PayPal PSA

awnl

Many people have fallen prey to dishonest buyers when accepting and processing orders thru PayPal. Sadly I experienced this first hand recently. When a buyer says "tem is not as described" and escalates a refund request, PayPal will always side with the buyer. They know when using these specific words PayPal will always decide in their favor, regardless of the evidence presented by the seller, or the relationship the seller may have with PayPal.

To protect yourself, read PayPal's Agreement Acknowledgement carefully.

Tip: Before shipping , take a picture of the items being shipped, the paid invoice and any conversation you had with the buyer, in the event you have to present evidence later.

I know this is time consuming steps especially during the busy season, but is necessary during these time of dishonest people.

I'm rethinking the whole payment processing of orders... considering going back to old school practices of accepting checks . 

Anyone has a tip they'd like to share?

• Thanks 2

Unfortunately it is the cost of doing business.  Not too much you can do.  I use STRIPE to process credit cards on my site.  I have had people Dispute the charge with their credit card company.  Well for a $20 purchase that I would of been happy to refund, I am charged a $15 dispute fee plus will loose the $20 I received.  Just sucks.

I have been seeing this new scam making the rounds in the wool groups. Someone just received a very expensive, rare fleece and simply disputed the charge and was fully refunded without requiring the return of the product or even a chance to make things right (despite there being nothing wrong with the fleece).  This is a huge paypal shortcoming, in my opinion. Before being refunded you must make an attempt to contact the supplier and send it back, IMO.

Some colleagues have made a practice of video taping packing of orders so the recipient has a little less confidence in their claim. It is a total pain, but for items like what you have been shipping it might not be the worst idea. I was, for a while, writing the weight in grams of orders in sharpie so the recipient had an idea that I knew what was in that package. Then I changed packaging to better protect from false claims. 

I am so sorry this happened to you.

My PP experience has been the opposite of yours, and I'm trying to figure out why.  We have used PP since the late 90's. We use them for website bookings, online sales, and as our in-store cc processor. I've always said I stay with them because they always have my back, which is worth the slightly higher fees.  I've only had a few disputes, and every single one that wasn't a valid claim has been sided in our favor.  We had a couple of valid claims that were 100% deserving of a refund, but the customers filed a claim before contacting me, and when they filed, I immediately refunded.  I currently have one chargeback pending.  It is obviously a scam, I have a ton of documentation to back me up, so I think we will win that one too.  

After hearing your experience, I would love to know what the difference is.  Do they treat in-store purchases differently than online purchases? Do long-time customers have an edge?  IDK.  In one of our chargebacks, we didn't actually win (w/the buyers cc), but PP covered the charge for us, which was $450.50, and no $ was taken from our account.  It's just weird as heck to me that they are always siding with the buyer in your cases.  

• Like 1

I don't  know the reasoning behind PayPal's decision. All my research shows that  when a buyer indicates        " item is not as described " it triggles PayPal to error their side. I had insurance on the package, buyer indicated they throw away 10# of fragrance ( in the regular trash)  the day it arrive due to small spillage, and before I was made aware of the problem. I experienced spillage with oil shipments, but I worked with the company to resolve, with the understanding  accidents happen.

I've been with PayPal for awhile, processing orders in store and online.  Crazy time we're in, just wanted to inform everyone to take extra caution processing orders.

1 hour ago, awnl said:

I don't  know the reasoning behind PayPal's decision. All my research shows that  when a buyer indicates        " item is not as described " it triggles PayPal to error their side. I had insurance on the package, buyer indicated they throw away 10# of fragrance ( in the regular trash)  the day it arrive due to small spillage, and before I was made aware of the problem. I experienced spillage with oil shipments, but I worked with the company to resolve, with the understanding  accidents happen.

I've been with PayPal for awhile, processing orders in store and online.  Crazy time we're in, just wanted to inform everyone to take extra caution processing orders.

Wow...that seems heavy handed.  Disturbingly so.