Should I go up on my wick size?

55 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I used to use a lot of zincs in 6006, but a couple of years ago I started having problems with batches of 6006 being softer and more gooey and it didn't burn as well.  I retested for months and determined that Eco wicks were the best of the lot, hands down.  The only real problem w/Eco's is that being just one size off can be ugly and make a person think ALL Eco's suck.  In truth, the right one is golden.  But definitely try zincs.  You may love them. Good luck!

I have some of that gooey 6006 left over lol. It still throws like a beast but yeah the way it burns is weird. I agree that Eco is definitely the best for performance and melt pools, I think that HTP deals with the self trimming aspect better but the hot throw always seems kinda hit or miss compared to Eco.

9 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I have some of that gooey 6006 left over lol. It still throws like a beast but yeah the way it burns is weird. I agree that Eco is definitely the best for performance and melt pools, I think that HTP deals with the self trimming aspect better but the hot throw always seems kinda hit or miss compared to Eco.

Do you know if the newest batches are still bad?  I haven't bought any in a long time. Some of the pics I've been seeing look like it's still the same gooey mess.

• Like 1

Just now, bfroberts said:

Do you know if the newest batches are still bad?  I haven't bought any in a long time. Some of the pics I've been seeing look like it's still the same gooey mess.

Every time I get the urge to bring in a slab to test for the forum I think of this.  Why go through the work if everyone else will have a different batch that wicks soooo differently?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bfroberts said:

I haven't bought any recently, but I know someone who got a couple of slabs from CS a couple months ago and it was still the same gooey-ish type so I'd assume it's still the same. I like the hot throw from it a lot, but I can't get a 'clean' burn from it no matter how hard I try.

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Every time I get the urge to bring in a slab to test for the forum I think of this.  Why go through the work if everyone else will have a different batch that wicks soooo differently?

I have had the same problem with so much stuff lately, waxes and wicks, it's all just a mess, it's like I have to start over every time and it's taking up way more time than I have right now. So yeah, you're right, I don't see the point of going through all the work either with the state of supplies.

6 hours ago, Cosmic candle creations said:

Hi Forrest!

What type of wick do you use with the 6006? I've just ordered a zinc sample pack. What are your thoughts on zinc? Also do you have any feedback on using mica? I'm second guessing myself now..

I use zinc, CD, WI, LX, and HTP.. I am of the opinion that size is more important than type. As for zincs, if the size is right they do well, I would give them a try.

39 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

It's not vastly different, and a good cure fixes a lot.  I'm not sure it's not a moisture issue...at least partly.

34 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I haven't bought any recently, but I know someone who got a couple of slabs from CS a couple months ago and it was still the same gooey-ish type so I'd assume it's still the same. I like the hot throw from it a lot, but I can't get a 'clean' burn from it no matter how hard I try.

Ugh.  I had a feeling.  And now with the CBL130.  Geez.  I'm working on blending my own parasoy with C3, because I really don't know what else to do.  Testing something brand new doesn't seem as drudging as having to retest the same wax over and over and over.    

3 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

It's not vastly different, and a good cure fixes a lot.  I'm not sure it's not a moisture issue...at least partly.

Ugh.  I had a feeling.  And now with the CBL130.  Geez.  I'm working on blending my own parasoy with C3, because I really don't know what else to do.  Testing something brand new doesn't seem as drudging as having to retest the same wax over and over and over.    

Yeah, I don't know what to do either. In theory I'd like to just test some wax from a certain lot and be able to get more from it after I've achieved a couple of successful tests. But the way everyone is buying wax right now I don't know what the chances are that I'd get it from the same lot, and if not, how different would it be?. Such a mess. If you find something that works consistently during this horrible time then please feel free to let me know lol.

4 hours ago, Cosmic candle creations said:

Wish me luck on my eco 8 wick test with no mica 👍

20201103_145345.jpg

That's a beauty!  Don't forget to put a big warning label  "PLEASE DO NOT EAT THIS CANDLE!"

Good luck!  👍

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2020 at 11:00 AM, bfroberts said:

If that is a 3" diameter jar, Eco 12 is way too big.  Eco 8 should be spot on. 
You should also eliminate the mica.  It's very problematic.  

Edited to add:  Some people may not know this....a wick that is too large will tunnel, not just a wick that is too small, and Eco's don't have to be much too big for this to happen.  With 6006 in a 3" tumbler, you won't get a full melt pool on the first burn without using a wick that is way too large.  I see a lot of people that are looking for that large melt pool and they keep using bigger and bigger wicks, which then causes tunneling, and then they think they need a larger wick and just keep going up and up.  It's a vicious cycle.  

This is great info to know! What size zinc do you recommend starting with for 6006 in a 9oz straight sided jar (2.9" width)?