Craft Shows & the Covid 19

Candybee

Just about all the craft shows I signed up for this year have cancelled due to the Pandemic. So I was very surprised to receive a recent email from a craft show that does theirs the saturday after Thanksgiving. The management claims there will be social distancing and masks required. It is an indoor event and tends to get very busy each year with people buying Christmas gifts. I honestly don't think they realize how difficult its going to be to manage everyone who comes to the event. Shoot, people don't comply at the local grocery store or other shopping places I've been to this year.

Personally I think its completely unnecessary to expose people to the virus and irresponsible to put on an event of this type where crowds turn up to participate. But maybe that's just me. Anyway, I won't be going.

• Like 4

I agree with you 100%.   All my shows have cancelled for the year which I'm grateful for as they will give a refund or roll over to next year.  I was going to withdraw and just eat the loss of the money.   I think it's irresponsible to have hoards of people wandering in and out of booths.  Not worth the risk to me or my family.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

Three of my five shows have been cancelled so far.  Still waiting to hear about the other two.

The next month or 2 should be interesting. Between sturgis motorcycle gathering coming up and school starting we should know a lot quickly.

school districts in my area have all  unanimously voted to start the first quarter virtual only. Movie theaters are all closed.  All outdoor festivals and fairs canceled. I cannot imagine too many craft shows would attract the crowds needed to be profitable. Write off 2020 and look forward to 2021.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I cannot imagine too many craft shows would attract the crowds needed to be profitable. Write off 2020 and look forward to 2021.

My thoughts too. This year is pretty much a write off. A few of my cancelled shows I elected to leave them the fee to go towards 2021. The rest of my fees have been returned. 

Oops! Just rechecked my calendar and 2 craft shows have yet to cancel. That or I didn't get the memo. Need to check them out to be sure but I can't imagine either continuing.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The next month or 2 should be interesting. Between sturgis motorcycle gathering coming up and school starting we should know a lot quickly.

Somehow I don't see the Sturgis crowd shying away from their beloved annual gathering. It can be a pretty rough crowd. Actually this year I can picture fights breaking out due to all the politics, BLM, masks, social distancing, etc. Good place for the conspiracy groups and hate groups to infiltrate and and stir up trouble.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, kfintoni said:

Almost every one of my shows have been canceled. I still have a few farmers market dates but not many. Last year I did 54 shows and so far this year I have done 2. 

Karen in MA

that's more shows than me! LOL I haven't done any and very few markets. I only do markets because they have been very good at using the protocols set by the state for Covid-19. The stalls (tents) are at least 10 feet apart, everyone including customers must wear a mask, we also do the social distancing so only one customer/family at your stall, I make the hand sanitizer and everyone has a bottle and uses it a lot. No crowds have formed either and customers patiently wait at social distancing markers for their turn to go into a stall/tent. Everyone has been really good compliance to the protocols. I just can't see that happening at a craft show which tend to have huge numbers of crowds, especially the fall and holiday ones coming up.

BTW, I just received another email of another craft show  in October that plans the go ahead. This is a huge show with an annual attendance of about 25 to 30k. No way you can manage this. I just sent them back a reply that I won't be attending this year.

Turns out one of my shows was rescheduled for Aug 22 this month.  I just checked the website and they are still planning a go with the event. This is a hugely attended Wine and Craft Festival. Costs $30 for attendees to get in to taste wine and its not unusual for some folks to wander around a bit lit if you kwim.

Sigh..... Monday I will email them or call to cancel. The worst idea to me is holding a Wine festival with people drinking alcohol during a pandemic. Honestly how foolish and irresponsible is that?!!!!

Edited by Candybee