Jump to content

Candle care cards


 Share

Recommended Posts

Do any of you guys do this?  I don't, and I really don't see the need since all the info anyone needs is included on the warning label.  According to social media, care cards are the thing.  It also seems to be a way of shuffling blame to the customer in the event something goes wrong. I am confident in my candles so I just don't see any need for additional instructions (and the added cost of including them).  I was just wondering if any of you guys are doing this and why.  
If I am missing something, I want to know.  We are starting a new business venture and trying to cover ALL the bases.  Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't sell my candles so I can't really comment in that regards but as someone who use to buy A LOT of candles before I started making my own...I never once turned them over and read the warning label.  I did look at anything additional that was included in the package tho whether it be a care card, thank you note, general business info, etc.  Doesn't mean I always did what the care card said but I would at least read it 🙃

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do with tapers, just because of the insane things people have confessed to doing.
For instance:

lighting a candle “for luck” then leaving the house for the day.  
Using combustible candle rings.  

Using combustible candle holders (drilled out sticks, evergreen branches, drilled out 2x4 or pallet scrap wood). there have been severL recent recalls on taper candle holders that present fire hazards. People just don’t understand that combustible materials near an open flame is just plain a bad idea.
 

FFC55055-262D-46E8-BCE1-4E6432F6C64E.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jmspgh said:

I don't sell my candles so I can't really comment in that regards but as someone who use to buy A LOT of candles before I started making my own...I never once turned them over and read the warning label.  I did look at anything additional that was included in the package tho whether it be a care card, thank you note, general business info, etc.  Doesn't mean I always did what the care card said but I would at least read it 🙃

Good info. I had not considered that add'l info might get a look-twice that the standard warning label does not.  Thank you :)

 

@TallTaylI totally understand why you'd include that info. An alarming amount of people don't seem to know how to properly burn tapers or even pillar candles.  I definitely need to rethink my pillars.  Would you consider it in any way necessary or beneficial to include additional info for a run of the mill mason jar candle?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Good info. I had not considered that add'l info might get a look-twice that the standard warning label does not.  Thank you :)

 

@TallTaylI totally understand why you'd include that info. An alarming amount of people don't seem to know how to properly burn tapers or even pillar candles.  I definitely need to rethink my pillars.  Would you consider it in any way necessary or beneficial to include additional info for a run of the mill mason jar candle?  

I include the card for anything lit these days. Pinterest shares so many horrible ideas, like dry pine boughs and botanicals. Plus, Container candles under a heating vent or ceiling fan throw soot they otherwise wouldn’t. And, geez, people, stay home after lighting a candle 🤣

 

I put the card on the listings too, to cover my bases.

  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I do with tapers, just because of the insane things people have confessed to doing.
For instance:

lighting a candle “for luck” then leaving the house for the day.  
Using combustible candle rings.  

Using combustible candle holders (drilled out sticks, evergreen branches, drilled out 2x4 or pallet scrap wood). there have been severL recent recalls on taper candle holders that present fire hazards. People just don’t understand that combustible materials near an open flame is just plain a bad idea.

 

Oh yes, a warning info card with tapers makes sense. Some people will do such stupid things and then blame someone else or wonder why bad things happen to them. 😄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jmspgh said:

I never once turned them over and read the warning label.  I did look at anything additional that was included in the package tho whether it be a care card, thank you note, general business info, etc.  Doesn't mean I always did what the care card said but I would at least read it 🙃

 

That's a great point and I never looked for a warning label on a candle or even cared until I started making candles.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I include the card for anything lit these days. Pinterest shares so many horrible ideas, like dry pine boughs and botanicals. Plus, Container candles under a heating vent or ceiling fan throw soot they otherwise wouldn’t. And, geez, people, stay home after lighting a candle 🤣

 

I put the card on the listings too, to cover my bases.

