Do you blend a little essential oil with fragrance oil for candles?

GailC

I bought some candles making supplies locally, and the lady talked me into buying a 16 oz bottle of Clove Leaf essential oil from WSP.  I told her I had read that essential oils didn't work in candles, but she showed me a Clove candle she had made and said it was fine. 

Well the price was right for that expensive essential oil so I bought it.

So I'm thinking I could use 1 part Clove EO to 4 parts Cinnamon FO, or thereabouts to make soy candles.

Have any of you had success blending EO and FO in candles?

Def have to research even about diffusing EO with pets.  Some are very safe.  I think it's a waste of EO to mix it with FO.  IMO if you're going for an EO candle it should be all EO.  Some work others lose their scent.  Most will morph or turn dark in soy wax after several months. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Many fo use components of EO pretty commonly. 

I blend EO/fo components often to highlight the strengths of each.

do be aware that clove EO (and many others) and fo  can mess with wicks. 

I believe I've seen that Candlescience uses essential oils in their FO's

I was wondering about wicking candles with EO.

I think I'll just stick to fragrance oils.  Way less complicated. :) 

58 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Def have to research even about diffusing EO with pets.  Some are very safe.  I think it's a waste of EO to mix it with FO.  IMO if you're going for an EO candle it should be all EO.  Some work others lose their scent.  Most will morph or turn dark in soy wax after several months. 

Thanks for the info.  I'm just going to order Clove or Cinnamon Clove FO.  I know what I'm doing with FO.  :) 

4 minutes ago, GailC said:

I believe I've seen that Candlescience uses essential oils in their FO's

I was wondering about wicking candles with EO.

I think I'll just stick to fragrance oils.  Way less complicated. :) 

Clove in fragrance oil can cause the same issues, since the clove notes are from eugenol (as in EO). 

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Clove in fragrance oil can cause the same issues, since the clove notes are from eugenol (as in EO). 

Oh great! So do you think a small amount of Clove EO in soy candles can be toxic to pets and pregnant women?

30 minutes ago, GailC said:

Here's what I found about Clove Leaf EO on WSP's website:

clove eo.JPG

Makes sense to me.  Eugenol is the aromachemical component that makes it smell clovey 

iFRA would be the safety document for products. MSDS is geared toward how to handle the compound. WSP is good about providing them both. 

don’t drink it and don’t pour it into waterways, lol.

• Haha 1

@GailC i have heard conflicting things about EO and pets. One reputable animal site said “not an issue” and “rumor only”. But, I have had a customer with a bird who was super worried. So much so that I checked each candle oil used in candles she was considering for EO. One, didn’t want to take a chance. Two, make the customer happy. Had WAY MORE candles where FO listed “some” EO than I thought I would...🤷‍♀️ Not sure this helped at all....but many of your FO will already have EO in them (I’m guessing)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, The Candle Nook said:

@GailC i have heard conflicting things about EO and pets. One reputable animal site said “not an issue” and “rumor only”. But, I have had a customer with a bird who was super worried. So much so that I checked each candle oil used in candles she was considering for EO. One, didn’t want to take a chance. Two, make the customer happy. Had WAY MORE candles where FO listed “some” EO than I thought I would...🤷‍♀️ Not sure this helped at all....but many of your FO will already have EO in them (I’m guessing)

I did a lot of internet research and I don't know where I read it, but one place said that when EO is added to Fragrance oil, it is candle safe, or something like that.  Now I don't know how the EO that Candlescience infuses into their FO's is different from other EO, but I'm going to assume it is safe and non toxic.

I wavered back and forth about blending some EO in with my FO, but finally just ordered Clove fragrance oil from NG.  Boy, it was expensive. But Belinda helped me out.  She had Clove from Flaming Candle, The Candle Source and NG, and said that NG's Clove was the clear winner.  :) @Belinda is always so helpful telling us which FO's she likes from different companies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/20/2021 at 2:27 PM, GailC said:

Wow! Ordered from NG yesterday at 11:15. Got my order today. I guess the pandemic isn't affecting their processing and shipping any more. :) 

The Clove does smell very good OOB.

I'm glad you're happy with it! It really is the best one I've smelled so far. I'll look for any other samples i have from other companies to see if any compare. 

• Like 2