "Wicked" came out, I was actually puzzled about the name until I heard someone pronounce it with TWO syllables.  :D 

On 1/16/2023 at 8:39 AM, Octo said:

... currently if my candle doesn't burn properly I'm heating it in the oven to melt and discard the wax and reusing the container - it seems a real waste ...

If you have a candle that doesn't work out, just remelt the wax and reuse the wax over again, for instance in a "scrap" type of candle where all of your salvaged remnants are used to make a chunk candle or layered candle, etc.