Double wicking problems

Gladys

Hello fellow makers I wanted to share something that’s been troubling me. I’m using:

Hobby lobby jar with bamboo lid 

2 HTP 73’s 

FO from Candle science 

the initial burn tests are great the the htp 73’s but once the wax level get to the middle of the jar, they dim down. Not to the point where they turn themselves off but maybe like half of the normal flame. I tried increasing to 83’s but they soot within 2 hours. 

anyone else found something that helped. Htp’s give me the best HT so I wouldn’t want to try another one. But I would like to see what my options are. Thank you everyone. 

I had the same issue with HTP and CD in the container I was using.  So I went with a CDN and had better results.  Also, depending on the FO, I've had luck with HTP, CD/CDN and Premier.  However, I was using a single wick.  Not double.  

Edited by SRez

It is possible that the candle wax and FO are "eating" or possibly  "clogging" the wick. When that situation happens to me I often am able to fix the problem by changing wick series. Some combos just ruin the wick during the burn.

I never loved HTP, preferring CD or CDN usually. Occasionally ECO does the trick.

Double wicking can become problematic forcing too much fuel through the wicks, clogging them. Whenever the jar is 3" inner diameter or less i try for a single wick to avoid headaches.

23 minutes ago, SRez said:

I had the same issue with HTP and CD in the container I was using.  So I went with a CDN and had better results.  Also, depending on the FO, I've had luck with HTP, CD/CDN and Premier.  However, I was using a single wick.  Not double.  

When CDN work it often points to the acid value of the combo causing the wick to eat itself 😃 CDN are treated to help minimize the problem.  Yay you could figure it out and get on with your candles. Woot!

• Like 1

Interesting. I love the HT of HTP. I’ve tried eco but I see too much soot. Maybe I can try with eco and CDN. I have almost every wick from all the testing. Thank you for the input. I’m using a jar just under 3.5” where should o start with eco? 2 eco 8’s 

25 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

When CDN work it often points to the acid value of the combo causing the wick to eat itself 😃 CDN are treated to help minimize the problem.  Yay you could figure it out and get on with your candles. Woot!

I'm going at a snail's pace with testing but I'm in no rush 🙂  Right now I'm trying to think of a more efficient way of testing. 

As of now, I pour about 3 or 4 of the same FO / vessel / wax and test one at a time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest Glad87 said:

Interesting. I love the HT of HTP. I’ve tried eco but I see too much soot. Maybe I can try with eco and CDN. I have almost every wick from all the testing. Thank you for the input. I’m using a jar just under 3.5” where should o start with eco? 2 eco 8’s 

ECO are a super hot wick, but small sizes often work very well with waxes like yours. I'm having some luck with coconut blends and ECO 1, ECO1.5, etc. It is very easy to overwick with ECO. After loads of reluctance to go back to them, ECO are a life saver with many of the difficult fragrances I use when  CDN will burn them clean, but they don't give up any notieable HT. 

1 hour ago, SRez said:

I'm going at a snail's pace with testing but I'm in no rush 🙂  Right now I'm trying to think of a more efficient way of testing. 

As of now, I pour about 3 or 4 of the same FO / vessel / wax and test one at a time.  

slow and steady wins the race. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

You mean the eco don’t offer too much HT or the CDN?

I tried the eco 6 and 8 but they were too hot. I’m currently trying CDN 5’s 

In these particular jars/wax/FO the CDN burned pretty but could not produce HT. ECO 1, ECO1.5 and ECO2 did the trick.

I would try ECO 2 and ECO 4 in your jar and see if it performs better than the CD and CDN. 

In soy based waxes I find CDN to be a bit smaller burning than the same size of CD.

In coconut type base waxes, the opposite has been true. CDN will burn hotter than CD of the same size. It is crazy. 

I gave up on performa when the pandemic issues made them unavailable for months at a time.  They had some promise.

I often have trouble with candle science oils. So reduce fragrance amount, or cut candle science with another fragrance. Many of their fragrance are strong enough cutting them with another well behaving fo can tame those foes to work in wax and wicks. Eco 1 don’t underestimate burn power. Been trying those in double wicks and even those can burn too hot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for your input. I never thought I’d see myself using eco but I am trying them as we speak. I dont know if I’m used to the Ht from HTP but eco is almost there with HT. Maybe it’s me. But it’s looking good