Soy wax candle

Greetings to all forum members!
I tried to make a container candle out of pure soy wax but after curing, the surface of the candle is loose and uneven. I want it to be even and smooth.
Can you please tell me what to add to soy wax for a smooth surface?

Thanks a lot in advance.

1 hour ago, Martin said:

Greetings to all forum members!
I tried to make a container candle out of pure soy wax but after curing, the surface of the candle is loose and uneven. I want it to be even and smooth.
Can you please tell me what to add to soy wax for a smooth surface?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I use 444 wax which is 98% soy. I usually leave a little wax in my pitcher in case I have to repour a little on top of the candles if there are 'craters' or sink holes or whatever you call them. Dyed wax is worse for this. You can also use a heat gun to smooth out the tops. Not sure what you mean by 'loose' though.

• Like 1

Hi!

This is a difficult question to answer. It really helps to pinpoint the issue by including:

which specific brand and blend of soy wax,

any additives you included

fragrance

fragrance %

Ambient temp

How you heated the wax

temp heated to

temp poured at

Often soy appearance issues can be solved by pouring temps and rate of cooling.  SO much depends on the other variables.

Interpretations of smooth surface with soy. You can pour at a certain temp, you can double pour, you can add additives to help smooth out, you can add paraffin.

If you master a smooth top on most soys when you burn the candle it will have rough surface again unless you add additives or blend with paraffin.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:15 AM, Martin said:

Thanks.
But there is soy wax with additives that immediately after hardening gives a smooth surface. This wax has an alkaline reaction. You need to understand what this supplement is.

It seems that any soy wax, additives or not, has the ability to display surface issues at various temperatures that it doesn't prefer.