Has anyone tried MP-117 wax?

18 hours ago, Forrest said:

I just went to the CS website and they have a new paraffin container wax, MP-117. I don’t know who manufactures it, but  I’m willing to try anything at this point.

Interesting.... I have never seen a container paraffin with such a low MP before. They also have a new pillar/votive/tart wax that sounds intriguing too - MP 137. I just got my formula down, I do NOT need to be tempted. Esp since it's something only they carry. Ok I'm gonna go hide in the corner FAR away from temptation......

This is from the CS Facebook page

"This container wax is typically reserved for large manufacturing companies as a private label wax, so we're excited to make it available to you. While we can't spill the deets, let’s just say you’ll be using the same wax as some big brand name, high-end candle manufacturers."

If this is true I may find the consistency I'm looking for in this wax. I just ordered two slabs, so we shall see.

They're talking a load of rubbish, nobody is gonna use a wax with that low of a melt point at a large manufacturing company. Any kind of transport with heat and those candles will go to crap. It's good marketing though.

I don't think it's going to be any different than every other wax on the market from lot to lot, I've tried most of them recently and they all never wick the same as the previous batch.

• Like 1

That wax will be useful in blends and when you get a slab of like 4630 and it’s harder than your slabs before. Don’t use as standalone but can be good blender. I would try it for parasoy and see if it can stand the winter adhesion test.

That’s my test where a candle has to keep adhesion during winters months for shipping in glass see through containers.

• Like 1

I've been testing the MP-117 at 80/20 blending with a coconut wax. I think the wax is FANTASTIC!!  I'm using 6% fragrance and the hot throw and burn is phenomenal! I don't find it any softer than Problend 400, 4630, 4636, 4627, or 4633. It's a bright white color too which is really pretty.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PINKT said:

I've been testing the MP-117 at 80/20 blending with a coconut wax. I think the wax is FANTASTIC!!  I'm using 6% fragrance and the hot throw and burn is phenomenal! I don't find it any softer than Problend 400, 4630, 4636, 4627, or 4633. It's a bright white color too which is really pretty.

I’m curious, what does the coconut wax do for it? I’ve not gotten in to blending waxes so that would be a big step for me.

3 hours ago, PINKT said:

I spent a while testing a blend with both 4630 and 4633. I found that 4630 was a little on the sticky side compared to 4633. Would you say the MP-117 has that sticky consistency? Out of those 2 I mentioned, which one is it more similar to?

48 minutes ago, LilFirecracker said:

I spent a while testing a blend with both 4630 and 4633. I found that 4630 was a little on the sticky side compared to 4633. Would you say the MP-117 has that sticky consistency? Out of those 2 I mentioned, which one is it more similar to?

I don't find the MP117 sticky at all.

Forrest blending waxes is very helpful when you find your current fav wax is too hard, too soft, not of this or that.

I have been on blending binge for a production wax. Right now I have five favorites of various waxes and additives.

Why? Couldn’t find what I liked, secondly the wax shortages make me nuts, so covering my bases.

What you learn is the properties of waxes and additives so you can fine tune your wax. Haha not a cheap endeavor but you don’t have to go nuts. You could try blending a parasoy and see how you like it. Good project for winter and you may like it better than 4627 and def better than 6006!

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, Forrest said:

I’m curious, what does the coconut wax do for it? I’ve not gotten in to blending waxes so that would be a big step for me.

I'm just a blender, have been for years and I love coconut waxes so added 20%

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:31 PM, LilFirecracker said:

LilFirecracker, the MP-117 is most like the 4630 or Problend 400

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/12/2022 at 4:52 PM, Forrest said:

I just went to the CS website and they have a new paraffin container wax, MP-117. I don’t know who manufactures it, but  I’m willing to try anything at this point.

It's good. Been testing it for couple weeks now. Will be adding a video to the channel when ready. Its one of the more unique paraffin waxes I've ever used or seen and I've used a ton of waxes. I don't think they are lying about big brand company using it as well. I dont disagree with a previous reply that having such a low melt point can be an issue logistically for distribution, but large companies have creative ways to deal with it. Plus, larger brands have been changing waxes a lot over the past decade to try to keep up with the market and new demands. This wax does seem familiar to me from the perspective of a consumer, but I am not sure who manufactures it on from the perspective of a maker. 

PROS: good HT and CT. Very easy to use. Easy to wick mostly. great adhesion and surface setup, good color, etc.

CONS: Low melt point could be problematic shipping. And still has tendancy to throw a little soot especially if not wicked perfectly.

But, so far so good.