 

Yes, including the care and warning info on your product listings is nice. I can see if you are including a Thank You note with contact info, etc. then I guess you may as well include the care and warning info. Oh yes, the one where someone would actually, intentionally leave home after lighting a candle blows my mind. 🤯 Wonder if those same people leave their house after lighting their fireplace? 🤪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always add them. I have watched candle burners do stupid. Never trimming wicks. Leaving candles to burn for hours and hours. My favorite person of atrocities would light candles with matches and then stick in meltpool.

Now imagine the candle half way down! Twigs of matches in meltpool! Awful. I used to go and clean out the candles and trim wicks. Many people do not know about first burns, and tunneling and then get crazy about why their candle looks bad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Laura C said:

 

Yes, including the care and warning info on your product listings is nice. I can see if you are including a Thank You note with contact info, etc. then I guess you may as well include the care and warning info. Oh yes, the one where someone would actually, intentionally leave home after lighting a candle blows my mind. 🤯 Wonder if those same people leave their house after lighting their fireplace? 🤪

Or leave a curling iron, iron, stove burner on… people trust that others have taken the care to ensure no problem will develop.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Laura C said:

 

That's a great point and I never looked for a warning label on a candle or even cared until I started making candles.

With candles, seems everyone just thinks you light and do nothing more. People don’t trim wicks, remove carbon clumps, nothing. They certainly don’t read caution labels. Heck the print on them is so tiny and there are sooo many words. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention, a few years ago when we were living in an apartment in FL, our downstairs neighbor a few doors over burned her darn apartment almost down with a candle left alone. She was a young girl, evidently not very cautious, she had a candle burning and left it in the care of her cat and went to the store. 🤪 Before she got back home her apartment was still on fire and she was screaming about her cat. Luckily one of the neighbors knew she had a cat and saved it. By the time the fire department arrived there was a ton of damage and all the rest of us had grabbed our valuables and evacuated. 🔥 🚒 Needless to say, no one, especially the landlord was happy with her and her stupidity and she was evicted. It was reported that the cat had knocked the candle over. 🐈🐱

 

Maybe her candle didn't include a care card? 😝

Edited by Laura C
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

That is why many rentals don’t allow candles any more. Wax melts became quite popular for that reason 

 

That's understandable, it was a scary situation I hope to never be in again. I'm so thankful no one was hurt and that damage was mostly just in her apartment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was curious about this also, I see that a lot of people add them to their packaging. I was thinking about the extra cost and debating if I needed them or not. I have only made in person sales to coworkers but have already learned that people dont listen or follow directions! I share an office with a young lady, she hears me talk about candles all day, then she goes home and doesn't do anything I told her to do. She wasn't trimming the wick, she was leaving matches in the candle, she also fell asleep one night with one burning (has 2 cats). I know this because even though I have tested the candles prior to selling them I ask her for photos of the candle. You should have seen the poor candle she left burning over night! The other young lady I share an office with lit her candle for an hour, blew it out and went to sleep, she repeated this a few days in a row, now she is curious why her candle started tunneling! I know the people I work with are probably tired of hearing about candle making and have started tuning me out at this point. 🙃 I ordered Thank you/Candle care cards a few days ago. I bought a template on Etsy and ordered them in a standard business card size, vistaprint was having a 40%off sale so I got a box of 100 for like 18$ plus shipping. If I ever do start selling online I will get something larger but for now I hope these little cards will work..

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously it's a good idea, but I swear...the candles I am currently making are so darn perfect, they are practically idiot proof. I woke up the other day to find I'd left one burning overnight, and the MP was still perfect, the flame was still small.  It would take some doing to make them perform badly.  But based on the responses I received, I will be making some care cards and I will distribute them with my wholesale orders.  Thank you all for the feedback.  It is greatly appreciated. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 6:41 AM, Lynnann81 said:

I have only made in person sales to coworkers but have already learned that people dont listen or follow directions!

 

That's for sure, heck, some of them don't even bother to read the descriptions and information right there on the product listings. Then some get upset if a scent was milder than they anticipated or if a candle is smaller than they expected even if all that was described on the website.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...