Dough bowl candle

Hummingbird1

DOUGH BOWLS ARE A FIRED HAZARD.

And if you do proceed you will be responsible for homes burning down.

You have asked for wicking help before, there are charts and you must test yourself.

There are no easy instant make a candle answers. 

Part of learning candle making and responsible candle making is doing the research development - the work!

But again dough bowls are wood and flammable, kind of like the coconut shell candles etc.

Surely you recognize the passion and replies to these dough bowl and similar topics.

Please don’t mistake the passion for people trying to yuck your Yum.

When in doubt refer to astm.org for candle safety guidance. Although many “Experts” in candle groups and you tube will claim ASTM is voluntary, ASTM are the de facto resource in lawsuits for the prosecution should a candle catch fire and cause someone harm.

Back to dough bowls. If they were a good idea wouldn’t you think big wholesalers like wholesale supplies plus and candle science etc. would be carrying them?

The small online sellers that do carry them have warnings on the listing to not use them as candle vessels. Extremely irresponsible in my opinion to even offer them in candle supplies, but I don’t pay their insurance Or legal fees.

For those candlemakers who say others do it, maybe it’s just lucky. Some people get away with drinking and driving. Some people get away with texting and driving. That doesn’t mean it is safe or advisable.

indie candle makers reputations reflect on all of us. Candle fires are no joke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

FIRE HAZARD (TYPO ABOVE)

AS WELL AS DRIED PETALS, GEMSTONES, MONEY...YES PAPER MONEY USED IN SPELL CANDLES.

NO NO NO

Omg, those gemstones & dried petals. All of the rage all over social media ! I love watching other candlemakers do their thing, so I was on TikTok for a bit, & I finally deleted the app. Ever go on the candle making side of there ?

Soooo many of them put those dried flowers on the top, & I mean some of them almost cover the entire tops of their candles with it ! And one lady put these huge crystals on hers, kind of embedded into the wax, but right by the wicks. Yes, they were stunning, but omg.

And I made a dumb mistake when I first started years ago ( mine was entire too much fo, I almost started a fire in my house ) but I learned a big lesson from it. When people would try to tell some of the people that these things were dangerous, they would just brush them off, & act like they were crazy. 

Anyway, sorry to go off the rails, lol. It’s just...this is why I love this board so much. You guys are about safety first, as it should be. 

OP, please be very careful if you do decide to make this. You might just be doing it for personal use but please be super careful regardless & if you do burn this, please be right beside it. If I wasn’t right by mine when it almost caught on fire, I could have burned my house down or even worse, caused a lot of harm ( or worse ) to my children, my pets, & myself. 

Edited by WaxingPoetic
  • Shocked 1

You have asked for wicking help before, there are charts and you must test yourself.

Part of learning candle making and responsible candle making is doing the research development - the work!

But again dough bowls are wood and flammable, kind of like the coconut shell candles etc.

I have tested . I thought what this was what this group was for , helping one another . 

7 minutes ago, Hummingbird1 said:

I didn’t know I would get my head bit off asking a question. 

I shouldn’t really speak for others, but my take on this is that the lack of helping choosing a wick is due to the vessel being dangerous, ya know ? This is by far the most helpful board that I’ve been on over the years.

I think that people just feel like they would be partially responsible if this caused a fire, if they helped you wick a bread bowl. I get that it probably came off a bit harsh, but try to look at it as a tough love kind of thing. 

None of us want to see you have to deal with a fire, whether it’s at your home ( if this is for personal use ) or a customer’s ( if you plan on selling ).

Dangerous candle making practices are unfortunately very trendy these days, & misinformation is spreading like wildfire. Everyone here just wants you & your customers ( if you’re a business owner ) to be safe, that’s all this is.

Edited by WaxingPoetic

Sorry for tough love.

BUT THIS IS A CRAFT THAT DEALS WITH FIRE.

IT REQUIRES HARDWORK, PATIENCE AND DOING YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT SO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WHY AND HOW.

IT DOES NOT BENEFIT YOU IF SOMEONE SAYS USE AN XX WICK.

WHAT IF YOU USE XX WICK POUR 25 CANDLES AND THEY ARE FIRE HAZARD BECAUSE YOU JUST WENT AHEAD AND MADE THEM TO MAKE QUICK CANDLES BASED ON A FORUM.