Edited by Wade
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 10:10 AM, PINKT said:

I've tested the MP-117 against the CBL-125 from Candlewic which I'm told is basically 4630. In my opinion the MP-117 is superior in hot throw and burn quality

I agree, the MP-117 is better than CBL-125 and 4630

On 1/14/2022 at 2:31 PM, LilFirecracker said:

Probably a little closer to 4630 but i find it MUCH better to work with. 4630 is like sticky and hard-ish. MP-117 is more soft but super easy to work with.

Its not like 4627 or anything. Lol

I’ve been testing this the past week or so. It’s exactly as I expected.

LX wicks are only good in it with small containers, bigger ones I like using HTP but the hot throw seems to be a bit muted, but it’s still not bad. Just have to use very small sizes to get a cleaner burn, but because it has such a low melt point it makes things easier with 3 inch containers. You don’t have to wait an eternity to get a bigger melt pool.

I’ve also been testing the new parasoy, it behaves very similar except it likes bigger wicks because of the added soy. (and I added a couple more % FO load to compensate).

Overall, I like both the waxes, but there’s no way I could use them for shipping all the time. They both arrived by UPS almost melted.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 11:24 PM, Wade said:

Probably a little closer to 4630 but i find it MUCH better to work with. 4630 is like sticky and hard-ish. MP-117 is more soft but super easy to work with.

Its not like 4627 or anything. Lol

Soooo.....not sure if you mess with melts or ever have. But since this is a very soft low MP wax and what seems to be a killer HT, mixing this with 4625 could probably make a really kick-ass wax melt! 

I really need to stop finding out about new waxes that interest me. Here I am still fine-tuning my blend and thinking about other blends. I always feel like I might be missing out on something if I don't try it. I just wish all places offered sample sized wax. My regular supplier only had 10lb slabs on up. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 5:44 PM, LilFirecracker said:

Soooo.....not sure if you mess with melts or ever have. But since this is a very soft low MP wax and what seems to be a killer HT, mixing this with 4625 could probably make a really kick-ass wax melt! 

I really need to stop finding out about new waxes that interest me. Here I am still fine-tuning my blend and thinking about other blends. I always feel like I might be missing out on something if I don't try it. I just wish all places offered sample sized wax. My regular supplier only had 10lb slabs on up. 

At what % would you start with in the blending of the two? I am ordering some now. I have been testing 6006/4625 that Jeff Stanley recommends.

On 5/7/2022 at 1:37 AM, ErronB said:

I’ve been testing this the past week or so. It’s exactly as I expected.

LX wicks are only good in it with small containers, bigger ones I like using HTP but the hot throw seems to be a bit muted, but it’s still not bad. Just have to use very small sizes to get a cleaner burn, but because it has such a low melt point it makes things easier with 3 inch containers. You don’t have to wait an eternity to get a bigger melt pool.

I’ve also been testing the new parasoy, it behaves very similar except it likes bigger wicks because of the added soy. (and I added a couple more % FO load to compensate).

Overall, I like both the waxes, but there’s no way I could use them for shipping all the time. They both arrived by UPS almost melted.

I’m so glad you mentioned the wicks you used. I have a smaller single which jar with an lx and the longer it burns the flame gets high as the wax lowers should I be concerned? 

Also I don’t get as much a hot throw like I was hoping. I’m new so maybe I’m expecting too much from handmade candles. Or is it only because I’m using small single wicked jars?

Are you using large multi wicked jars and that’s how your getting such a good hot throw? 

The scent im getting now seems more of for bathrooms and small rooms as it’s only 7oz and single wicked?

On 5/7/2022 at 12:21 AM, Wade said:

It's good. Been testing it for couple weeks now. Will be adding a video to the channel when ready. Its one of the more unique paraffin waxes I've ever used or seen and I've used a ton of waxes. I don't think they are lying about big brand company using it as well. I dont disagree with a previous reply that having such a low melt point can be an issue logistically for distribution, but large companies have creative ways to deal with it. Plus, larger brands have been changing waxes a lot over the past decade to try to keep up with the market and new demands. This wax does seem familiar to me from the perspective of a consumer, but I am not sure who manufactures it on from the perspective of a maker. 

PROS: good HT and CT. Very easy to use. Easy to wick mostly. great adhesion and surface setup, good color, etc.

CONS: Low melt point could be problematic shipping. And still has tendancy to throw a little soot especially if not wicked perfectly.

But, so far so good.

Are you using bigger jars and double wicking? I ask as I’m using smaller jars that are single wicked and inquiring about what I need in order for a stronger hot throw. Maybe my jar is too small.